The Israel-Hamas War

10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Or because the centuries old Shia/Sunni rift...

Weird how out of hand this rift has gotten. Who woulda thought a simple disagreement over which exclamation to use, sheeeit or sonuva…, would come to this?

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

This happened in the Bay Area today, too.

I don't think the reactions on HB are much different than the rest of the country. Yes, we're aware that these activists want a positive outcome for their cause. And yes, we are more aware of their cause because of these actions.

But are they changing minds by blocking traffic to O'Hare, or the Golden Gate Bridge? Did climate activists change anyone's mind by throwing soup on paintings? I'm not thinking so. I think a lot of these annoyance/vandalism actions are detrimental to their cause. 

Protesting creatively isn't always the answer. 

'Free Palestine' protesters block part of I-880 in Oakland, Golden Gate Bridge

OAKLAND, Calif. - ‘Free Palestine’ protesters blocked several sections of freeway around the Bay Area on Monday, including a section of I-880 in Oakland and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Traffic was snarled after the demonstration took over the northbound lanes of Interstate Highway 880 at 5th and Embarcadero in Oakland on Monday and the southbound lanes of the Golden Gate Bridge

The CHP said the Oakland protest began about 6:30 a.m. Dozens of CHP officers were seen in riot gear watching as protesters waved flags near where they had painted the colors of Palestine on the highway's center median. 

Traffic was backed up past the Coliseum. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I hope they keep doing these stupid protests.  The more people they annoy the less support they will get.  

Again, while everyone hates their methods, their key messages have been gaining a lot of support from mainstream sources. It happens without you even noticing. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, while everyone hates their methods, their key messages have been gaining a lot of support from mainstream sources. It happens without you even noticing. 

Of course it has!  It is news!

But is goes on a cycle.

1.  Nut jobs block traffic

2.  Americans block traffic to support Palestine and US government taking notice.

3.  Divide in America as many are upset with protestors methods

4.  Nut jobs block traffic 

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I would argue that selective and curated social media content is far more responsible for their “message” gaining support than these kinds of protests. 

• TBH 1

Disturbing the peace

Disorderly conduct

Vandalism

Can anybody explain why the cops can’t simply go in , cuff ‘em and haul them off? Also it would be for their own good. It’s only a matter of time before somebody snaps and just drives through them.

• TBH 2
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Disturbing the peace

Disorderly conduct

Vandalism

Can anybody explain why the cops can’t simply go in , cuff ‘em and haul them off? Also it would be for their own good. It’s only a matter of time before somebody snaps and just drives through them.

I can't.  I don't get it either.

• TBH 1