What did we learn? Northwestern Version

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m seeing “personnel “issues and not so much coaching issues.   This should improve next year with more experience and hopefully key portal additions.  

Unfortunately, NU could “improve” but not show it in their record, because they won’t be playing 6 games against the current Big Ten West. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We need to beat Purdue. We only have 2 teams left with losing records. I think we can beat at least 1 of MSU/Wisconsin/Iowa, but it would be ideal to be bowl eligible prior to the Iowa game so our team can play without thinking about that.

MSU is horrid. 

Wisky will be a fun, tough game. Probably an L, but close I think. 

We are Iowa. Tie breaker goes to the home team Huskers.

30 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Some of our offensive issues are play calling, and some are just plain no blocking.  It is hard to blame one with out the other.  I think that Mickey and his staff from last year would have won the four games we have won this season, so it is going to take more than these four wins to really impress me with Rhule.  That really is no knock on Rhule, but rather an honest opinion right now.  Our defense is good, but we can't do anything if we don't bring constant pressure.  I good offense will torch this unit threw the air.  WE are too predictable on D.

Agree with the bolded.  We are getting better, but will struggle with a team that can air it out.

10 minutes ago, Micheal said:

I wonder if the Big Ten calls holding less than other conferences? 

Watching the B1G the past few years didn't even know it was a penalty anymore:D

IMO, the biggest issue with Haarberg in the passing game is that 1) because of his poor throwing motion when his passes miss, they usually sail high and wide, and 2) because Haarberg has little experience/inability to read defenses effectlvely, he’s making the initial read and throw down the middle.

This is not a good combination because high, sailing passes down the middle of the field can go right to defenders or get tipped but the intended receiver, which can also lead to INT’s. I’m not sure what the solution to this problem is, but it’s probably something we will just have to try to survive the best we can this year. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I’ve also watched the last 5 games of HH. It’s not pretty.  We’d have the exact same record if Sims didn’t get hurt IMO.

Our offense needs a spark.  Maybe trying Sims for a drive or 2 would provide that.

Sims’ play was without a doubt the worst QB play I’ve seen from Nebraska. I want us to stick with HH, but I’m gladly go to Chubba or anyone before Sims.

• Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I think Rhule and the coaches he's brought with him seem like they really know what they're doing. They're not just good with X's & O's, they seem to have figured out how to motivate this team in just one offseason. We aren't out there playing scared like we have for so many years.

We've rotated so many guys in on defense that it's crazy. I love how fast & fiery we are on that side of the ball.

Feels so good to have a winning record after the 7th game.

That first play by Haarberg...big yikes. I feel like he threw that pick the way he did because of how he leans out of his throws to side arm it. Fidone is slanting to his left and he leans out of it and backwards to his right and the ball is terribly short. Really bad stuff. But, the TD pass to Coleman was a great play and there were still a couple bright spots here and there on offense.

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Sims’ play was without a doubt the worst QB play I’ve seen from Nebraska. I want us to stick with HH, but I’m gladly go to Chubba or anyone before Sims.

The problem with Chubba is that NU needs to get a good chunk of their rushing yardage from the QB.  I don’t think Chubba offers that type of ability.

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think Rhule and the coaches he's brought with him seem like they really know what they're doing. They're not just good with X's & O's, they seem to have figured out how to motivate this team in just one offseason. We aren't out there playing scared like we have for so many years.

We've rotated so many guys in on defense that it's crazy. I love how fast & fiery we are on that side of the ball.

Feels so good to have a winning record after the 7th game.

That first play by Haarberg...big yikes. I feel like he threw that pick the way he did because of how he leans out of his throws to side arm it. Fidone is slanting to his left and he leans out of it and backwards to his right and the ball is terribly short. Really bad stuff.

It’s hard for coaches to look good at the “X’s and O’s” when they don’t have talent to execute them.