What did we learn? Northwestern Version

We are 128th out of 133 FBS teams in passing and 122 in points for. In comparison, Iowa is 54th in passing. Just some stats for those who think that our offense is doing their job. Winning is great no matter how ugly but our offense will not win games against teams with a pulse. Ironically, we have the same record as Clemson but somehow I doubt we could compete with Clemson with this offense. I am hoping today was just a very bad day for our offense. Credit to our defense who limited northwestern to 3 field goals. 

6 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I learned that words cannot express how horrible our offense is. We have no QB and Rhule’s decision not to do everything in his power to keep Casey Thompson is coming back to bite us. Our defense got us our last two wins in spite of our offense. We cannot keep winning if our offense plays like they did today. If Rhule does not see that Satterfield and his offense are inept, then he is blind. Nothing about our offense is working from coaching to OL to QB to running backs. I know we suffered a lot of injuries but guys were dropping passes and passes were horribly thrown and many play calls were sad and pathetic. A fan in the stands could have called better plays than satterfield did today. The only thing in our favor is that the BIG West is pathetic all around. 

There's no question the offense is bad.  But you should have realized how bad it was a month and a half ago instead of just coming to the realization now.  How is this still surprising people?

Look, I'm a fan of Casey, but even if he tried everything to keep Casey, Casey would still be the injury case he's always been and we'd very likely still be rolling with Haarberg.  

• TBH 1
8 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I learned that words cannot express how horrible our offense is. We have no QB and Rhule’s decision not to do everything in his power to keep Casey Thompson is coming back to bite us. Our defense got us our last two wins in spite of our offense. We cannot keep winning if our offense plays like they did today. If Rhule does not see that Satterfield and his offense are inept, then he is blind. Nothing about our offense is working from coaching to OL to QB to running backs. I know we suffered a lot of injuries but guys were dropping passes and passes were horribly thrown and many play calls were sad and pathetic. A fan in the stands could have called better plays than satterfield did today. The only thing in our favor is that the BIG West is pathetic all around. 

Play calling is not bad.  Execution is.  The first play #84 is running up the sideline with no one on him.  But HH decides to throw a bad pass to his roommate instead and it gets picked off.  There were multiple times there were guys running wide open in what I would consider his field of view and he decided to throw the underneath route.  He only connected with coleman because it was supposed to go to coleman and he didn't have to read anything 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

4-1 since moving on from Sims.  People still arguing for him to play either have suspicious motives or didn't watch the first 2 games at all.

Two games that were the first under an entirely new coaching staff for the program.  They are not even in the Minnesota game without Sims legs.

Its fine if they stick with HH, but wondering about the performance of Sims after everything has stabilized is not unreasonable in my opinion.

HH is not very good.  It’s likely Sims is not either, but it’d be interesting to see him get a series or two.  That being said, I trust the coaches are making the decision they feel gives them the best chance to win.

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 3
1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Two games that were the first under an entirely new coaching staff for the program.  They are not even in the Minnesota game without Sims legs.

It’s fine if they stick with HH, but wondering about the performance of Sims after everything has stabilized is not unreasonable in my opinion.

HH is not very good.  It’s likely Sims is not either, but it’d be interesting to see him get a series or two.  That being said, I trust the coaches are making the decision they feel gives them the best chance to win.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, The Dude said:

4-1 since moving on from Sims.  People still arguing for him to play either have suspicious motives or didn't watch the first 2 games at all.

Or those people realize our offense is sputtering at best and the QB play is pretty dang bad. Take Michigan out of the equation because neither QB was going to win that one and you’re left with Sims playing against our 2 hardest (at the time) opponents and Haarberg playing against 4 incredibly bad opponents.

Yes, Sims ball security and decision making was horrible in those two games but he still would seem to be the better QB if he can fix the turnover issue. Considering how absolutely anemic our offense has been, it’s highly understandable that people would like to give him another chance (on a very short leash). He’s likely not as good at throwing touchless passes and 10,000 MPH fastballs 2 feet behind receivers that are only 20 feet away though, so you may be right.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

Next year's starting QB is not on the roster right.  The only way HH or Simms start any games next year is if they decide to stick around as a backup and there are injuries.  I would just worry about winning and less about style points.  As long as we keep winning, I'd stick with HH.  I wouldn't have been heartbroken if Simms had started the 2nd half, though.  Fidone seriously needs to catch those balls, though, even if he wasn't the best option on those plays,  those balls should be caught by any college starter.

• Plus1 2

I think it's totally reasonable to wonder what Sims could do against this level of competition. His upside is way higher, but his down side is also historically way way lower. Haarberg seems to have hit his ceiling for the year, and is slightly better in the turnover game by not having them at critical moments but that's about it.

This offense is so beat up now I'm not sure it matters who you trot out there behind center at this point. Time to get out the S&C pitch forks.

• Plus1 3
41 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Next year's starting QB is not on the roster right.  The only way HH or Simms start any games next year is if they decide to stick around as a backup and there are injuries.  I would just worry about winning and less about style points.  As long as we keep winning, I'd stick with HH.  I wouldn't have been heartbroken if Simms had started the 2nd half, though.  Fidone seriously needs to catch those balls, though, even if he wasn't the best option on those plays,  those balls should be caught by any college starter.

I really don't like to name names but the one player we seem to target who is a tight end, rated as a 4 star, often hurt, is not impressive- too many drops, never seems to be that open and rarely shows any running skills after the balls he does catch.- off that topic, do we ever throw to a running back outlet, instead of trying to fit the ball into a TE who is covered running across the middle? it might be a better option.

44 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

There was only one missed ball which I would put on Fidone, and he had a LB hugging him from behind. Yes, Fidone had 2 hands on the 2nd INT which Haarberg threw.  But, that was a terrible pass, as it was high and wide. Anytime that throw is made with that much velocity and in a short distance, it has to be on the receiver’s body. Any pass going high or wide is asking the be intercepted. 

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

100% correct.  I'd like to see Gronowski from South Dakota state.