2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/news/top-10-quarterbacks-transfer-portal-ncaa-updated-cam-ward-dante-moore-will-howard/ On3 top 10 updated transfer portal qb list.  Nebraska coaches have reached out to the first, third and eighth ranked qb.  Ward is first, Howard is third, and McCord is eighth.  I think a lot of analyst are ranking McCord low bc they expected more from him with the weapons he had.  He went 11-1.  It shouldn't have been all on him bc Ohio State lost to Michigan.  They didn't run the ball well either that game.  Ohio State and all the other dominant teams take a 11-1 record for granted.  Nebraskan's would be thrilled to go 11-1 and play in the Cotton Bowl.  Ryan Day is apparently on the hot seat bc he has lost to Michigan three times in a row and hasn't won a National Championship.  Win a Championship or we will find someone who will type mentality Ohio State has.

On3's ratings seem suspect to me and don't really measure the needs of a particular team. There are different ratings everywhere you look...equally suspect. I'll go with the proven guy with the strong accurate arm, nice touch, and experience with the conference.

I'm a big fan of grabbing 4-5 guys out of the portal that you think can help.  Sounds like we'll be on the low end of numbers this year.

But hopefully we can hit better than last year.  Looking at the list, we got really solid guys in Ben Scott and Marco Ortiz (for a few snaps per game).  Kemp was OK but I was hoping for more.  Sherman was decent but not a game-changer.  Fleeks contributed a little.

But then you go through Sims, Gilbert, Hood, Knaak, Jeudy, Wallin, Borders and Collier and there's not a lot of contributions from that list.  Some are still fairly young but I'd like most of my portal guys to be a bit more instant-impact.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, Mavric said:

I'm a big fan of grabbing 4-5 guys out of the portal that you think can help.  Sounds like we'll be on the low end of numbers this year.

But hopefully we can hit better than last year.  Looking at the list, we got really solid guys in Ben Scott and Marco Ortiz (for a few snaps per game).  Kemp was OK but I was hoping for more.  Sherman was decent but not a game-changer.  Fleeks contributed a little.

But then you go through Sims, Gilbert, Hood, Knaak, Jeudy, Wallin, Borders and Collier and there's not a lot of contributions from that list.  Some are still fairly young but I'd like most of my portal guys to be a bit more instant-impact.

Definitely a lot of swings last year, and I do think Jeudy, Borders, and Knaak still have the potential to be hits. Hood too - I'm still skeptical there, but he seems engaged peer recruiting so if he stays focused and in shape this offseason anything could happen. I thought Wallin was a juco? In any case,  he played the first 4 games, didn't stick out as a negative, and used a redshirt. Jeudy rotated in a fair amount and was sometimes good, there's just a lot of depth on the DL. For having a blackshirt at the start of the year I didn't see anything from Borders on the field, and Collier seemed to go from potential starter in the spring, to backup in the fall, to completely off the depth chart during the season.

I'm ok with taking a guy or two that isn't expected to contribute right away, but yeah last year I think everyone had the opportunity to and several didn't make it happen. 

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Leavitt has visited Utah and Arizona State.  Waiting for the invite to visit Lincoln.  Still has four years of eligibility.

Sounds like he was turned off that we were going after 1 year starters as he wants a starting job (which is pretty bold for a RFr who this staff hasn't seen everyday in practice).

But then why go to Utah (Rising w/ 1 year left) or ASU (started TFr Rashada in 3 games before he got hurt)?

Optimally we would take a 1 year guy and Leavitt so he could be ready to battle for the job in 2025.

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Definitely a lot of swings last year, and I do think Jeudy, Borders, and Knaak still have the potential to be hits. Hood too - I'm still skeptical there, but he seems engaged peer recruiting so if he stays focused and in shape this offseason anything could happen. I thought Wallin was a juco? In any case,  he played the first 4 games, didn't stick out as a negative, and used a redshirt. Jeudy rotated in a fair amount and was sometimes good, there's just a lot of depth on the DL. For having a blackshirt at the start of the year I didn't see anything from Borders on the field, and Collier seemed to go from potential starter in the spring, to backup in the fall, to completely off the depth chart during the season.

I'm ok with taking a guy or two that isn't expected to contribute right away, but yeah last year I think everyone had the opportunity to and several didn't make it happen. 

I'm encouraged when there are guys like Jeudy that showed flashes of being good.  But, the position is deep enough that the team didn't need to rely on him full time.  That allows him to develop while better players are making plays.

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Wallin was a JUCO guy, more of a normal recruit than a transfer portal guy. Knaak seems young and that he will contribute soon. Borders played a fair amount but definitely didn't stand out.

I agree with you, going to the portal should be someone who is more of an instant impact guy, or a game-changer.

I think we just ended up with guys who were rotational guys, or improvements over the options of a freshman wideout.

15 minutes ago, GSG said:

If you have the stomach for it, Zach Smith has a lot of content on McCord over the past 10 days or so

OK, against my better judgment, I am going to post one. Lots of NSFW language. Smith blames McCord's dad for being too involved, etc. The lights are too big at a "playoff contender/blue blood" like tOSU.

• Haha 1