2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

Our RB room isn't as bad as what some think.  RJ and EJ have proven to be serviceable and could actually be every down guys if needed.  Ervin just needs to catch a break and stay healthy.  Ives and Dante are young but have TONS of potential and just need some game reps.  We essentially have everyone back from last year minus Grant and we were 2nd in the B1G in rushing.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5
4 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Our RB room isn't as bad as what some think.  RJ and EJ have proven to be serviceable and could actually be every down guys if needed.  Ervin just needs to catch a break and stay healthy.  Ives and Dante are young but have TONS of potential and just need some game reps.  We essentially have everyone back from last year minus Grant and we were 2nd in the B1G in rushing.  

2nd in rushing from QB play not anything from RBs. 

Ervin is average when healthy (he never is) 

Johnson is totally average when healthy and hasn’t done anything lately 

EJ is good but I think he is just being compared to below average running backs 

Ives has done nothing & so has Dante. Not to say they can’t produce but this is the great unknown. 

there is a lot of IFs. I think talent wise we will be average to below average in the conference. Which is not great considering we will have to get rushing yards from the backs this year and not QB play. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

I was really hoping to see the faintest whisper of smoke around Damien Martinez from Oregon State possibly considering Nebraska but that appears to be no dice. Dude would've been the ideal smashmouth RB we hope Dowdell becomes. I simultaneously think we're one RB short while also hoping Ervin/RJ/EJ and co make the leap.

• Plus1 1

55 minutes ago, Decked said:

there is a lot of IFs. I think talent wise we will be average to below average in the conference. Which is not great considering we will have to get rushing yards from the backs this year and not QB play. 

And, better QB will probably help that.

• TBH 2
17 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I'm talking scholarship players!

Right, but my point is just because somebody thinks we have 95 scholarship players doesn't mean we do. Several prominent players who were on scholarship at one point, either here or at another school, are not technically on scholarship now. The Athletic just had an article about it ($), some teams focus their NIL on their top players and others use it to add a few scholarship-caliber players over the 85 limit. We're in the latter group.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Decked said:

2nd in rushing from QB play not anything from RBs. 

Ervin is average when healthy (he never is) 

Johnson is totally average when healthy and hasn’t done anything lately 

EJ is good but I think he is just being compared to below average running backs 

Ives has done nothing & so has Dante. Not to say they can’t produce but this is the great unknown. 

Being a bit dramatic on the QB rushing.  We had 847 combined rushing yards from the 3 QBs and had 1300 yards combined from the RBs and WRs.  

HH led the team with 477 yards on 120 carries while Grant had 413 yards on 104 carries and EJ had 411 yards on 90 carries.   Grant and EJ's combined had almost as many rushing yards as all 3 QBs.   

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, brophog said:

I think most of these guys Nebraska has been linked to are just us doing our due diligence. You can never have enough talented players.

Yeah, I wouldn't Rhule anything out, but I'd be surprised if we added more than a guy or two.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
On 4/18/2024 at 9:30 AM, Decked said:

Improved passing game and OL play will make our backs look a lot better than in recent past. It's hard for a RB to shine when the passing threat is practically nonexistent, that is unless you have an OL like Nebraska had in the 90s

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3