Post-Nebraska Jobs of Frank Solich and Bo Pelini

winner00

On 11/10/2023 at 8:26 AM, winner00 said:

If they were so great, then why did Solich end up as a MAC coach after being fire, and why did Pelini end up as an FCS coach? Interesting how everybody complained about us firing Solich and Pelini, but no power conference team (and no FBS team in Pelini's case) hired them themselves.

Also, why did they go 115-82 and 33-28 against the lousy competition at their new jobs if they were so great? Wouldn't just about any Power 5 level (let alone Nebraska level) coach beat just about everybody while coaching at those lower levels?

Pelini would have had a MUCH bigger job if it wasn't for the way his buyout with Nebraska was structured.

• Haha 6

On 11/11/2023 at 7:31 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

Threads on Solich/Pelini and a move back to the Big 12 in the same week?  It’s not even the off-season!!!

Subconsciously we know it's basically the offseason already as odds are we're not making a bowl and we can't function as an offense in 2023. It's a coping mechanism. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
On 11/10/2023 at 10:17 AM, gossamorharpy said:

With the amount of disarray around Husker football the past decade, I'm genuinely curious if you wake up everyday just pissed off at the respect and longing fans have for the Pelini/solich days?  Find a hobby man, not worth it to be thinking about something so random

Not all fans respect/long for the Solich/Pelini days. People point to Pelini's record here but conveniently forget all of the embarrasing blowout losses he had.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

I think that we all know now that this place has made mistakes in hiring and firing.  Never should have fired Solich and Pelini.  CAn't even bring my self to say that Callahan was not our worst hire at this point.  His offenses were legit and brought in talent, especially O-line players.  None matters now.  We are where we are, and frankly, with the change in football, don't see us getting back to any level of eliteness.  We might manage to win 7-8 games a season at some point, but we are miles away.  Still do not have the size and athletes we need to compete.  We can not get a top 10 QB to commit here.  We can not get o-line players who want to improve and do better.  I think we are two or three position coaches away from improving this roster, but still are challenged in all areas.  Transfer portal is a good option, but most players are not looking to come here.  NIL to me has not produced any dividends.  Roll out the bags and start enticing the talent to come here. The message will spread.

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3

7 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Never should have fired Solich and Pelini.

I strenuously disagree with this statement on both accounts. 

Solich was handed a Maserati and turned it into a Chevy van. He also broke a 40ish year winning record streak which is unforgivable imo.

Pelini had multiple embarrassing blowout losses almost every year and practically dared the athletic department to fire him while talking crap about the fans and athletic department to the team. (Audio tapes anyone?)

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 4
On 11/11/2023 at 3:32 PM, HuskerX said:

Pelini would have had a MUCH bigger job if it wasn't for the way his buyout with Nebraska was structured.

Are you suggesting that Pelini would have gotten a P5 job but the fact his buyout from NU would have been reduced kept him from taking the position? 

If this was true I would lose ALL respect I have for Pelini as a person. And it would remove any lingering doubt I have that we were right to fire him; not because it would be unethical but because (if true) he obviously doesn't have the drive to be the best. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:32 PM, LennynSquiggy said:

I strenuously disagree with this statement on both accounts. 

Solich was handed a Maserati and turned it into a Chevy van. He also broke a 40ish year winning record streak which is unforgivable imo.

Pelini had multiple embarrassing blowout losses almost every year and practically dared the athletic department to fire him while talking crap about the fans and athletic department to the team. (Audio tapes anyone?)

Yeah, exactly.

Solich also broke a similarly long streak of 9 win seasons. He should have been fired a year earlier than he was.

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1