Fire Satterfield

Decked

7 hours ago, Undone said:

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of our fans that constantly say "we don't have an offensive identity" don't actually know what they'd change if given the chance.

One thing I noticed was that starting in the Wisconsin game, we kind of opened up the field. Seems to me that was because Purdy can actually:

A) Hit receivers as they're breaking open with nice, crisp throws.

B) Make his reads faster and then scrambles for yards if the pass play isn't there.

There was almost nothing I didn't like about what we tried to do against Wisconsin & Iowa...we just turned the ball over when we shouldn't have, and our run blocking was poor against Iowa.

How does an offensive overhaul change the turnovers? That's really just a basic "between the ears" thing. I think it's actually largely psychological; these guys just feel so much pressure.

The pressure comes from many directions. It comes from being recognized and asked for autographs while you're waiting in line for your Chipotle burrito at 13th & 'Q.' It comes from so many interviews after just a Tuesday practice. It comes from being expected every season to be "a part of something big in turning this historic program around."

Rhule is going to have to sort out the psychological aspect of this, IMO.

There are a lot of fans that, if the offense isn’t churning out 450 yards and 35 points per game….their go to is, “we don’t have an identity”.  It allows them to participate in discussions without commenting on specifics. 

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

One think I have learned about NU over the years and media.  We are the most loyal fans in the country.  We will click on any link with even the most remote chance of Husker news.  I know I clicked on it.  And as much as I bag on Satt, I also thought it could be commentary on the OL, RB's, receivers etc....not just Satt.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
58 minutes ago, lo country said:

One think I have learned about NU over the years and media.  We are the most loyal fans in the country.  We will click on any link with even the most remote chance of Husker news.  I know I clicked on it.  And as much as I bag on Satt, I also thought it could be commentary on the OL, RB's, receivers etc....not just Satt.

Regarding the Twitter link, I'm sure it really is a thing where if the narrative is that Satterfield can't get any production and everyone believes that, it could be hard to land a good passer. So I'm definitely going to give you that.

We could probably have our pick of the better run-first guys. But that's not what we need to get out of this purgatory.

So it could be hard to convince the kid that's a good passer in the portal to come to Lincoln. Maybe.

If I was Rhule and I'm talking to a recruit that's in Purdy's basic zip code (read: good passer and can also run), I'm going to show him film of the Wisconsin game and say "this is what we want to do, and you're going to have this 6'4" burner to throw fades & posts to."

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Regarding the Twitter link, I'm sure it really is a thing where if the narrative is that Satterfield can't get any production and everyone believes that, it could be hard to land a good passer. So I'm definitely going to give you that.

We could probably have our pick of the better run-first guys. But that's not what we need to get out of this purgatory.

So it could be hard to convince the kid that's a good passer in the portal to come to Lincoln. Maybe.

If I was Rhule and I'm talking to a recruit that's in Purdy's basic zip code (read: good passer and can also run), I'm going to show him film of the Wisconsin game and say "this is what we want to do, and you're going to have this 6'4" burner to throw fades & posts to."

Agree with you.  Satt is a hot button topic and gets "clicks".  Pretty polarizing guy at the moment.  And I do think it was geared towards you won't be a traditional QB and go there.  

I think that the best for NU in the B1G would be to modify what Michigan is doing.  Use the deep attacking pass and shorter stuff as an extension of the run, BUT use the QB more in the run game than they do with JJ.  And we don't have to do either as well as Michigan. They are a very physical down hill runing team, but use a "pro-style O".   Limit TO's, play sound football and lean on the D.    As much as I love a QB first run game, we haven't made it a season without the QB knocked out for a few games or more since joing the B1G.  Run enough to be a threat (designed runs and scrambles), but no be the leading rusher.  I like what Clemson has done with their QB's.  If we continue to use the QB as our primary runner, we will need multiple guys in the portal.  We were down to an injured Chubba for the last few games....

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I think that the best for NU in the B1G would be to modify what Michigan is doing.  Use the deep attacking pass and shorter stuff as an extension of the run, BUT use the QB more in the run game than they do with JJ.  And we don't have to do either as well as Michigan. They are a very physical down hill runing team, but use a "pro-style O".   Limit TO's, play sound football and lean on the D.    As much as I love a QB first run game, we haven't made it a season without the QB knocked out for a few games or more since joing the B1G.  Run enough to be a threat (designed runs and scrambles), but no be the leading rusher.  I like what Clemson has done with their QB's.  If we continue to use the QB as our primary runner, we will need multiple guys in the portal.  We were down to an injured Chubba for the last few games....

If Chubba hadn't been hurt, he probably gets the start against Northern Illinois. If he does, being that I believe his ceiling is higher than Haarberg's & Sims', I think that by the time we hit the Michigan State game he has us scoring a few more points per game than what we had with Haarberg.

I can't prove any of that and I'm not expecting anybody to go off of it as it it's entirely true.

The problem this season was turnovers (and earlier in the year dumb penalties were still showing up also). If coaching or scheme is the root cause of those problems, then I'm praying we make a change in either of those areas in the offseason. Like, I really am.

I just don't think coaching or scheme is the root cause.

• Plus1 5
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

If Chubba hadn't been hurt, he probably gets the start against Northern Illinois. If he does, being that I believe his ceiling is higher than Haarberg's & Sims', I think that by the time we hit the Michigan State game he has us scoring a few more points per game than what we had with Haarberg.

I can't prove any of that and I'm not expecting anybody to go off of it as it it's entirely true.

The problem this season was turnovers (and earlier in the year dumb penalties were still showing up also). If coaching or scheme is the root cause of those problems, then I'm praying we make a change in either of those areas in the offseason. Like, I really am.

I just don't think coaching or scheme is the root cause.

Obviously unknowable but I tend to agree with you.

I think Sims actually does have the best arm.  He just can't make good decisions with the ball.

HH does some nice things but once teams could prep for the option, his effectiveness went down.

Purdy throws a good ball and is more mobile than I expected.  He obviously made two crappy throws at the end of games but I think he could be serviceable.  And maybe better than that if he can get more reps.  Definitely good enough to push for the job with whoever comes in via the portal.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Purdy throws a good ball and is more mobile than I expected.  He obviously made two crappy throws at the end of games but I think he could be serviceable.  And maybe better than that if he can get more reps.  Definitely good enough to push for the job with whoever comes in via the portal.

That's what I'm thinking.

Back to turnovers: I remember getting kind of s*** on for making comments here after the spring game about all of the fumbles there. I was told it wouldn't translate at all to the season. I can even look up those posts just for fun.    :)

Anyway...it was indicative of what was to come. The turnovers existed way before Rhule got here. And yes, then they got even worse. This staff consists of adults who I'm positive are capable of thinking & strategizing; if they don't fix it by the first game of next year, Rhule has to look at firing Satterfield.

But let's first get a QB in there who can read a defense and threaten a team with his arm. That guy might be Purdy. That's the starting point for me.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

The number of TO’s we had would doom any team regardless of scheme or identity.  No way to win when you do that.  As evidenced by our 4 game losing streak and early losses.  Anxious to see a healthy Chubba with another year of coaching where he is getting some quality reps and attention as QB1.  Unsure how many reps he got being injured, Sims going down and the staff revamping to  get HH ready.  We don’t need a Bo Nix or McCarthy back there or even the 2nd coming of TF.  We need serviceable.  Make the rudimentary basic throws, read a D and be mobile enough to avoid sacks and some designed runs.  A lot of teams are doing well with average QB play.  Get that and build from there…..really wish we gone bowling for the extra practices alone tbh.

• TBH 2
3 hours ago, lo country said:

The number of TO’s we had would doom any team regardless of scheme or identity.  No way to win when you do that.  As evidenced by our 4 game losing streak and early losses.  Anxious to see a healthy Chubba with another year of coaching where he is getting some quality reps and attention as QB1.  Unsure how many reps he got being injured, Sims going down and the staff revamping to  get HH ready.  We don’t need a Bo Nix or McCarthy back there or even the 2nd coming of TF.  We need serviceable.  Make the rudimentary basic throws, read a D and be mobile enough to avoid sacks and some designed runs.  A lot of teams are doing well with average QB play.  Get that and build from there…..really wish we gone bowling for the extra practices alone tbh.

I think there was a huge gap here this year.

• TBH 1
6 hours ago, lo country said:

TO’s killed any chance of reaching goals/expectations. Sadly for NU, it hasn’t just been this one season… How do you fix it?

I think continued S/C, coaching ball security, and scheming to minimize dumb mistakes (not running routes next to each other…) would be a starting point.

• Oh Yeah! 3