What did we learn? Wiscy Edition

Hammerhead

22 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I learned from the national broadcasters that Chubba Purdy had a great fall camp, and the only reason he hadn't been in the QB mix was a lingering groin injury. 

Does anyone here remember Chubba Purdy's lingering groin injury? And being told that was the reason he was an active but unused third stringer? 

It came to light either after the CU game or NIU game.  Rhule was asked about HH over Chubba after Sims ankle injury and said HH was QB2 "right now" because of other injuries (meaning Chubba).  It sounded to me like Chubba won the 2nd string job in fall camp but got injured towards to end that elevated HH.

Also, Sean Callahan has reported (not sure if others said the same) for the past 6 weeks or so that Chubba really wasn't healthy enough to be an option at QB.  Supposedly offseason groin surgery is in the cards.

• Plus1 2

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

The last drive of regulation was an absolute disaster.

Given this offense, playing at Camp Randall, having to go the length of the field, and scoring a field goal to force overtime, I'd call that quite a bit less than a disaster.

A disaster would have been a meek three and out, a string of drive killing penalties, a keystone cops trick play gone awry, or, God forbid, going for the touchdown instead of the sure-thing field goal and throwing an interception --- the very thing the coaches were supposed to learn from last week.

Overtime was an absolute disaster.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
16 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

It's not even debatable...we are 100% better

Eh, it's highly debatable. This game felt a lot like 2021 Frost, when the Huskers were in position to beat several teams with considerably more talent (including Michigan, Ohio State and Oklahoma) before last-second mistakes and letdowns. 

I'm thinking this Nebraska team has considerably less developed and uninjured talent than that 2021 team did, so I'm good with giving Rhule years 2 and 3 to see what he can do as a turnaround artist. But this team is looking maybe one or two wins better against the weakest schedule I've ever scene, so 100% better is a helluva stretch. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

It came to light either after the CU game or NIU game.  Rhule was asked about HH over Chubba after Sims ankle injury and said HH was QB2 "right now" because of other injuries (meaning Chubba).  It sounded to me like Chubba won the 2nd string job in fall camp but got injured towards to end that elevated HH.

Also, Sean Callahan has reported (not sure if others said the same) for the past 6 weeks or so that Chubba really wasn't healthy enough to be an option at QB.  Supposedly offseason groin surgery is in the cards.

I guess. Just seems we've had multiple threads talking about how bad Purdy must be to not be playing, and I don't remember injuries coming up. He was always practicing and in uniform and stepped in for a couple plays IIRC. So it must have been a "full strength" issue and/or lingering faith HH or Sims would turn themselves around. 

• Plus1 1

This game showed me that in the end it isn’t qb play that has been hampering us. Obviously Sims and HH have not helped the situation but Purdy played a clean game with really pretty good stats and we still lost, like terribly. Go up 14 then lay an egg the rest of the game?? Like come on man!

100 percent in play calling, clock management, special teams (anyone else blocks that punt and our guy totally holds up and bails??) and of course crappy Oline play. 

unfortunately a portal qb is not going to save this abortion of a program

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I learned that, even though most Husker fans were expecting a 5-7 or 7-5 season, they still get really pissed off when that happens.

It's more how the 7 losses (let's be real about what Iowa will do) came about than the fact there are 7 losses. The only loss where I can just simply say "Yep we got our asses beat" was Michigan, I don't hold that one against the team at all. The rest?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Given this offense, playing at Camp Randall, having to go the length of the field, and scoring a field goal to force overtime, I'd call that quite a bit less than a disaster.

A disaster would have been a meek three and out, a string of drive killing penalties, a keystone cops trick play gone awry, or, God forbid, going for the touchdown instead of the sure-thing field goal and throwing an interception --- the very thing the coaches were supposed to learn from last week.

Overtime was an absolute disaster.  

I mean from a time-management standpoint, which is most of what I talked in my post.  Obviously we still scored, so that was good.  But we had a chance to win and basically passed.

• Plus1 2