Proud of Coach Rhule

tmfr15

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Funny how many used to blame injuries on poor S&C and we seem to have had more injuries this year than we have for a long time.

Personally, I haven’t and am not referring to injuries when referencing SC. I am solely talking about power, push, finishing plays

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

22 hours ago, Undone said:

But it's in the zip code at least of "s***ing the bed" as a program if we lose this game to make it four straight losses to end the season. I think that can be true and also "we're at least slightly better than we ever were in the last six years" at the same time if we lose to Iowa.

This year is the easiest schedule we've had in ages. Frankly, if we can't even make a bowl game with this schedule, I would consider it a step backwards overall compared to the Frost era.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • TBH 2
23 minutes ago, Toe said:

This year is the easiest schedule we've had in ages. Frankly, if we can't even make a bowl game with this schedule, I would consider it a step backwards overall compared to the Frost era.

Agreed, we have taken steps back in every facet except defense.

We finish 5-7 and this program is in no better condition than what frost left it. I would say worse as the offense is not only boring and anemic, it’s gut wrenchingly cringe. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 4
6 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

We finish 5-7 and this program is in no better condition than what frost left it. I would say worse as the offense is not only boring and anemic, it’s gut wrenchingly cringe. 

I understand what you are saying. I would be willingly to bet that Temple and Baylor fans said the same thing in Rhule's first couple years in both places. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
9 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

Would have loved to see more immediate results, but never dreamed of judging the condition of the program for at least a couple more seasons.

You should join me. 

(be honest, you'll still be complaining if we finish 6-6)

• TBH 4

42 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

While I am as disappointed as much as anyone and agree with your assessment…. We can’t ignore the fact that we have played many many games with 75-85% back ups (some cases 3rd string guys) that 

1. aren’t as good as the starters

2. weren’t ready for Big 10 competition 

3.  Probably didn’t get rep ( in season)

I understand, and am embarrassed by our inept offense, but I truly believe that we pull out a few of those close losses (MSU, Maryland, Wiscy) if we were remotely playing the number 1 guys. If we just pull out 1 game ( even with depleted offense) the tone and mood on here is completely different!

• TBH 4
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Would have loved to see more immediate results, but never dreamed of judging the condition of the program for at least a couple more seasons.

You should join me. 

(be honest, you'll still be complaining if we finish 6-6)

I will be honest. I would be eh ok with 6-6 and a bowl. That’s measurable progress… I’ll explain…

that means we beat a 9-2 Iowa. That means they are able to pull themselves up from a 3 game skid and beat a team with a winning record. That means we have don’t have a losing record for the first time since Riley.   Thats just off the top of my head without looking up all of the mind numbing stats from the last decade or so that make a 6-6 record feel like going to the B1G championship. 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I understand what you are saying. I would be willingly to bet that Temple and Baylor fans said the same thing in Rhule's first couple years in both places. 

Sure we are “ahead of schedule” but it still feels like business as usual when it comes to HOW we are losing these games. Too much to rehash in one post but we are still masters at shooting ourselves in the foot and that does not bode well.

44 minutes ago, HANC said:

While I am as disappointed as much as anyone and agree with your assessment…. We can’t ignore the fact that we have played many many games with 75-85% back ups (some cases 3rd string guys) that 

1. aren’t as good as the starters

2. weren’t ready for Big 10 competition 

3.  Probably didn’t get rep ( in season)

I understand, and am embarrassed by our inept offense, but I truly believe that we pull out a few of those close losses (MSU, Maryland, Wiscy) if we were remotely playing the number 1 guys. If we just pull out 1 game ( even with depleted offense) the tone and mood on here is completely different!

I agree it would be a whole new world if we went 6-6. That means they overcame some adversity, I don’t really know if our starters being healthy changes that. Washington maybe our one loss that really hurt this team. Everyone else,  their replacements have done just fine or better than they were

Edit: you are probably right if the guys starting now had more reps in camp it may be a completely better team, which begs the question what were the coaches looking at that made these guys so low in the depth chart? 

7 minutes ago, Scofrosghost said:

I agree it would be a whole new world if we went 6-6. That means they overcame some adversity, I don’t really know if our starters being healthy changes that. Washington maybe our one loss that really hurt this team. Everyone else,  their replacements have done just fine or better than they were

Edit: you are probably right if the guys starting now had more reps in camp it may be a completely better team, which begs the question what we’re the coaches looking at that made these guys so low in the depth chart? 

You assume the starters wouldn’t have improved as the season went on like some of the guys playing now have.  

• Haha 1
On 11/22/2023 at 1:53 PM, Scofrosghost said:

I will be honest. I would be eh ok with 6-6 and a bowl. That’s measurable progress… I’ll explain…

that means we beat a 9-2 Iowa. That means they are able to pull themselves up from a 3 game skid and beat a team with a winning record. That means we have a winning record for the first time since Riley.   Thats just off the top of my head without looking up all of the mind numbing stats from the last decade or so that make a 6-6 record feel like going to the B1G championship. 

I'll throw out a hot take and say Iowa is the worst 9-2 team of all time.  I'm willing to bet no other 9-2 team in history has the worst ranked offense in college football. 

• TBH 2

Oh, God. A typical loser thread with a loser attitude.

All that matters is that we're 5-6 while in a s#!tty division. We also did not play eitherWho f#&%ing cares about what his pressers sound like? My God, I doubt there's any coach in college football that doesn't give good sounding pressers.

The OP probably congratulated Scott Frost for having nice pressers, too.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You assume the starters wouldn’t have improved as the season went on like some of the guys playing now have.  

I see where you are coming from but I will counter with; EJ came in and hit the ground running, Purdy hit the ground running except for one bad decision in the Maryland game. The left side of the line has become markedly more serviceable since Corcoran and Piper went down. My point is the replacements haven’t needed time to get better than who they were replacing and no amount of time was going to make that left side of the line better.