Iowa Game What did we learn?

TGHusker

7 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

It is sad when you realize that over the span of two decades we went from kings of the big 12 to doormats of the big ten. This happens when we learn to settle for mediocre and give piss poor performance excuses. It is the QB, no it is the refs, no it is the injuries, no it is the coaches first year here, no it is that previous coach left cupboard empty, no it is the OC, no it is the special teams, no it is recruiting, no it’s adidas. No matter what, it is always something we can point at to excuse the fact that we have become a get rich scheme for incompetent coaches who give nice speeches but never do anything to fix the issues. For a decade now, we have had the worst special teams play, worst penalty record, worst turnover record, yet every coach we hired have not been able to fix these glaring issues. Instead, we give excuses, wait for another year full of hope, only to be back here again watching so many other teams with worst talent than us get bowl eligible and we end our season listening to more BS of how next year things will be better. If that is not a football equivalent of a hell loop, I don’t know what is. 

Yep there is a lot of stuff that I and many other fans have seen for years. We need accountability, development, identity. And I’ll call out our NIL. It should be one of the best in CFB and I haven’t seen squat. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

13 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Yep there is a lot of stuff that I and many other fans have seen for years. We need accountability, development, identity. And I’ll call out our NIL. It should be one of the best in CFB and I haven’t seen squat. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-athletics/2023/06/139191/ohio-state-athletics-ranks-no-1-in-athletics-revenue-and-expenses-for-2022-fiscal-year

I’m not going to pretend I know how to go about fixing this program, but it takes money to make money, and currently Nebraska is sustaining annual profits by operating like the Seattle Mariners or Oakland Athletics.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

It is sad when you realize that over the span of two decades we went from kings of the big 12 to doormats of the big ten. This happens when we learn to settle for mediocre and give piss poor performance excuses.

First question, when you say 'we', who are you talking about? The fans? The athletic department? The coaches? The players?

Second question, if us being bad is the result of 'settling' for bad performances, is your premise that the key to being successful is nothing more than just pure will power? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

It is sad when you realize that over the span of two decades we went from kings of the big 12 to doormats of the big ten. This happens when we learn to settle for mediocre and give piss poor performance excuses. It is the QB, no it is the refs, no it is the injuries, no it is the coaches first year here, no it is that previous coach left cupboard empty, no it is the OC, no it is the special teams, no it is recruiting, no it’s adidas. No matter what, it is always something we can point at to excuse the fact that we have become a get rich scheme for incompetent coaches who give nice speeches but never do anything to fix the issues. For a decade now, we have had the worst special teams play, worst penalty record, worst turnover record, yet every coach we hired have not been able to fix these glaring issues. Instead, we give excuses, wait for another year full of hope, only to be back here again watching so many other teams with worst talent than us get bowl eligible and we end our season listening to more BS of how next year things will be better. If that is not a football equivalent of a hell loop, I don’t know what is. 

To be fair, I don’t think there’s many teams we played this year that would voluntarily switch “talent” with us and prefer to have our roster on gameday.  Offensively, this was one of the least talented, if not the least, I’ve witnessed for Nebraska in my life. 09 Zac lee would’ve looked like a savior compared to this year 

"I know people always think you fix things by, like, 'Hey, let's go get this player or that player.' We've got a lot of really good players here.  And part of fixing these close losses is just asking each player to get half a point better and learn from these things and understand situational football."

"We'll get back to work.  Too often people complain and whine and talk and all those things. We're going to work. I think we've got the young players to do it, so we'll be back."

- Rhule

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I learned that it's hard to rank the most soul crushing Nebraska losses in the last 10 years, but Friday is definitely in the Top 20. 

I get you, but for me it was not. It was more like” ok, that’s where it goes off track this time” There is a certain expectation of doom.

However, the last second meltdowns are starting to affect my fandom. I’m still traveling to games and still watching them when I’m not there, but the gusto is gone.   

• TBH 2
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

"I know people always think you fix things by, like, 'Hey, let's go get this player or that player.' We've got a lot of really good players here.  And part of fixing these close losses is just asking each player to get half a point better and learn from these things and understand situational football."

"We'll get back to work.  Too often people complain and whine and talk and all those things. We're going to work. I think we've got the young players to do it, so we'll be back."

- Rhule

That’s true and love to hear that outta Rhule, it’s also true they need to retain said players before they jump ship and develop elsewhere. It’s also true they need to upgrade talent too, you avoid slipping into mediocrity by recruiting better players.

I won’t forget the former OSU baseball player, who coached my rival school, tell us how at the end of the season Pat Casey told the returners how it’s their job to bust their a$$ in the offseason and improve because it’s his job to find someone to replace them. 

Different school, but I recommend reading up on Pat Murphy with Ian Kinsler and Dustin Pedroia - at the very least, it’s an interesting story.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure whether this is anything more than just interesting trivia.

If you have a good team, you're winning quite a few games by more than one score. 2023 Nebraska was not a good team.

I guess it could mean he gets the team over the hump from losing close games to winning more of them.  Which would be handy.

Iowa Recap and Season Wrap-Up. I had a good sit back and think moment. I was fully prepared to go 2-10 knowing Rhule and what he does...so maybe 5-7 is not the end of the world. Just the way it happened made it feel worse than it really was....what NEEDs to change? Just being healthy will look like a different team talent wise.