2024 Spring Game - April 27

Mavric

54 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Spring game or not, it’s very easy to see that our QB talent is lightyears ahead of where’s it’s been. Obviously this is not a real game but balls are being thrown that Nebraska fans have never seen before. Yes, I said never before.

Absolutely.   Nice to have some competency in that room for a change.  

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

It's not. Rex Guthrie is rehabbing and is white.

OK.  I missed the play.  I just saw that Rex is #12.  I thought maybe the announcers had just said the wrong name, which happened several times.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Whites have most of the 1s today. Reds have the 2s.

For the first time since the beginning of the Devaney era, the White team has won three straight Spring Games. If the 1s win today that's a four-game win streak.

Apparently both Hill and Bell with patellar tendon injuries.  From personal experience with 100% rupture that one is a mother to come back from.  

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/matt-rhule-demitrius-bell-blye-hill-suffer-significant-injuries

"Rhule did not expand much further on each player's injury, although he said he believed both were to each player's patellar tendon in the right knee, and he later mentioned that "tears were running down their face" in the locker room after getting injured."

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Spring game or not, it’s very easy to see that our QB talent is lightyears ahead of where’s it’s been.

Absolutely. I'd also say the QB coaching is light years ahead of where it's been. Danny struggled a bit but felt like he was a little jacked up, seemed better when the game sped up and he could get into a rhythm. If he's 3rd, I'm more than OK with that. The best thing for him and the program is if we have the luxury to put another year between him and Dylan. Haarberg looked far, far more capable as a passer.

I'd have to watch the game more to say anything too specific, but overall the offense did a way better job getting the ball out of the QBs hands on time and in rhythm. A little messy with the penalties but not surprising given the parameters of the game. First reaction is the offense made some major strides with the ability to get a lot better.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, brophog said:

Absolutely. I'd also say the QB coaching is light years ahead of where it's been. Danny struggled a bit but felt like he was a little jacked up, seemed better when the game sped up and he could get into a rhythm. If he's 3rd, I'm more than OK with that. The best thing for him and the program is if we have the luxury to put another year between him and Dylan. Haarberg looked far, far more capable as a passer.

I'd have to watch the game more to say anything too specific, but overall the offense did a way better job getting the ball out of the QBs hands on time and in rhythm. A little messy with the penalties but not surprising given the parameters of the game. First reaction is the offense made some major strides with the ability to get a lot better.

Yes, getting the ball out on time and in rhythm was maybe the most noticeable improvement. Those few tenths of a second is all it takes to turn a well defended ball (or a pick) into a positive completion. Accuracy and quality of the throws was also very evident. I was even impressed by a few of the incompletions.  At one point DR threw 2 consecutive incomplete passes to the endzone but the ball placement was excellent. Gave the receiver a chance but denied the defender. Halfass scrimmage or not, there were many excellently delivered balls.