Rhule Post Season Presser

Red Five

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

NIL is great for student athletes and obviously deserved… but this is going to kill college football in my opinion. QB play is already atrocious and as bad as I can remember as a whole. Handing out million dollar contracts for 1 year loans doesn’t sound like a recipe for success. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5
11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

NIL is great for student athletes and obviously deserved… but this is going to kill college football in my opinion. QB play is already atrocious and as bad as I can remember as a whole. Handing out million dollar contracts for 1 year loans doesn’t sound like a recipe for success. 

And as Rhule said, (in my words) it really isn't ethical to go after a player on another team and offer him $xx to come to your team after team #1 has developed the player for 2 years.  Rhule says for this reason and others he'd prefer to recruit out of HS and develop those players long term - which creates more team unity and cohesiveness.  

I hate what this is becoming.  Hard to build teams when players are coming and going. 

At this point, we can not un-ring the bell as we aren't going back to pre-portal or pre-NIL days.  

So there are 2 options I think are before us; 

Go Big  - get  it over with and make the top 32 teams a farm league for the NFL.  Make it what it is slowly becoming and remove all pretense that this is amateur college football.  Create and equable salary structure for all players, have contracts & stop the madness of players ending up at 3 or 4 different schools during their playing years.  

OR 

P5 teams need to cut lose form the NCAA and create clearly defined rules on how to navigate portal, NIL issues while protecting the integrity of the concept of student athletes.  

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And as Rhule said, (in my words) it really isn't ethical to go after a player on another team and offer him $xx to come to your team after team #1 has developed the player for 2 years.  Rhule says for this reason and others he'd prefer to recruit out of HS and develop those players long term - which creates more team unity and cohesiveness.  

I hate what this is becoming.  Hard to build teams when players are coming and going. 

At this point, we can not un-ring the bell as we aren't going back to pre-portal or pre-NIL days.  

So there are 2 options I think are before us; 

Go Big  - get  it over with and make the top 32 teams a farm league for the NFL.  Make it what it is slowly becoming and remove all pretense that this is amateur college football.  Create and equable salary structure for all players, have contracts & stop the madness of players ending up at 3 or 4 different schools during their playing years.  

OR 

P5 teams need to cut lose form the NCAA and create clearly defined rules on how to navigate portal, NIL issues while protecting the integrity of the concept of student athletes.  

I agree. Nebraska currently doesn’t have the deep pockets other universities have and our recent success doesn’t help. There will be 6-8 realistic programs that can continually compete for a national title while the remaining 60 P5 programs rotate for a playoff birth or individual seasonal success. It’s basically the Major League Baseball model where the major cities (LA, New York, Boston, Houston, SF) have continued success and the other 20 something teams have 1 or 2 year runs as they can’t afford to sign key free agents. 

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Nebraska currently doesn’t have the deep pockets other universities have and our recent success doesn’t help.

I can't say there's any direct correlation with this stat and NIL funding, but I saw data prior to this season starting that we are top 5 in football net revenue. That's net revenue. We ranked ahead of Alabama.

Again - maybe doesn't correlate to NIL funding. But just throwing that out there.

• Plus1 1