Trev to A&M

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Other than….he actually would need to be getting more money.  He was top 10 nationally. He will be top 10 there with a shorter contract. 

I've seen this strewn about the internet.  But I'm not sure I've seen any actual media report as to the contract terms.  Have I missed it?

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He just signed a new contract 4 months ago that made him the 2nd highest paid AD in the B1G and top 10 nationally.

Compensated is the wrong word. How about supported?

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've seen this strewn about the internet.  But I'm not sure I've seen any actual media report as to the contract terms.  Have I missed it?

All I've seen is what I've posted.  So, I would think that if both are top ten, they are both similar in amounts.  And then, if you factor in that it's a shorter contract.

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Except that property taxes are ~30% higher down there. I know this first hand, as I’m doing a LOT better with taxes up here than I was in Texas. 

People need to drop the myth that by not having state income tax Texas is some great Tax shelter. If you own any property you pay substantially for it. Plus let’s not overlook the 8.25% state sales tax (which is higher in certain cities). And add to the fact that property valuations are skyrocketing and while there’s a 10% cap, your valuation can change every year (opposed to every two years in NE), property owners are guaranteed a 10% increase in valuation EVERY YEAR…likely for the next decade or two until valuations catch up to actual values. 

Now car renewal taxes…those are the only taxes in NE I find to be ridiculously excessive. 

I think the property tax rate in College Station is very comparable to Lincoln with both being ~2%.  Trev will really benefit from no state income tax, it matters more for higher earners.  I know from first hand, I was better off in Houston vs. Omaha from a tax perspective.  I would immediately gain $15-20K a year just by moving.  Also, salaries in Nebraska are trash.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not sure about in public.  But it sure sounds like it wasn't really raised with much of anyone in the administration.

Agree. I am sure the coaches and players feel betrayed and abandoned.  It sounds like this is how Trev deals with conflict and challenges...he just quits.  The same happened at ESPN back in 2005.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not sure about in public.  But it sure sounds like it wasn't really raised with much of anyone in the administration.

Agree with everything Dirk has been saying the last 24 hours.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around here.  BOR, lack of President, Chancellor, Governor, Legislature, and Trev - all of them.

• Oh Yeah! 2
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Trev quit ESPN by not showing up Labor Day weekend in 2005 because he thought he was playing second fiddle to the Gameday crew.

John Walters, SI.com

ESPN fired Trev Alberts on Sunday after the college football analyst failed to show up for work at ESPN's studios in Bristol, Conn.

"He phoned and said that he wasn't going to show up," Mark Shapiro, ESPN's Vice President of Programming and Production, told SI.com on Tuesday night, "and when he didn't, he was in breach of his contract and we terminated him."

Alberts, a former All-American defensive end at Nebraska and member of the NFL's Indianapolis Colts, was embarking on his fourth season as part of ESPN's popular College Football Scoreboard and College Football Gameday team. But on Sunday morning, in the midst of college football's first big weekend of the season, Alberts phoned ESPN's coordinating producer of college football, Ed Placey, and voiced his discontent.

"He phoned us and told us that he was unhappy with his role on College GameDay," said Shapiro. "He felt that he was playing second fiddle."

As the day wore on, according to both Shapiro and Alberts, there were several conversations between Alberts and ESPN senior vice presidents Jed Drake and Norby Williamson. Finally, Alberts announced that he would not be reporting for work that afternoon (ESPN and ESPN2 aired three college football games between 3:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.). Once Alberts failed to appear for his studio show assignment with host Rece Davis and fellow analyst Mark May, he was fired.

"They first wanted me to resign," Alberts said on Tuesday night from his Atlanta home. "Then they fired me. I obviously have a serious problem with the word 'breach', but that's something my attorney will work out."

Didn’t he have drama with Colts?  Like they thought he could play and he wouldn’t?  It’s been so long ago I don’t recall.

https://www.courthousenews.com/trev-alberts-is-out-of-luck-with-cbs-gig/

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Agree with everything Dirk has been saying the last 24 hours.

I think there is plenty of blame to go around here.  BOR, lack of President, Chancellor, Governor, Legislature, and Trev - all of them.

Agreed, there were plenty of ways he could have gotten his message across over the past year with how frequently he was taking interviews and interacting with reporters. Instead, the action yesterday comes across as impulsive, though I'm sure the idea had been under consideration for months. The unfortunate part is that the abrupt change has turned fans from praising him the past several years into an angry group searching to find dirt on him or justify why he's a bad leader/person. We would be dumb not to take him back tomorrow (should he get cold feet), but I'm not sure there is a bridge to get him back. Just sucks all around.

2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Didn’t he have drama with Colts?  Like they thought he could play and he wouldn’t?  It’s been so long ago I don’t recall.

Failing to fulfill the promise that made him the No. 5 pick in the 1994 NFL draft, linebacker Trev Alberts retired yesterday after three injury plagued seasons with the Indianapolis Colts.

The Colts announced the retirement a day after the former Nebraska star failed to show up for scheduled reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder.

"It was something that was hanging out there that needed to be closed, and now it is," said Bill Tobin, vice president of football operations for the Colts.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/story/sports/1997/07/23/colts-linebacker-alberts-calls-it/50607181007/

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agreed, there were plenty of ways he could have gotten his message across over the past year with how frequently he was taking interviews and interacting with reporters. Instead, the action yesterday comes across as impulsive, though I'm sure the idea had been under consideration for months. The unfortunate part is that the abrupt change has turned fans from praising him the past several years into an angry group searching to find dirt on him or justify why he's a bad leader/person. We would be dumb not to take him back tomorrow (should he get cold feet), but I'm not sure there is a bridge to get him back. Just sucks all around.

We need him to be candid and very open about why he left.  So appropriate measures can be taken and we can move on.

• Oh Yeah! 1