Troy Dannen to be New Athletic Director

More like the board was in no hurry, Trev wanted Gold and told them to pull the trigger. They continued to take their time like they wanted, Trev bails, they hire the guy 6 days later just to spite Trev and make him look even more stupid. Love it. Truly, there is no place like Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

I'm curious to what the Washington fan reaction is, given reason to be angrier and more confused then we were by our ADs mercenary tenure. Surely the Dannen family knew how far Washington was from Iowa when he took the job. 

Bottom line, though is an immediate and respected hire that supports UNL as a worthy destination, regardless of the f#&%-ups trying to run the University. 

As for the NCAA Selection Committee Conspiracy: are they trying to punish Nebraska, or Trev Alberts? Just having a little fun?  Or simply a coincidence given their records and bracket?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Now, that might be possible.  They did get a lot of heat for the President search and it came out that there were two political factions fighting.  

From my perspective as a total outsider message board idiot your point makes sense to me. The two groups are fighting and joke, "What's Alberts gonna do, leave?" and then everyone laughs. Then, Alberts leaves and they realize that this is actually a serious issue and they act like...you know...adults and get it sorted out.

• Plus1 1

This is a confusing deal for me ....

Moos is great. Way better than the red-haired assassin and he brought us great coaches like Scott and Fred.

Then Frost sucks. 

And Moos is a drunk

Trev HIRED. He is the greatest and he's a true Husker
Trev brought us a great coach in Matt Rhule and is going to make a move to get rid of Fred soon
Trev bolts for A&M so he's a traitor and terrible.

Fred takes NU to the NCAA so he gets an extension without the need to see if this is one year and then back to the bad deal

We hire UW's AD. He's a true midwestern guy. But didn't we think Moos had a midwestern mindset
UW guy understands the Big 10 but led programs that played in the Mo Valley and the American

UW guy left his post after only months of employment, no big deal

UW guy has strong ties to Ruhle and that's a good thing.

Soooo. 

If Fred struggles in the next couple years, he's gone. And the extension was another bad extension for NU in a history of bad extensions and was given while we didn't even have a full time AD in place.

If Matt struggles, then it was bad that he had a hand in the AD deal because he was trying to insulate himself with HIS guy

If the AD gets bounced or leaves it was a bad decision to make with leadership in flux.

Matt will then be a pro guy who didn't get Nebraska

And the AD will have been a bad hire too somehow

Follow the bouncing ball. Everyone is loyal until they are not loyal.

And every Husker fan needs to be loyal and can't be frustrated by the constant musical chairs and varying opinions on this stuff.

• Plus1 4

50 minutes ago, teachercd said:

How do these guys even get into this line of work?

Like...do you start off as some entry level nerd inside the athletic department and just go up from there?

Most likely and I admit, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to AD career pathing. I think some take the athletic department route and climb up, some maybe come from being SIDs and others come from external organizations that have strong fundraising components.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

This is a confusing deal for me ....

Moos is great. Way better than the red-haired assassin and he brought us great coaches like Scott and Fred.

Then Frost sucks. 

And Moos is a drunk

Trev HIRED. He is the greatest and he's a true Husker
Trev brought us a great coach in Matt Rhule and is going to make a move to get rid of Fred soon
Trev bolts for A&M so he's a traitor and terrible.

Fred takes NU to the NCAA so he gets an extension without the need to see if this is one year and then back to the bad deal

We hire UW's AD. He's a true midwestern guy. But didn't we think Moos had a midwestern mindset
UW guy understands the Big 10 but led programs that played in the Mo Valley and the American

UW guy left his post after only months of employment, no big deal

UW guy has strong ties to Ruhle and that's a good thing.

Soooo. 

If Fred struggles in the next couple years, he's gone. And the extension was another bad extension for NU in a history of bad extensions and was given while we didn't even have a full time AD in place.

If Matt struggles, then it was bad that he had a hand in the AD deal because he was trying to insulate himself with HIS guy

If the AD gets bounced or leaves it was a bad decision to make with leadership in flux.

Matt will then be a pro guy who didn't get Nebraska

And the AD will have been a bad hire too somehow

Follow the bouncing ball. Everyone is loyal until they are not loyal.

And every Husker fan needs to be loyal and can't be frustrated by the constant musical chairs and varying opinions on this stuff.

The Venn diagram of overlap on these statements is going to involve a LOT of circles. You're conflating the opinions of a lot of different people with your first points. If you can find a unicorn who holds every one of those opinions, maybe they'll answer for all of that.

The second group of points is... regular sporting world stuff. Coaches are great until they're not. Most coaches don't get to retire from one job. Almost every coach gets fired. Bill Belichick got fired after winning six Super Bowls. That doesn't negate the success he had. 

I'm not sure what "bouncing ball" you're pointing out here.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• TBH 1
53 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm curious to what the Washington fan reaction is, given reason to be angrier and more confused then we were by our ADs mercenary tenure. Surely the Dannen family knew how far Washington was from Iowa when he took the job. 

Bottom line, though is an immediate and respected hire that supports UNL as a worthy destination, regardless of the f#&%-ups trying to run the University. 

As for the NCAA Selection Committee Conspiracy: are they trying to punish Nebraska, or Trev Alberts? Just having a little fun?  Or simply a coincidence given their records and bracket?

Just my guess, they probably don't really care all that much.  They are not as rabid as Husker fans.  I bet most fans did not even know who he was.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The Venn diagram of overlap on these statements is going to involve a LOT of circles. You're conflating the opinions of a lot of different people with your first points. If you can find a unicorn who holds every one of those opinions, maybe they'll answer for all of that.

The second group of points is... regular sporting world stuff. Coaches are great until they're not. Most coaches don't get to retire from one job. Almost every coach gets fired. Bill Belichick got fired after winning six Super Bowls. That doesn't negate the success he had. 

I'm not sure what "bouncing ball" you're pointing out here.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All I am saying is that Nebraska fans hear from a lot of people that say.. look what is being done now. This is the fix we need and what came before was not good enough or not right or ultimately flawed. And then there is so much change that no one remains that made the decisions that resulted in bad things and then we are told, but NOW we have it figured out. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Kind of hard to care about this round of fixes when history says that they probably won't be the fixes we needed anyways.

• TBH 1