Troy Dannen to be New Athletic Director

4 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

All I am saying is that Nebraska fans hear from a lot of people that say.. look what is being done now. This is the fix we need and what came before was not good enough or not right or ultimately flawed. And then there is so much change that no one remains that made the decisions that resulted in bad things and then we are told, but NOW we have it figured out. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Kind of hard to care about this round of fixes when history says that they probably won't be the fixes we needed anyways.

I get that it can be frustrating watching the Huskers spin their wheels. I think the "hope springs eternal" of excitement over new hires is pretty normal for fans invested in their teams, and it's pretty universal among fans of every team - unless, like Riley or Pederson or Callahan, people truly know immediately that these were bad hires. 

It's part of the joy and pain of being a sports fan. Let's hope we're not the Cubs of college football, waiting more than a century between championships. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm curious to what the Washington fan reaction is, given reason to be angrier and more confused then we were by our ADs mercenary tenure. Surely the Dannen family knew how far Washington was from Iowa when he took the job. 

If you go to www.hardcorehusky.com you can view what that fanbase is saying. Mostly, he didn't fit in because he's not liberal enough and is not a DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) guy.  That said, they obviously aren't happy about his departure nor would we if in their shoes. They're saying many of the same things we said like.. wth good is contract these days.. etc

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I get that it can be frustrating watching the Huskers spin their wheels. I think the "hope springs eternal" of excitement over new hires is pretty normal for fans invested in their teams, and it's pretty universal among fans of every team - unless, like Riley or Pederson or Callahan, people truly know immediately that these were bad hires. 

It's part of the joy and pain of being a sports fan. Let's hope we're not the Cubs of college football, waiting more than a century between championships. 

I hope the same as well. I like Coach Ruhle and am really hoping he can find success. And I am pulling for Fred too.

I guess at the end of the day, if Ruhle and Fred do some good things and keep the heat down, most average Husker fans won't think too much about the AD or the president anyways.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

This is just pure speculation on my part but I wonder if Gold had been in play this whole time but was getting blocked for political reasons. Alberts leaves, the BoR realizes they need to get their poop in a group, pushes forward the guy everyone wanted in the first place.

From things I've heard the BoR where stuck between Gold and Tom Briese. Briese is who Pillen wanted, who fit his conservative views more, Gold is the better candidate, but there is now some fear about reduced revenue from the state.

• Thanks 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Madcows said:

From things I've heard the BoR where stuck between Gold and Tom Briese. Briese is who Pillen wanted, who fit his conservative views more, Gold is the better candidate, but there is now some fear about reduced revenue from the state.

Reduced revenue from the state because Pillen didn't get his way?  If that's what is being said.....Nebraskans really need to think about who they vote for in that office.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 4

I don't remember people thinking the Pedersen hire was a mistake at the time. Pretty much the opposite. Pedersen was the Husker native who made good at Pittsburgh and earned a national profile, and was now returning home to right the ship. He had everyone's endorsement, including Tom Osborne's. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't remember people thinking the Pedersen hire was a mistake at the time. Pretty much the opposite. Pedersen was the Husker native who made good at Pittsburgh and earned a national profile, and was now returning home to right the ship. He had everyone's endorsement, including Tom Osborne's. 

You are correct. That was a bit of retconning from my memory. 

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Troy has a bit of the dock worker/mob enforcer look to him. I like it.

I was thinking Sean Callahan's brother, but he does look like he could work in sanitation.