50 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This and the Komodo Dragon are my favorites. Dark, rich flavor, but without all the acid you get from Central American & African beans.

Guess I’ll have to try the Komodo Dragon. I did a quick search and didn’t see it available in the K pods but we still have a coffee grinder and that little strainer pod (which has never actually been used yet :lol:). Sam’s Club has the Sumatra in 72 packs and you can usually get it on sale for about $32.

When I retire I’ll get serious about my coffee and get a french press and do it right. The Keurig is just way too convenient and consistent.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I just found this company about a year ago. 

https://www.freshroastedcoffee.com/collections/coffee/roasted-coffee+single-origin+caffeinated+medium?page=1

They have a really cool informative website where you can filter your search.  I've been on a world tour of coffees trying to find my favorite. I stick with single origin coffee, whole bean. You have to at least grind your own.  The Kenyan Peaberry is up there.  The Ethiopian Sidamo Guji and the medium Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Kochere are great too.  But I've yet to try one of their coffees I don't like.  

I like a lighter roast level (used to think bold was the way) as the subtle flavors don't get burned out and a more bold roast body.  I really like the African coffees because of there fruit notes. Something I was ignorant about until I found this site.  For more earthy notes look to the Indonesian beans.  Central American are great too with more chocolate notes in general and usually lower acidity levels.  

The company itself has been great with customer service.  I make my coffee with a cheap Mr. Coffee espresso machine.  It does the trick (for me) as well as machines costing a lot more  and I just look at it as disposable. They last four or five years so I  get my money's worth.  I kind of feel like I lost a lot of coffee years using Starbucks or the like.  It's always a crapshoot on how fresh their beans will be.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2024 at 9:08 AM, knapplc said:

Coffee will have better flavor the longer the beans are in contact with the water. In a traditional drip coffee maker, that's a very short time. It's longer with those older perk coffee makers, where the water percolated up through the central stem into the basket with the beans, and circulated over and over. With a press, the beans and water interact for several minutes before you push the plunger down, which screens out the beans from the water (now coffee).

Knapp, you are like my son - he would call himself a coffee snob (no offense meant towards you) by that  - by that he is an expert on all things coffee. He got spoiled on coffee in HS by working in a coffee house, he's had every type of coffee maker there is besides roasting beans himself.  He does like the French Press method also - and yes black - let the beans alone do the talking.  We've encouraged him as a side hobby to open a coffee shop - my wife and I would volunteer to work it. 

Me: My stomach is too weak to take it strong -  Someone said it has to do with blood type but who knows.  So I like the Kona Coffee - very mild and as a Mocha even better.  I can't drink a lot  - messes with my ADHD brain -:( - my wife can tell when I've had too much - kind of go off the rails :ahhhhhhhh    I'm better with herbal tea.  Even blank tea can drive me bonkers wt its caffeine. Extra Strength Excedrin - loaded with caffeine will take care of any pain but then later... :o   Caffeine also gives me sleep issues: I also will fall asleep at night but wake up at 2pm trying to solve all of the world problems - some of my posts come from those late night thinking sessions. :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested that likes to buy coffee beans:  Joe’s in NYC sells theirs online and they are great.  They have many different flavors and low acidity options to choose from.  

Brooklyn Roasting company is pretty good also to order from. 

Roasterie in KC has two different blends that are very good in whole bean.   Betty’s recipe and during Christmas they sell the Nutcracker blend.  Sam’s club has each from time to time for $20 a bag.  It’s a steal.  

I have a small electric coffee bean grinder and is super easy to use.  Makes things much fresher than pre-ground coffee.  

• Plus1 1