First Seven Games

The only one that sort of seems like an issue is CU.

The Skers will probably be pretty safe/conservative on offense and even though CU ended up sucking hard, they will still pass the ball 60+ times.  It could just be one of those games where the Huskers need the offense clicking and not just the defense.  

Plus, losing to CU again would just SUUUUUUCK

• Haha 1
  • TBH 4

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If we lose, it'll be the first time we've ever lost four straight to them.

Ugggg!

It just seems like a bad match up because they will just keep throwing and throwing and eventually catch a few deep ones.  Where I just don't see NU playing like that this year.  NU will need to get up two scores.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ugggg!

It just seems like a bad match up because they will just keep throwing and throwing and eventually catch a few deep ones.  Where I just don't see NU playing like that this year.  NU will need to get up two scores.

It's going to be interesting for sure. Shurmur will have them running the ball a little more (they went from 42% run to 46% after he took over), but they're still going to sling it. Shedeur was also whining about Lewis's offense having too many in-play adjustments, so he might be able to get the ball out quicker with Shurmur. But to my mind at least, the more static plays are easier to defend.

And they did not address the OL in a noticeable better way than last year. Jordan Seaton is probably going to be a stud, but LT as a true freshman is incredibly difficult. Proctor at Alabama last year at least had great size, and he got bullied for the first half of the year. He's definitely athletic enough that none of our edge guys are going to consistently beat him with speed, but I don't think he will be physically prepared to withstand bull rushes from 22-23 year old men. The rest are transfers from G5, Juco, or meh starters from Indiana and Houston. Probably an all new line with no continuity. I don't think we'll get 8 sacks again, but I think we're better equipped to turn some of the havoc into turnovers this year.

The CU game comes down to two things.  A) How much has our team jelled and learned how to play better together since last year's game.  and...B) How bad is the CU locker room and how they HAVEN'T jelled because of all the preferential treatments Deon's sons get...along with the constant turnover and new transfers coming in.  

It's also at home.

While I agree that I struggle with confidence in this game till we prove we can actually win it, I have more confidence this year than in a long time. CU was horrible last year and we lost the game because it was a perfect storm for us to fail.

If we can get through the first couple games with wins and the team is playing pretty good, I feel very good about all 7 games.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
20 minutes ago, Fru said:

Just please get bowl eligible in this time frame. 

We absolutely should be, but I honestly expect like we'll be sitting at 5-2 and the season will be a real test of the teams ability to push through the "here we go again" collapse. Winning 1 (or more) out of UCLA, @USC, Wisconsin, and @Iowa is totally possible, but the added pressure of bowl eligibility is significant. Getting ahead of ourselves obviously, but getting to 6-1 or 7-0 seems too easy for us.

• Plus1 1

I'll say what I said last year.  With the contrast in coaching styles, some wanted Prime as HC here (I'll own up to that) and a new mercenary vs old school build, this is a must win game for me.  Means nothing in regards to winning the B1G, but they have found ways to beat us the last 3 years. We can't as @knapplc said get us 4 in a row.  I'm pessimistically optimistic we will be better next year.  But gotta get this one.

The Colorado game is going to come down to how uncomfortable we can make Shedeur. If he has time in the pocket we're going to have a long day.

We've lacked really good edge pressure since... what? Randy Gregory? I saw some hype about our D Line today. But we've heard that before. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

The Colorado game is going to come down to how uncomfortable we can make Shedeur. If he has time in the pocket we're going to have a long day.

We've lacked really good edge pressure since... what? Randy Gregory? I saw some hype about our D Line today. But we've heard that before. 

I think our DL hype is vs the run.  Where they will be really good.

Clearly, that won't matter much vs CU, which is where the big worry comes into play.  

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

He's not that good.  He lost 8 games last year.  We would have beaten them with a mediocre quarterback.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Big Red Viking said:

He's not that good.  He lost 8 games last year.  We would have beaten them with a mediocre quarterback.

He is pretty good.

They lost so many games because their defense was basically the worst defense in D1.

• Plus1 2