QB Blaine Gabbert

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=2384691

Published Wednesday | May 16, 2007

NU Football: Huskers get star Missouri QB Gabbert

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Highly touted quarterback Blaine Gabbert has picked Nebraska over Alabama and Missouri, Scout.com reported Tuesday night.

Gabbert is a 6-foot-4, 225-pounder from Parkway West High in Ballwin, Mo., a St. Louis suburb. As a junior last season, Gabbert threw for 1,523 yards and 20 touchdowns on a team that included a 1,200-yard rusher.

Scout.com ranks Gabbert as a four-star prospect and No. 54 overall on its Top 100 for 2008. Nebraska already has commitments from three others on that list - offensive linemen Trevor Robinson of Elkhorn (No. 69 on the Scout.com list), Bryce Givens of Denver (No. 88) and Baker Steinkuhler of Lincoln Southwest (No. 94).

Gabbert also had scholarship offers from Oregon, Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State and Minnesota. At the Nebraska spring game last month, he said: "It's crazy. The fan support and atmosphere is amazing."

NU further stocked its quarterback ranks for the future. The Huskers' current roster includes sophomore-to-be Zac Lee and freshman Patrick Witt, both candidates to redshirt next season.

In addition to Gabbert, Robinson, Givens and Steinkuhler, NU also has commitments from tailback Collins Okafor of Omaha Westside, offensive lineman Dan Hoch of Harlan, Iowa, and defensive back David Whitmore of Port Arthur, Texas.

Ok I think a couple of you misunderstood what I was getting at. Make no mistake, I am jacked about this committment. I think he is more than likely the second or third best qb in the nation (Pryor is a freak). I was just asking more or less what everyone else thought would happen. I love Cally, and love the committment of Gabbert, and there is no way in hell I would want the midget back to coach us. This is shaping up to be one of the best classes in the nation. Brown would be one hell of a get, and I think fisher is close to committing. As of right now we have two possible five stars and four possible four stars (Okafor was put on the AA watch list so if he does well that would bump him up). Futures looking mighty bright!

I'm with you Washusker. While I'm as happy as anyone else to get this commitment, anything can happen within the next nine months. And we will hear rumors, whether false or true, that this coach is pushing really hard to get him away or Blaine may be visiting this school. So let's keep our fingers cross that this commitment is a very firm one. I will try to keep a level head and not get too excited until he signs the dotted line. But great job by the coaches.

Blaine is the highest profile player to commit to the Huskers in the New Era. He is the top rated Quarterback on everyones list and could be, could be, the Number #1 player overall depending how the year goes. I would like to go see a game of his this upcoming year, maybe In Kansas City? Any info on his schools schedule? Recruiting isn't everything---but it sure helps and to have this many quality commits this early can only help keep the ball rolling. Go Huskers.

Whoa is me. Even if he commits in 9 months he may leave after his first year like you know who. :sarcasm

Just kidding. No one commit is going to make or break the Huskers. What I see is consistant good recruiting by the staff, a developing pipeline to the NFL and very good HS kids taking notice of what Nebraska is doing. I think those are some key elements of building a top team in the post-TO era. I can't predict whether or not Gabbert will lead us to a NC, hope so, but I think the staff's good work is going to have us playing head to head with the big boys soon enough.

I think it helped that he's not so far away from us, like Califonia, Florida or the Houston area. I don't know if this is how the coaches do their recruiting, but it makes sense to start within your own state, the neighboring states and expand out from there. It is nice that he is from more of the middle part of the country. I realize we got Lucky from USC and Beck from the Florida schools, but closer location often plays a huge part in getting the higher profile players -- especially states that don't have high profile schools like in Missouri.

I am still worried that the outcome wont be ideal. If Gabbert is as good as I think he is then he will seriously push for the starting job as a redshirt freshman or sophmore. If he gets it that means that Lee and Witt will have to sit behind someone younger than them. I dont think they will stick around to watch that. If Witt does end up being the quarterback coaches are saying he is going to be and redshirts this year, and wins the starting job, that means that Gabbert will have to sit for four years, which I dont think he will end up staying. This is freakin awesome news and I am ecstatic about him committing, just some thoughts I have. I think this guy is going to be great.

don't forget about Ganz will be back for next year. I think we are set for the next four year at quarterback.

This will hopefully lead to more reciever and tight end commits wanting to play with the top qb in the nation

By the way we should not mention the name of a similar situation when the traitor decommited