QB Blaine Gabbert

By the way we should not mention the name of a similar situation when the traitor decommited

I'm actually a lot happier with the outcome of that transaction. While I think he could have done well in this offense (not doing so good in the little apple though - sh***y coaches), we got Keller (another thanks goes out to Beck), Zac Lee and possibly Gabbert to take his place and I think we are a lot better off. It'll be fun watching one of the QB's we now have torch KSU for the next 3 years and for the next 30 years afterwards.

Welcome to Husker Nation Blaine!

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but after last years recruiting de-commits...I won't be that high on him until he signs on the dotted line. LOTS of time between now and next year's recruiting season. Let's just hope that BC and CO don't stop looking for a QB due to this committ. Although....We have Lee and Witt so maybe it isn't such a bad thing.

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but after last years recruiting de-commits...I won't be that high on him until he signs on the dotted line. LOTS of time between now and next year's recruiting season. Let's just hope that BC and CO don't stop looking for a QB due to this committ. Although....We have Lee and Witt so maybe it isn't such a bad thing.

Far be it from me to be Debbie Downer, but even if he commits he could leave after 1 year like that other guy who I won't mention, but his intials were HB. There's no gaurantee he will ever even see the field. He could get injured or get in a bar room brawl and get kicked off tje team. Heck he could get on the field and never live up to potential. Bad things happen every day. :hmmph:hmmph:hmmph

Far be it from me to be Debbie Downer, but even if he commits he could leave after 1 year like that other guy who I won't mention, but his intials were HB. There's no gaurantee he will ever even see the field. He could get injured or get in a bar room brawl and get kicked off tje team. Heck he could get on the field and never live up to potential. Bad things happen every day. :hmmph:hmmph:hmmph

damn, even I couldn't paint a picture that bleak! i think this guy is the real deal, stays committed and starts as a sophomore.

Let's not get too excited about the 5 stars. Remember Harrison Beck and Marlon Lucky.

But the impressive thing about this one is...we get one over Nick Saban.

Whats wrong with Marlon Lucky? Hes a solid player that improves every year and split time last year with an NFL back.

I see Gabbert starting as a fifth year senior.Witt/Lee will have the job is the mean time. I wacthed Gabberts videos and I wasn't impressed at all. Witts looked one hell of alot better playing on a $hitty football team in Texas.I guess all of you forgot what the Aurburn coaches said about Witt."That kids going to be a freshman? Wow"I from Holdrege Ne so don't accuss me of being from Witts hometown or anything.

damn, even I couldn't paint a picture that bleak! i think this guy is the real deal, stays committed and starts as a sophomore.

Thanks. I'll take that as a complement. ;)

Gabbert chooses Nebraska over Mizzou

By Nate Latsch

SPECIAL TO THE POST-DISPATCH

05/17/2007

Huskers Gabbert

Parkway West's quarterback Blaine Gabbert (11) has make an oral committment to play for the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

(Sarah Conard/Getty Images)

gabbert315nebraska051707fla.jpg

Parkway West junior quarterback Blaine Gabbert wants to be a Cornhusker.

Gabbert, rated by ESPN.com as one of the top quarterback prospects nationally in the junior class, committed to Nebraska Tuesday night, choosing the Huskers over Missouri, Alabama and others.

"I thought it was the best fit for me,'' Gabbert said. "It was a really hard decision ... I thought Nebraska was best for my future."

Parkway West coach Mike Roth said, "I think it came down to a two-horse race with Nebraska and Missouri. Either way, he couldn't go wrong."

Advertisement

Verbal commitments are non-binding. Gabbert can't sign a letter of intent until February.

"He just told me it felt right for him," Roth said. "It felt right, and he wanted to make the call. Hopefully, things will get back to normal for him because it really has been out of control."

Gabbert, 6-foot-5 and 228 pounds, is a rare prospect with prototypical NFL quarterback size, a strong arm and good speed. The quarterback had scholarship offers from nearly 20 Division I schools.

Gabbert completed 51.5 percent of his passes for 1,523 yards and 20 touchdowns as a junior, and also ran for 458 yards and eight more touchdowns.

Published Thursday | May 17, 2007

NU Football: Prized QB recruit says his pledge will stick

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - Rest easy, Husker Nation, in knowing that Bill Callahan's latest quarterback catch appears unlikely to head down a road similar to a certain former football recruit from the same state.

Blaine Gabbert of Ballwin, Mo., offered his oral commitment to the Huskers Tuesday night, delivering to NU a prospect under consideration as the nation's No. 1 prep QB next fall.

"He will be going to Nebraska," said Mike Roth, Gabbert's coach at Parkway West High School in suburban St. Louis. "There are no ifs, ands or buts about it."

Forgive the Huskers for keeping the champagne on ice until February, when Gabbert and others in the class of 2008 can sign official papers.

Some sting remains from two years ago, when NU snagged quarterback Josh Freeman out of suburban Kansas City. He stayed committed for six months as other prospects fell off the board. Freeman then defected to Kansas State, where he started and threw for 1,780 yards as a true freshman last fall.

That won't happen with the 6-foot-5, 229-pound Gabbert, he and his coach said.

"I want to reach the top level at the University of Nebraska," Gabbert told rivals.com, "personally, as well as our team.

"I strongly believe that we can go all the way. I feel Nebraska is building that right now. And with this recruiting class, we can and will do that."

First-year offensive coordinator Shawn Watson deserves the bulk of credit here. Watson developed a strong relationship in a hurry with Gabbert this year. The coach's brother, in fact, played football with Gabbert's uncle on a 1989 team at Southern Illinois that included Callahan as offensive coordinator.

That connection helped the Huskers outduel a swarm of schools including Missouri and Alabama - with offensive coordinator Major Applewhite as the lead recruiter under new coach Nick Saban.

"I don't know if upset is the right word, because he's definitely a guy who's been high on Nebraska for a while," rivals.com recruiting editor Jeremy Crabtree said. "But it's probably more disappointing if you're Missouri, because they've been working on him for two years.

"This is a big, big deal for Nebraska. He's as big a recruit as we've seen since Bill Callahan's been there."

So barely three months removed from signing a defense-heavy recruiting class of 2007, Nebraska has seven players committed for 2008.

Gabbert, a potential five-star talent with a strong arm and 4.65-second speed over 40 yards, headlines the class. But committed offensive linemen Baker Steinkuhler of Lincoln Southwest, Trevor Robinson of Elkhorn, Dan Hoch of Harlan, Iowa, and Bryce Givens of Denver appeared to play a major role in Gabbert's decision.

Steinkuhler is also a likely five-star recruit touted as one of the nation's best at his position. Rivals.com places Robinson and Hoch among the nation's top 100 players overall, and Givens figures to rank as the No. 1 lineman in Colorado.

As for Gabbert, he ranks among the top four quarterbacks nationally according to rivals.com and is the No. 54 player according to scout.com. ESPN.com ranks Gabbert as the No. 1 quarterback.

He starred at the U.S. Army combine in San Antonio last winter after throwing for 1,523 yards and 20 touchdowns as a junior. Gabbert also ran for 458 yards and led Parkway West to an 8-2 record and a berth in the playoff quarterfinals of Missouri's second-largest class.

"Everybody is in love with his size," Roth said. "But that's not Blaine's best attribute. His greatest attribute is probably his arm strength. He just makes great decisions with the ball. He puts it where it needs to go.

"For Blaine, really, it's all about heart. Nobody puts in more time in the off-season. I open up the gym in the summer, and he's in there working on footwork. For the last couple years, he's geared himself toward being a great college quarterback. I'm just glad I have him for one more year of high school."

The addition of Gabbert likely ensures the Huskers will not recruit another high school quarterback this year.

His commitment also marks the fourth year out of four full recruiting seasons for Callahan that the Nebraska coach has landed an early pledge from a heralded QB.

First there was Harrison Beck, the Florida prep star who made it one year at NU before transferring to North Carolina State. Freeman was next, followed last year by Patrick Witt, who showed well this spring after enrolling at Nebraska a semester early.

Witt, a true freshman, and junior-college transfer Zac Lee, a sophomore, look like redshirt candidates next season before Gabbert joins a healthy stable of young quarterbacks in 2008.

"Blaine's heart was in the right place at Nebraska," Roth said. "Nebraska is not a hard sell, to be honest with you. But they just seemed like great, genuine people. I think Blaine was attracted to that. Just to put all of the recruiting behind him and focus on having fun, it's a big deal for him."

• NOTES: Disturbing the peace charges against Husker quarterback Sam Keller were recently dropped. Keller allegedly cursed at a woman and threw a plastic cup at her car after a March dispute over a campus parking spot. . . . NU safety recruit Prince Amukamara was the Arizona Class 4-A state track champ in both the 100-meter dash (10.78 seconds) and 200 (21.92) last weekend. . . . Defensive back recruit David Whitmore is No. 43 in the new rivals.com Texas Top 100. . . . Tickets for the Big 12 championship game - Dec. 1 in San Antonio - go on sale today at 10 a.m. Tickets are available at www.ticketmaster.com or the Alamodome and run $99, $79, $69, $59 and $39.

he was on 1620 today, sounded like he was excited to commit. Really thought highly of keller. Liked the attention he got at spring game. Says he has called Andrew Jones, a Mizzou TE recurit and another TE from Kansas City trying to get them to come with him. He also said he will be planing on calling other recuirts.