SIGNED: DE Jason Ankrah

Is he having academic problems? I just saw on rivals that he was a possibility for prep school/juco??

I believe he had academic issues and needs to some work to make up for them. He supposedly (posted on a Michigan State board) took 10th grade English and Algebra I over the summer. The Yahoo/Rivals article has him listed as a potential to go Prep school or JUCO. (They also note Tyrik Rollison has almost no chance of qualifying.)

Based on the comments he's made about wishing he'd taken academics more seriously so he didn't have to worry, I imagine he has the ability to do better but was just being lazy. I think he now has applied himself and is getting ready to graduate, but we will see come June (or August). If not he could be a sign and place which might be the case with a number of guys in this class.

Is he having academic problems? I just saw on rivals that he was a possibility for prep school/juco??

I believe he had academic issues and needs to some work to make up for them. He supposedly (posted on a Michigan State board) took 10th grade English and Algebra I over the summer. The Yahoo/Rivals article has him listed as a potential to go Prep school or JUCO. (They also note Tyrik Rollison has almost no chance of qualifying.)

Based on the comments he's made about wishing he'd taken academics more seriously so he didn't have to worry, I imagine he has the ability to do better but was just being lazy. I think he now has applied himself and is getting ready to graduate, but we will see come June (or August). If not he could be a sign and place which might be the case with a number of guys in this class.

Ohio Pete is now a MOD?!?!?!? Wow, that is great!

Ohio Pete is now a MOD?!?!?!? Wow, that is great!

Just temporarily for the action tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be pinning 21 threads.

So on top of the need for your endeavor tomorrow, did you have to learn a secret handshake, do chores for AR, swear a secret oath to get this lofty status?

Does anybody know if there are any grade concerns with Jason. I would explode if we lost this guy to academics.

He needs to at least pass Geometry this year to graduate. I'm almost certain of this. It's entirely possible, especially if he is in a block scheduling school and has a chance to take an Extended Geometry course that involves 2 periods. Most kids are capable of passing Geometry/Algebra they just don't want to do math because of their preconceptions. Half of the Algebra material is just working on putting things kids already understand in a symbolic context. Most kids know how many hours they gotta work at minimum wage to buy their new iPod, but you write the question on a piece of paper and they are confused.

So, am I correct in saying that right now Ankrah is NOT eligible? However, if he gets the right classes and hours he needs over summer he will become eligible and can enroll this fall? Basically, he can still make it in the fall, it's not for sure he won't make it for fall? Right?

So, am I correct in saying that right now Ankrah is NOT eligible? However, if he gets the right classes and hours he needs over summer he will become eligible and can enroll this fall? Basically, he can still make it in the fall, it's not for sure he won't make it for fall? Right?

Well by that definition only the players currently on campus are eligible. Everyone else still has classes to take to graduate. ;)

Well by that definition only the players currently on campus are eligible. Everyone else still has classes to take to graduate. ;)

No sh!t. However, some guys who have signed could fail every class this semester and still qualify. His possibiliy of qualifying is definitely up in the air and I was just trying to figure out if there is any way he could still make it in the fall. Most guys will be qualified after their senior year is over, but it sounds like he will need summer school classes. Just trying to clear up the rumors as best as possible.

• 3 months later...

whats the latest on the grades situation?

:yeah What about everyone else though? Is there anyone who might be in trouble

from the sounds of it, everyone who signed with nebraska this year should make it academically. I don't know when the last time it was that we had this happen, but I like it.... I will give credit to the coaches for properly evaluating the players and making sure they weren't a huge risk... :clap

• 6 months later...

Carl spoke at the Big Red Breakfast this morning, and had this to say about Jason:

-- And of defensive end Jason Ankrah “has become the beast we thought he’d be,” Pelini said. Although he’s redshirting, Ankrah practices with the No. 1 defense.

Ankrah WILL be ready to take significant reps next year, which bodes well for us as we lose Turner. Seeing him listed as a DE is nice, as that shows that he has not made a move inside to DT, as some thought he would. I think he could be an amazing end for us and really make some plays off the edge.