SIGNED: DE Jason Ankrah

I don't understand how everyone is saying that we are sooo far behind texas and ou. Is everyone forgetting that we should have actually probably beaten texas the last two years. Now maybe people are going to say they were young or down in those years. Well its not like we werent down either. We did go to the big 12 championship in 06' but even that was with a much slower defense than Pelini will have on the field in a year or two. The second year was with an offense that couldnt run worth anything. The OU game this year could have and did happen to a ton of teams. I would be willing to bet that nobody is saying that TT or Okie St. are way below them talent wise. I really like the class that Peini is putting together and its a good sign that the one thing people were worried about when he got hired he is proving that wont be a problem. I think another thing that really nobody on here has mentioned is that he has one juco which will only help depth for years to come.

At least 2 JUCO's that I can think of, Kinnie and Gomes, but I get your point.

I think they should still go after McBurse cuz I don't think Robinson is all that great, on the rivals films anyway.

Watch out, I got bashed/MOD warned for posting something very similar to this on another thread.

McBurse is a January kid. He probably already has his Purdue papers ready to roll.

Purdue?! :wtf , he wants to be an engineer? Hmmm, for FB I would think Big Red would be a slam dunk over Purdue, plus the academics at NU aren't that bad.

Buuut, maybe there's something special he wants at Purdue. :dunno

I think immediate playing time was a big factor for him, Purdue can definately offer that.

Makes sense, and too bad for him...

Anyway, :backtotopic

Here is ESPN's take on Ankrah's commit:

Touted Jason Ankrah to help Husker defense

Nebraska has snared a pledge from defensive end Jason Ankrah over offers from programs such as Penn State, Michigan, N.C. State, Maryland, Clemson and Virginia Tech.

Nebraska assistant coach John Papuchis is a Quince Orchard alum, which helped the Huskers. "He comes from my school. We have a good relationship," Ankrah told the Omaha World-Herald.

He also enjoyed his visit to Lincoln, Neb., "It was just what I saw when I went there. It felt like home, like another home."

ESPN's Craig Haubert added, "As Nebraska prepares for their big bowl showdown with Clemson they added a good piece to their 2009 class recruiting puzzle. The Corn Huskers are not located in a fertile recruiting ground, which forces them to look outside their own borders for most of their talent. Looking east they landed a good defensive end prospect in Jason Ankrah out of Maryland."

"Not a normal recruiting ground for Nebraska they were able to use a coaching tie to Ankrah's high school to help secure the big end prospect. As a Nebraska continues to try and rebuild the black shirts they added an end with good natural size and a physical nature. He needs to work to be consistent in his get-off and use of his hands, but he can be tough to run at and will flash enough explosiveness to get some penetration and be disruptive. Needs to keep developing as a pass rusher and can bull rush his way back. He needs to keep developing, but once again shows flashes of ability to create some pressure off the edge."

"Ankrah is a good addition especially considering he is from out of their normal recruiting range. He has the tools to develop into a productive starter for the black shirts."

Without sacrificing coaching to get a staff full of ace-recruiters we'll be hard-pressed to compete with Texas. But we'll get significantly closer as the team improves and the staff gels. This is Bo's first year as a HC. I'd imagine there are things he'll wish we did differently and that we'll do differently in the future. We are establishing good connections in Texas and elsewhere that will pay-off in the years to come. We'll be OK.

How likely is ankrah to make grades? I have heard he is in hot water with the situation, and I have heard he is probably fine and will get in with a decent test score. Which is it? Anybody got any insight?

That subject has been discussed above^^^^. Speculation.

Our last two games vs. Texas showed that we aren't nearly as far behind as many would like to believe. Scew the stars, this is shaping out to be a GREAT class!

Yeah, but Kansas State beat them two years in a row, and their team is far from being a contender. But I agree that this class, plus all the talented RS we have, gets me very excited about out future.

The main thing that differentiates us from, say, OU is the line play, especially their o-line this year is extremely good. They also have some excellent corners on their D.

So, we need to focus on building great lines at NE. I think our skill players are pretty competitive, already. We don't have a home run hitter like Demarco Murray, but I would stack Helu/Castille up against the rest of the backs in the Big 12.

How likely is ankrah to make grades? I have heard he is in hot water with the situation, and I have heard he is probably fine and will get in with a decent test score. Which is it? Anybody got any insight?

I would like to think that Bo would not accept his commitment if their was no chance at him making the grades. Bo must be somewhat confident of Jason's ability to make grades to accept his commitment that fast and to recruit him as hard as he did over the past month.

I would also put it out there however, that some kids will probably get offers even if they have no chance in qualifying. It's a strategy that would give us a leg up on the sign and place procedure. Also, no one thought Noel Devine was going to qualify but he miraculously did. Some kids are so good that there is a different set of rules for how you recruit them because it may get you a better chance to get them down the road. Kids like that are few and far between IMO but there are some who fit that mold. Think David Whitmore. I hope that all the work the staff put into him pays off when he eventually qualifies.