S.I. picking NU fourth in the North,3-5

I am not sure if our win total will greatly increase but our level of effort should be a lot better and with that extra effort we should be a couple of wins better. The first step in the return to dominance is effort and a bulls headed attitude that WE WILL NOT QUIT no matter the score. Make the other team realize they were in a fight and the fear of a return to glory for the big red will be comming sooner rather than later

Finishing behind Colorado in north play? CU is definitely making strides but I don't know about 3rd in the

north :wtf

Those guys are pretty good. Hawkins can coach, his talent now fits his system, and his recruiting is great. Fear the buffs my friends, they are rising.

I agree. Fear the Buffs. Kansas and Missouri have risen from nowhere and are now both quite competitive --- and the short term prognosis is that both will remain solid (at the very least). The next team in the North to likely ascend is CU. They have, as was pointed out, a good coach who has already gone through the rebuilding stage (several years ahead of the NU rebuilding stage --- as it is best to consider that the last 6 or so seasons at NU little to no progress towards sustained competitiveness has been made --- and that Pelini, we hope, will start the move toward competitiveness now). So, with CU several solid years ahead of NU in the process, expect CU to arrive before NU. In fact, I'd not be overly surprised if CU does not catch KU in the next few years (probably not this year, but soon).

For this year logic would mandate that Missou followed by Kansas and then Colorado is the pecking order --- with NU coming next.

there's no way we are going to be 6-6 let alone behind colorado in the north. The game that could go either way are @ OU, and @ TTU, and Mizzou

by either way did you mean nu losses by 2 td's or 4 td's. Cause i could see them going either way if thats the case

I know this is a husker board, and you do reserve all rights to drink :koolaid2: , but I think your batch has a little something ;) 'extra' ;) , if you know what i mean :wasted

lol from one extreme to the other.... you better hope your coach and team arent as overconfident as the fanbase is.

I wouldn't worry too much. with every Joe Husker fan pointing out the lincoln streak and every media person bringing it up I'm pretty confident that Mizzou will be more than ready for the game.

My smart butt comment was simply because I am pretty confident, as most of you should be also, that MU is a better team than NU. People are talking possible NT and I am in now way confident enought to rattle a statement like that. I think there are a lot of games MU should win, but "been there, done that" before.

Truthfully though, way does husker fan overlook mizzou as a threat but is scared of TT. I have talked to and seen posts on here where everyone thinks they have such a good shot at upsetting MU but is marking TT as a loss. Tech is a one dimensional team. MU runs and throws, (ran for 176/g, threw for 314/g) scores (over 30pt/g avg for 3 seasons in a row) and was faster and physically stronger than NU last year. Everyone says NU is improving and thats good, but do you think MU is standing still just hanging out. Plus MU has kicked TT rear end the last three times they played, if you want to know to beat tech, watch the game film.

Besides husker fan, althought the national media is paying you no attention, I would bet that every BIG 12 team still wants to kick you butt. What, do you think one year is enought to satisfy the taste buds of teams that took it up the rear for years. Your team is a target, and will continue to be one for the while, even if there is no improvement. You WILL still get everyones top game.

Fro Daddy:

I think you are right on every count. While no one nationally cares about NU anymore and no one expects much from the 'Skers, viewing them as any other lower mid-level conference program (because, unfortunately that is what we are at the moment) --- the fans at KU, KSU, CU, and MU who know any history --- and many of them do --- know the behemoth, the monster, the absolute awesome winning machine NU once was and they remember the whippings, the embarrassments and the pummeling their teams had at the hands of what was the best program in modern college football history. They remember Husker domination and they see now as payback time. Thus the media in those towns will play up the games big and the players --- even if they were only 7 years old when NU last dominated and even if they see an NU team

currently beneath them athletically --- they will have the fans and the media getting them geared up to crush NU. Thus, expect every team to come in with the notion of burying the Huskers. No team will come in under-prepared and overconfident --- the context will not allow for such.

We'll see the best from all our opponents.

By the looks of it, Colorado is going to start off the season 1-5, maybe a 4-8 finish if they're lucky.

Their schedule

Colorado State W

Eastern Washington W

No. 8 West Virginia L

at Florida State ?

Non-Con I see 3-1, or 2-2. Doesn't effect conference, but sets up psyche.

No. 11 Texas L

at No. 14 Kansas L

Kansas State W

at No. 6 Missouri L

at Texas A&M ?

Iowa State W

Oklahoma State W

at Nebraska L

3-5 or 4-4 in conference. NU I say 5-3 or 4-4 in conference. NU ends 3rd in North. Dust off the beer and weird colored shoes - we're going bowling!

I don't expect anyone to show us any kind of respect considering how we played last season. I also think we will go 7-5, possibly 8-4. Anything above that would be an outstanding turn around. I'm not saying that it's impossible, I'm saying it's improbable. Let Mizzou fans and Jayhawk fans talk smack because they played well last season. Last season is last season and all I'm looking towards in the now.

Agreed

7-5/8-4 is not unreasonable. I forsee us upsetting a KU team who will come in overconfident and unprepared. VaTech doesnt have that great of an offense so i see our defense doing decently against them and if our offense works this year we shouldnt have a huge problem beating them. People can talk all they want but when the season comes, dont make us say I told you so.

Perhaps over confident, but I doubt KU will be unprepared for the NU game. I've yet to see a Mangino Coach team show up unprepared to play. It will be a good game.

:wtf

Nebraska will finish at least 2nd in the North. KU will not have the cake walk they had last year with the schedule that they have. A couple injuries, and KU is finished. Colorado could be in the running for 3rd place, but I hope not...everyone knows I hate the buffs... :corndance

This article is nothing more than ONE person's opinion. And most of the national press have no idea what our tradition means to us in Nebraska. dedhoarse

I like this guy's prediction.............................

http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2008ncaastanding.html

Also he boasts that he's been more accurate over the past ten years that everybody else. Let's hope he keeps streak going.

i'd take it

I think everybodys prediction has to suffice you as mizzou is pretty much a unanimous favorite to win the north outside of hardcore kool-aid drinkers :koolaid2:

from what i've been hearing, the kids on the team are aiming for nine wins.

i kid you not.

so let everyone think that they're gonna roll into lincoln and face a cosgrove "slap 'n tickle" high school/big 10-type defense with an offensive unit that 'may' be good.

do i expect a big xii championship? no. but i do expect the huskers to ruin some other school's hopes for a national championship.

yah, i'm looking at you missouri.

amen brother!

i love this post!

You know what, I could really give a rats A$$ about what SI, ESPN, or any of these other "pundits" think about how our season will turn out.

I know one thing, it's going to be a HELL of a lot better than last season. These guys are going to bust their ass, and usually that translates to wins.

I'm not going to say how many wins we'll get, but i know we'll be better off than where we were a year ago.

I don't know about most people but I love it when SI and ESPN rank us low. I wish they would have us at the bottom of the North.

Mainly because we will have a good team this year!! We will be competitive!! Hopefully we can get some Upset wins and then I will love it when Mark, Lou, and Herbstreit have to give the team some props with bitterness in their face.