Running game and Coaching Problems

Apathy

I had posted this on another post and thought that I would post it here on a new Thread. Some of you Husker fans really need to calm down. We've only played two games and our players are still adjusting to the new Coaches. We are 2-0 and there are some schools that were in the Top 25 that lost to schools that weren't even ranked. So I start here with my rant:

:rant

Geez would you just lay off the Cotton subject...........we've only PLAYED TWO GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is Bo's first year at Head Coach and he brought in Cotton get over it. We're 2-0 and we should be 3-0 come this Saturday and then a week off before the Virginia Tech game. Have some of you thought about Cotton using different techniques on how to block and different footwork and all of that crap. Yes the game on Saturday was scary but we WON and that's all that counts.

We still have almost a whole season to improve and stuff, some of you are acting like this is Bo's 5th, 6th, or even 7th season as Head Coach. Some of you are acting like during the offseason that we were promised to win a National Championship. We all knew that we were going to have some problems mainly our Defense but our Offense hasn't been clicking and thats probably because we are teaching them a totally new technique.

"OMG we barely beat San Jose St. or Our running game is terrible and FIRE COTTON AND BO".....really people calm down and just be happy that we are 2-0. Hell Callahan started his first two games here at 1-1 with a loss to Southern Mississippi at HOME....C'mon Southern Mississippi. I would rather have a sloppy win over San Jose St. than to lose our second home game.

Sometimes it's not always the Coaches fault but sometimes the players fault too. Some players have some mental hangovers that get in the way or they're trying to do too much or think to much. When I referee football games there's times were I think to much and then I'd get lost on what is going on out there. There is still plenty of Football to be played and we still have a couple of weeks until the Virginia Tech and Mizzou games. :rant

I'm sorry for that rant but some of you just need to relax and let the players adjust to the new coaches and lets root on our beloved Huskers for this weekend and so on :bonez:cheers

Well........ok since you asked nicely :wasted

Yeah, it's a new staff and they've only played two games. So we should give them a break? Not. Block, tackle, stay set till the snap. Hardly revolutionary football concepts, and yet this is where our mistakes are being made. The basics. I never, ever thought we would be contending for a Nat. championship in Bo's first year, but if things don't improve quickly we are going to be looking at back to back blow outs, at home, from Va. Tech and Misery and hoping for a .500 season. Six weeks into the season is too early for me to start dreaming about 'next year'.

Look, I have alot a confidence in Bo and his staff, but I think even he would tell you we haven't been getting it done.

Yeah, it's a new staff and they've only played two games. So we should give them a break? Not. Block, tackle, stay set till the snap. Hardly revolutionary football concepts, and yet this is where our mistakes are being made. The basics. I never, ever thought we would be contending for a Nat. championship in Bo's first year, but if things don't improve quickly we are going to be looking at back to back blow outs, at home, from Va. Tech and Misery and hoping for a .500 season. Six weeks into the season is too early for me to start dreaming about 'next year'.

Look, I have alot a confidence in Bo and his staff, but I think even he would tell you we haven't been getting it done.

I would agree, they are mental mistakes. Things that will hopefully be shored up. The penalties were huge. Its awful hard to run on 2nd and 25.

If these mistakes aren't fixed by the end of the year, this is a valid argument. Just not after 2 games. Let them teach the kids. They needed a "fastball or two" as Bo said to get something on tape to teach with.

From reading the majority of these threads, you'd think Clownahan was still our HC...

Christ almighty, we've played two games with Bo at the helm in his first year of taking over a storied program that had suffered one of its worst seasons ever. Not too mention, he's hired by the guy thats an icon in college football and you're taking over a team that's in the 2nd best conference in all of college football.

Yes, things aren't perfect, and we're not the well oiled machine of football death just yet, but things are most definitely improving...

I'm sorry for that rant but some of you just need to relax and let the players adjust to the new coaches and lets root on our beloved Huskers for this weekend and so on :bonez:cheers

:clap:clap:clap

Thank you I just don't get with all of the Husker fans complaining about our coaches and stuff. Nebraska fans got a bad rep from last year because of some fans talking crap about the players and then giving crap to the coaches kids and some of you seem like you never learned from it and want to continue on with it.......I don't get it. :dunno

Good Points Fellas :thumbs

Some on this board warned that the season would be a little tougher than others expected. It just happens, our coaches are doing the absolute best. There is no question.

But for those thinking we have this dominant line. Or could have is amazing. We could not run the ball last year when we needed to. Most yards rushing were put up because of the fear of the passing game. Most went in with the idea of stopping the passing game first.

And most of our offensive production was put up in shootouts or against less than starters.

I remind you again, against SC we had 31 yards rushing. That does not indicate a dominant line nor the likelyhood of it even being average.

They are learning and working, and seem to have a good attitude. Overcame the early game problems and won the game, and by a good margin.

You are never going to see the dominance that we saw in the 90's, you have to start learning that. Not a single program is doing that, and I include SC. They are as close to our teams of the 90's that there is, and they struggle with different teams occasionally.

We need to stop thinking the sky is falling. We need to understand we are a mid level program right now, nothing wrong with that as long as you are working your way back, which I think we are, but it takes time, if after three or four years we are still seeing the same things, then it is time to worry.

We are playing and doing just what some figured we would be doing. We have some major hurdles ahead of us, lets support this team and staff, and let them know we are true Husker fans.

Some on this board warned that the season would be a little tougher than others expected. It just happens, our coaches are doing the absolute best. There is no question.

But for those thinking we have this dominant line. Or could have is amazing. We could not run the ball last year when we needed to. Most yards rushing were put up because of the fear of the passing game. Most went in with the idea of stopping the passing game first.

And most of our offensive production was put up in shootouts or against less than starters.

I remind you again, against SC we had 31 yards rushing. That does not indicate a dominant line nor the likelyhood of it even being average.

They are learning and working, and seem to have a good attitude. Overcame the early game problems and won the game, and by a good margin.

You are never going to see the dominance that we saw in the 90's, you have to start learning that. Not a single program is doing that, and I include SC. They are as close to our teams of the 90's that there is, and they struggle with different teams occasionally.

We need to stop thinking the sky is falling. We need to understand we are a mid level program right now, nothing wrong with that as long as you are working your way back, which I think we are, but it takes time, if after three or four years we are still seeing the same things, then it is time to worry.

We are playing and doing just what some figured we would be doing. We have some major hurdles ahead of us, lets support this team and staff, and let them know we are true Husker fans.

Well said!

So if I’m concerned about how bad the OL has played the first 2 games I’m a bad fan even though we were told this was the strength of the team? If I question the hire and coaching ability of a coach that has had minimal success in his career I’m a bad fan? If I am concerned that an offense that was ranked in the Top 20 last year , kept the OC around not to change things, returned pretty much the core of it OL, RB, WR, and a QB that lit it up when he played I’m a bad fan?

How come the people questioning Watson get a pass? (TO made sure he was held-over) Or the people that question Lucky (1700 yards last year) get a pass? Or the people that question Asante get a pass? (Isn’t he still learning this NEW system?)

Also I love that if you are concerned about certain aspects of the performances so far you get told that you know nothing about football, are called idiots and are compared to the fans that were bashing coaches, players and their families in person last year.

I stand by this; I have never come out and questioned any of the coaches other then Cotton. I haven’t once called for Pelini’s head or anyone else’s for that matter, I have only had doubts about the hire of one coach on this staff that is it. I knew there would be struggles this year, I’m not saying that. I just assumed it would be on the defensive side of the ball and not with are “strength”.

For the people that won’t watch games in public because of the fans that are critical of things that aren’t clicking, I invite you to come over to my house or watch a game with me. I will then ask you to tell me when during the game I showed behavior that would constitute me as a bad fan.

I love Husker football and will until I move on to hang out with the man upstairs, but I won’t follow blindly and pretend that are running game is going to be alright when so far it hasn’t shown any evidence other wise. (I know it is only game 2 but look who we played) I hope I eat crow about Barney but through out his career there has been nothing that would make me want to fire up the grill and get ready for some bird.

Did this really need another thread since it was already posted in one?

P.S. I love Bo and T.O. just like the rest of you. Well maybe not like some because I think the man crushes that some have on them is pretty disturbing. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

I have been worried about our OL ever since people were talking about how the DL was able to push them around in practice. To take my mind off of it, I keep thinking back to 1996 when All American Aaron Taylor was moved to center. Against Arizona State while Frost was checking off, Taylor snapped the ball into the endzone giving Arizona State a safety. It wasn't long after that, Taylor was moved back to his natural position. The OL that year improved immensely just by making one simple change. Murtha hasn't played yet. We really need to get a couple of guys healthy to see what they can do. While I still worry about the "strength" of our team, I still have faith a simple correction or two will solve the problem.

Man, there have been some pretty serious injuries that have gone totally unreported...Bo's running a tight ship, this could be New England ;) I mean, it's not a bad thing, but who could have realized that Thenarse and Murtha would be basically held out of two games? And Murillo too (though he did play some)!

I had posted this on another post and thought that I would post it here on a new Thread. Some of you Husker fans really need to calm down. We've only played two games and our players are still adjusting to the new Coaches. We are 2-0 and there are some schools that were in the Top 25 that lost to schools that weren't even ranked. So I start here with my rant:

:rant

Geez would you just lay off the Cotton subject...........we've only PLAYED TWO GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is Bo's first year at Head Coach and he brought in Cotton get over it. We're 2-0 and we should be 3-0 come this Saturday and then a week off before the Virginia Tech game. Have some of you thought about Cotton using different techniques on how to block and different footwork and all of that crap. Yes the game on Saturday was scary but we WON and that's all that counts.

We still have almost a whole season to improve and stuff, some of you are acting like this is Bo's 5th, 6th, or even 7th season as Head Coach. Some of you are acting like during the offseason that we were promised to win a National Championship. We all knew that we were going to have some problems mainly our Defense but our Offense hasn't been clicking and thats probably because we are teaching them a totally new technique.

"OMG we barely beat San Jose St. or Our running game is terrible and FIRE COTTON AND BO".....really people calm down and just be happy that we are 2-0. Hell Callahan started his first two games here at 1-1 with a loss to Southern Mississippi at HOME....C'mon Southern Mississippi. I would rather have a sloppy win over San Jose St. than to lose our second home game.

Sometimes it's not always the Coaches fault but sometimes the players fault too. Some players have some mental hangovers that get in the way or they're trying to do too much or think to much. When I referee football games there's times were I think to much and then I'd get lost on what is going on out there. There is still plenty of Football to be played and we still have a couple of weeks until the Virginia Tech and Mizzou games. :rant

THEY HAVE THE SAME BLOCKING! They just have a different OL coach!