ATH Keeston Terry

Ohio Pete

I'm not a fan of decommitment in general. 17 year old kid or not, the facts are these (for every recruit, not just Keeston): in life it's important to make the important decisions very thoughtfully. Making a commitment to someone and then backing out of it for any reason other than severe emergency or coaching change should be frowned upon by ANY coaching staff. No one forces you to pull the trigger and commit. If you're not ready, don't make the commitment. Take all the time you need. But once that decision is made, it should be the end of it.

I know it's fantasy in today's culture, but even kids who decom from somewhere else in favor of Nebraska make me nervous. It speaks to character, frankly. I'm happy for every recruit that we get, but he who has one commitment issue may have two. Who needs the headache?

Marathon or sprint, we're still at the back of the race as I see it. It's not so much his decommit as it is the fact that we have only 4 kids who've committed. I for one find that pretty disturbing, and would feel a lot better if I knew we could find someone to replace him. But considering we have very few kids so far as it is, I'm having my doubts. Yes, I realize it's July, yes I realize there is a lot of time left, and I do understand this is Pelini's second year and I am very impressed with him so far. However, I still can't help but think we should have more commits than we do.

That's exactly why you aren't a head coach!!

OUCH, That hurt

I really don't understand why commits are happening earlier and earlier. Classes start filling up and it rushes kids into their decisions...

Whatever happened to taking your official visits, seeing places you have never been, taking in 5 big time college football games, and at the same time developing a relationship and getting comfortable with the place you want to attend?

Even if I knew I wanted to be husker, no matter what, I would still go to a lot of games and take it in, then commit. Make nebraska my last official...commit then.

maybe he will pull a Kevin Young from last year? IF KU has a bad season and IF NU has a good one he could switch back.

Last time I checked, we had a better season than KU last year.

Truth is NU was fighting an uphill battle compared to KU, he has his family with the tradition, is closer to campus, and with a 17 year old who gets pestered about his choice repeatedly (changed his number cause he couldn't deal with it) it's easier to go back to what you know, and for Terry that is KU.

While it's frustrating to lose a WR commitment, as long as Watson's offense is here the WR position won't ever make our break NU's offense. We rotate WR too much for one to make a massive impact, it's got it's drawbacks, but we've done pretty well the last two years with a "subpar" recieving core on offense. It's not like Terry pissed all over Memorial Stadium then set it on fire, he chose to go back to what he felt comfortable with.

Good luck to him at Kansas if that's where he ends up, except when he plays us of course.

dedhoarse

your better season was because you played Baylor and not Texas, otherwise would have been the same. can't believe you are bragging about having a better season than KU, Mangino has done a wonderful job.

Go back and read what I quoted slowly. The person I quoted insinuated that Young switched back to KU because they had a better season than Nebraska last year, which unless my math teachers lied throughout the years, 9-4 is better than 8-5 (not to mention the head to head matchup). There was no bragging, just correcting something.

:cop:

I really don't understand why commits are happening earlier and earlier. Classes start filling up and it rushes kids into their decisions...

Whatever happened to taking your official visits, seeing places you have never been, taking in 5 big time college football games, and at the same time developing a relationship and getting comfortable with the place you want to attend?

Even if I knew I wanted to be husker, no matter what, I would still go to a lot of games and take it in, then commit. Make nebraska my last official...commit then.

Coaches just lay it on like no other, they say commit or I move onto someone else, and the kids do it. I would say that if a kid really knows, it's better to get it out of the way. I just think the LOI needs either an earlier signing day, or can be signed immediately. You want to commit? Great! Now sign this piece of paper so I don't have to worry about losing you.

maybe he will pull a Kevin Young from last year? IF KU has a bad season and IF NU has a good one he could switch back.

Last time I checked, we had a better season than KU last year.

Truth is NU was fighting an uphill battle compared to KU, he has his family with the tradition, is closer to campus, and with a 17 year old who gets pestered about his choice repeatedly (changed his number cause he couldn't deal with it) it's easier to go back to what you know, and for Terry that is KU.

While it's frustrating to lose a WR commitment, as long as Watson's offense is here the WR position won't ever make our break NU's offense. We rotate WR too much for one to make a massive impact, it's got it's drawbacks, but we've done pretty well the last two years with a "subpar" recieving core on offense. It's not like Terry pissed all over Memorial Stadium then set it on fire, he chose to go back to what he felt comfortable with.

Good luck to him at Kansas if that's where he ends up, except when he plays us of course.

dedhoarse

your better season was because you played Baylor and not Texas, otherwise would have been the same. can't believe you are bragging about having a better season than KU, Mangino has done a wonderful job.

Go back and read what I quoted slowly. The person I quoted insinuated that Young switched back to KU because they had a better season than Nebraska last year, which unless my math teachers lied throughout the years, 9-4 is better than 8-5 (not to mention the head to head matchup). There was no bragging, just correcting something.

:cop:

apologies then.

HTO is a jerk and posts like he is a jerk and Timm_mmay is not much better. His insider knowledge is pathetic at best.

Dont you think that any fan of any program, save UT, UF USC, could say "recruiting is a real problem" and then just wait for a recruit to decommit? What school doesnt that happen at?

I am not saying there are not issues with this staff and the recruiting there probably is, but saying it is like saying that its going to snow sometime in the next 6 months, is it going to happen for sure? No, but it probably will.

Again, I do think from what I have read that Gilmore needs to change his Cricket cell plan and get him some AT&T and an iPhone and I think Sanders could be the coach that relates to possible recruits the best and could really be a stud but for some reason he is not. But I am saying that HTO is posts like a jerk and Timm_mmay has the same inside info that most people do.

That's fine and that's your opinion, however ask me why so many paying RSS members check out timm_mmays recruiting posts in the threads on the free board?? Going as far as blasting the guy and that he should be blacklisted from the free board because they are paying for their subscriptions/info. Let me guess you pay for one of the services and feel you're getting ripped off???

As for the decommit thing today, these posts in the past couple weeks had absolutely nothing to do with this kid decommitting. It had everything to do with the staff not working and or some coaches not holding up to their end of the bargain. It has nothing to do with K. Terry......well maybe now it will???

As for Gilmore, ask yourself this, do you want a guy that can't recruit/sell worth a lick being the lead salesman (recruiting coordinator) of your football program??? More importantly as a manager overseeing these duties, what clout does he honestly have over these coaches when it comes to this department?? How can he make them recruit when he can't recruit himself??

Or take a multiple week vacation during the summer and hot bed of recruiting to come back and realize.. oh sh#t half my top players on my board are gone.

INCOMPETENT!!! :bang:bang:bang:bang !!!!!!!!

OMG it's the middle of the summer and some NU coaches had the nerve to take a VACATION!!! How dare they!

Quick everyone get your torches and pitchforks, it's time to run these men outta town! :dumdum

A bet you that the other top schools werent scheduling vacations when the hot bed for visits and early commits were going down at lightening speed . A large portion of the top young men we had on the board when he left were gone when he got back.... Someone was recruiting and not vacationing when it counted........

no one (outside of our program) is forcing our coaches to recruit the same or differently from other programs. it is up to Pelini to decide the recruiting philosophy and make sure his coaches/recruiters are applying it to meet HIS expectations.

now, having said that, is Pelini's style of recruiting not effective? well, hard to say, but consider we have very few commits compared to many top programs that are almost full....why is that? will that change down the road? is this by plan, (i don't think so for a minute)? is it still all due to growing pains of the program?

i am not sure what the answer is, only thinking it has more than 2 parts, but obviously, we have to get better recruits and start landing them earlier in the recruiting process, i don't think anyone can argue with that!

Well that's great.. we have 4 commits. I'm starting to wonder what our coaching staff is doing, sometimes it doesn't seem like they push real hard to get or keep kids. How is it that other teams in the Big 12 have far more commits than we do?

I am equally as disappointed about this decommit, but I think it's time to move on and stop dwelling on this.

What is the need to call out the coaching staff on this? The bottom line is Terry felt more comfortable in Lawrence, he is a legacy, and it is close to home. I have a hard time blaming him or blaming the coaching staff. I think we just need to focus on continuing to improve, and winning football games..especially on the national stage.

Keep in mind that recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint.

yeah, but come on guys, we are constantly making excuses for lost recruits. damit, there is still something fundamentally wrong with out recruiting situation...granted we will struggle going head-to-head with OU and UT, but losing the battle against KU and MU is just plain bull$hit...if those teams look better to recruits than we do, we have failed miserably and that is the truth, like it or not.........