ATH Keeston Terry

Ohio Pete

maybe he will pull a Kevin Young from last year? IF KU has a bad season and IF NU has a good one he could switch back.

Last time I checked, we had a better season than KU last year.

Truth is NU was fighting an uphill battle compared to KU, he has his family with the tradition, is closer to campus, and with a 17 year old who gets pestered about his choice repeatedly (changed his number cause he couldn't deal with it) it's easier to go back to what you know, and for Terry that is KU.

While it's frustrating to lose a WR commitment, as long as Watson's offense is here the WR position won't ever make our break NU's offense. We rotate WR too much for one to make a massive impact, it's got it's drawbacks, but we've done pretty well the last two years with a "subpar" recieving core on offense. It's not like Terry pissed all over Memorial Stadium then set it on fire, he chose to go back to what he felt comfortable with.

Good luck to him at Kansas if that's where he ends up, except when he plays us of course.

dedhoarse

your better season was because you played Baylor and not Texas, otherwise would have been the same. can't believe you are bragging about having a better season than KU, Mangino has done a wonderful job.

Go back and read what I quoted slowly. The person I quoted insinuated that Young switched back to KU because they had a better season than Nebraska last year, which unless my math teachers lied throughout the years, 9-4 is better than 8-5 (not to mention the head to head matchup). There was no bragging, just correcting something.

:cop:

I was not insinuatingthat KU had a better season NU. what i meant to say was he could switch back but it might take a good NU season and a bad KU one. Thats all. sorry for the mix up.

I agree with hunter.. it may be that we'll pull in some really good guys before it's all said and done, but still I'm afraid the more time that goes by without them committing, especially after spring game, junior day, etc., the more likely they'll be to forget us and have fresh in their minds the more recent trips they've taken. I don't see how anyone can deny having only 4 commits so far isn't ideal.

no one (outside of our program) is forcing our coaches to recruit the same or differently from other programs. it is up to Pelini to decide the recruiting philosophy and make sure his coaches/recruiters are applying it to meet HIS expectations.

now, having said that, is Pelini's style of recruiting not effective? well, hard to say, but consider we have very few commits compared to many top programs that are almost full....why is that? will that change down the road? is this by plan, (i don't think so for a minute)? is it still all due to growing pains of the program?

i am not sure what the answer is, only thinking it has more than 2 parts, but obviously, we have to get better recruits and start landing them earlier in the recruiting process, i don't think anyone can argue with that!

All good points. On some level, though, I suspect that Pelini's "wait until you're all in" philosophy might work a lot better when we're winning ten games a season for four or five straight years, and appearing in the Big XII title game every year. Again, none of us are experts on recruiting or what the staff is attempting to accomplish, but at this point by numbers and staff, Nebraska should be an attractive enough school to land more than four recruits going into August. We had a top 15 offense last year, and Pelini is one of the best defensive minds in the game. That ought to get a few kids interested.

Thank God winning solves everything. I trust Bo to find a way to do that. But I hope a part of his maturation process as a head coach will involve some tweaks in his recruiting tactics.

yeah, but come on guys, we are constantly making excuses for lost recruits. damit, there is still something fundamentally wrong with out recruiting situation...granted we will struggle going head-to-head with OU and UT, but losing the battle against KU and MU is just plain bull$hit...if those teams look better to recruits than we do, we have failed miserably and that is the truth, like it or not.........

I understand what you're saying and I just want to add this for your, and everyone else's, consideration....

Nebraska vs Kansas:

Tradition: Nebraska

Facilities: Nebraska

Championships: Nebraska

Players In The NFL: Nebraska

Coaching Staff: Nebraska

We have every edge you can think of when it comes to recruiting against Kansas. And yet, we lose a kid like Keeston Terry to the Jayhawks. Why? Because both his parents and high school coach are KU alums. Think about it, the three most influential people in Terry's life are all denigrating NU and talking up KU and people are shocked he switched his committment? Yes it sucks to be sure especially since WR is such a position of need for this class. But sometimes what a program like Nebraska can offer versus a program like Kansas isn't enough. Sometimes it comes down to the team momma likes best and in this case she's a KU alum. Such is life.

yeah, but come on guys, we are constantly making excuses for lost recruits. damit, there is still something fundamentally wrong with out recruiting situation...granted we will struggle going head-to-head with OU and UT, but losing the battle against KU and MU is just plain bull$hit...if those teams look better to recruits than we do, we have failed miserably and that is the truth, like it or not.........

I understand what you're saying and I just want to add this for your, and everyone else's, consideration....

Nebraska vs Kansas:

We have every edge you can think of when it comes to recruiting against Kansas. And yet, we lose a kid like Keeston Terry to the Jayhawks. Why? Because both his parents and high school coach are KU alums. Think about it, the three most influential people in Terry's life are all denigrating NU and talking up KU and people are shocked he switched his committment? Yes it sucks to be sure especially since WR is such a position of need for this class. But sometimes what a program like Nebraska can offer versus a program like Kansas isn't enough. Sometimes it comes down to the team momma likes best and in this case she's a KU alum. Such is life.

I'm guessing you've never seen the new facilities at KU. The recruits that visit say they are some of the best in the B12. Tradition, no we don't have that yet, but kids are excited with the direction we are going and want to be the start of that tradition. Coaching Staff? I would say it's up in the air. Mangino and company took a very bad team and made them a very good team, Pelini has taken a mediocre team and made them a good team so far. Championships and NFL players? No argument from me there. And yes I've seen both KU's and UNL's facilities. you guys need to update them a bit. Oh yeah, BCS bowl game victories KU > UNL. Look at the O you run and the O KU runs, of course WR's are going to want to play here. It's been said all summer that UNL will be a power running team this year.

Nebraska vs Kansas:

There's an objective opinion. :)

I tend to agree we should'nt be too upset at the staff over Terry. At least not without knowing more. Keyston's parent both went to KU and he lives within two hours of Lawrence. Imo, it was surpsiring that we got him in the first place.

But what his decommit does is put more attention on an already small class size. It leaves us with 4 commits - near the bottom in the conference at less than half what KU and MU have. That is inexcuseable imo. We have at least as good facilities if not better, excellent fan support and great tradition. If these schools can recruit players so can we.

Good news is that it's early August and there is plenty of time for the staff to correct the issue.

Nebraska vs Kansas:

Facilities are not as important as many people think. Also, KU just put a ton of money into their football facilities and they are as good as you can find anywhere. The only thing that still sucks is the stadium itself. KU also has Lawrence. Lawrence is an awesome city.....much better than Lincoln (sorry but it's true). The campus is also much better at KU.

Let's also not forget that our society has the "what have you do for me lately" outlook. So IMO.....

Tradition: N

Facilities: even

Championships: barely matters (these kids don't remember the 90s - - besides this could fall under tradition)

Players in the NFL: N

Coaching Staff: even (remember, what have you done for me lately....Mangino has done plenty)

City: KU

Campus: KU

Nebraska vs Kansas:

Facilities are not as important as many people think. Also, KU just put a ton of money into their football facilities and they are as good as you can find anywhere. The only thing that still sucks is the stadium itself. KU also has Lawrence. Lawrence is an awesome city.....much better than Lincoln (sorry but it's true). The campus is also much better at KU.

Let's also not forget that our society has the "what have you do for me lately" outlook. So IMO.....

Tradition: N

Facilities: even

Championships: barely matters (these kids don't remember the 90s - - besides this could fall under tradition)

Players in the NFL: N

Coaching Staff: even (remember, what have you done for me lately....Mangino has done plenty)

City: KU

Campus: KU

While KU has upgraded their facilities considerably I wouldn't call it a tie. We still have a little edge. Hell Swigert had been to Ohio State and Mich but was still blown away by what we have.

Also, Lawrence is nice, and it's close to KC, but WAY better than Lincoln? No.