SIGNED RB Braylon Heard

I took the ACT in 7th grade for some study thing and got a 17......

Yea my cousin just took it, she's in 7th, just got a 23.....

And if what someone said is true that the NCAA will take your best composites, that's even easier... I could of had a 35 if that was the case... The test isn't that hard. Hope he gets what he needs

• Fire 2

And if what someone said is true that the NCAA will take your best composites, that's even easier... I could of had a 35 if that was the case... The test isn't that hard. Hope he gets what he needs

I'm guessing the English section kept you from a 36.

I could have had

I'm usually not on the grammar police, but if there was ever a time to correct someone on grammar it's when they are talking about how well they did on the ACT.

• Fire 4

I could have had

I'm usually not on the grammar police, but if there was ever a time to correct someone on grammar it's when they are talking about how well they did on the ACT.

+1.

Simply brilliant post lol

I could have had

:LOLtartar

I've been involved in a few grammar arguments . . . and they are generally lame. However, you handled this perfectly. It seems perfectly appropriate to address the issue when someone is bragging about their ACT score.

I bet he will be fine. There really isnt much of a difference between a 17-18. I am confident that he makes it to Lincoln.

I don't know - the fact that he spent time preparing from his 16 and got it to a 17 is troublesome. He could take it again and still get 16 or 17 - I hope this is a serious wake-up call for Braylon. It's not incredibly hard to prepare for it, and he should devote the time in test prep a lot more seriously than the last time. Some test prep books and practice exams will go a long way.

I don't get why people are pumped either - if he needed an 18, and got a 17, then how is anything different from when he had a 16? I guess you could say it's officially reasonable to be worried about him making it to Lincoln. Shouldn't be a problem, like you said EZ-E but the signs aren't so great right now.

I found the ACT to be more challenging than the SAT, but that's probably because I was a lot more familiar with the SAT format through preparation. The science section really got me on test day, and it's something that isn't present in the SAT. I also had the impression that the test was overall more challenging. If Braylon wants to cover his bases, maybe he should take the SAT as well (most schools take both and I'm guessing UNL isn't an exception?)...could be worth a shot, since SAT cutoffs are generally pretty low on top of being an easier test.

• Fire 1

I bet he will be fine. There really isnt much of a difference between a 17-18. I am confident that he makes it to Lincoln.

I don't know - the fact that he spent time preparing from his 16 and got it to a 17 is troublesome. He could take it again and still get 16 or 17 - I hope this is a serious wake-up call for Braylon. It's not incredibly hard to prepare for it, and he should devote the time in test prep a lot more seriously than the last time. Some test prep books and practice exams will go a long way.

I don't get why people are pumped either - if he needed an 18, and got a 17, then how is anything different from when he had a 16? I guess you could say it's officially reasonable to be worried about him making it to Lincoln. Shouldn't be a problem, like you said EZ-E but the signs aren't so great right now.

I found the ACT to be more challenging than the SAT, but that's probably because I was a lot more familiar with the SAT format through preparation. The science section really got me on test day, and it's something that isn't present in the SAT. I also had the impression that the test was overall more challenging. If Braylon wants to cover his bases, maybe he should take the SAT as well (most schools take both and I'm guessing UNL isn't an exception?)...could be worth a shot, since SAT cutoffs are generally pretty low on top of being an easier test.

it can sound weak but some people are not good at taking tests... for a variety of reasons.. and tests such as the ACT SAT can be pressure cookers.... imagine all the pressure on the kid.... i wonder if he had tutors and what not... would go and study with them and then go home and just look at the books to review blankly..... doesnt mean he is dumb...i funking BOMBED the SAT and did okay on the ACT... but still got into a school and then moved on to a higher degree later....

i bet the problem for most kids like Braylon and myself included is that they dont know HOW to study.. everyone is diffrent ands its an almost magical try and try again forumula that needs to take place.. some kids just cant sit down on a desk and look and shiet over and over.... for me i didn't really figure out how to study until my junior year of college... once i figured that out i retainined info and straight up kicked ass for the first time in my life at grades...

i think BH is most likely frustrated at his score too... i think the best thing that someone can do for the student athelet that needs some help is to work with them... get to know them and develop study plans with them.... whether it be at a desk, at a library, writing out notes.. using a comptuer to make a study guide you review... writting things out while saying them aloud whatever..... it will help them very much in the future.....

:boxosoap:boxosoap:boxosoap:ahhhhhhhh:corndance

• Fire 2

it can sound weak but some people are not good at taking tests...

SO true. I'm a good test taker, but not necessarily a great learner, and got a 31 on the ACT with NO prep. I didn't finish 1/4 of the math section either, which frustrated me more than anything else. In college, I did okay and graduated with a B.A. in Psychology, Cum Luade with a 3.51 from a small private school; not bad, but nothing special. My girlfriend, on the other hand, isn't a great test taker but graduated Summa Cum Laude with a 4.0 with a B.S. in Speech Pathology from a state university, and she got a 26 on her ACT. She's clearly the better student, but the ACT wouldn't tell you that.

• Fire 2

+1 to that. I did well on those standardized tests, but I'm not a real great student. I don't think I'm a good test taker either, at least not after high school. I just think that as far as tests go, these are some of the most coachable ones, especially with the world of resources out there. But mindset is a big part of it too. You can psyche yourself out of a good score by placing too much importance on the exam and making a big deal out of it. So it doesn't help that Braylon was probably under considerable pressure. The second time I took my SAT, I was on Day 2 of being really damn sick for most of the next week and was just too out of it to care. I think that helped me do much better.

But, I'll take that E-ZE's word about this being "as close as possible" to home free as true. I don't know why that's the case considering it seems below the cut-off, but from reading that part over it almost seems like he doesn't need to take the exam again. I don't know. I guess we'll just wait and see what the updates are.

• Fire 1

I could have had

Funny how your post correcting my grammar, on a MESSAGE BOARD when I'm sitting typing as fast as words come to my mind and not actually focusing on grammar itself (i actually had 36 on english and math, thanks though),fails. Let's look.

I am usually not on the grammar police. Really? You are not usually ON the grammar police? Come on. If you're going to go all grammar freak on a god damn internet message board, at least make sure you do it right in that damn post.

• Fire 1

Funny how your post correcting my grammar, on a MESSAGE BOARD when I'm sitting typing as fast as words come to my mind and not actually focusing on grammar itself (i actually had 36 on english and math, thanks though),fails. Let's look.

I am usually not on the grammar police. Really? You are not usually ON the grammar police? Come on. If you're going to go all grammar freak on a god damn internet message board, at least make sure you do it right in that damn post.

:facepalm:

suck it up, he was just giving you a little crap. don't attempt to correct his statement...he wasn't the one that was trying to come off as the ACT genius. besides...I think you can be "on" the grammar police. you can be "on" a team, or "on" a police force...I can be "on" your mother (any time I want). same thing I think. :)

also, I'm not 100% sure on this...but you aren't suposed to compare a 7th grade score with an 12th grade score. I haven't taken it in 10 years, so I'm not sure if they still test with pencils or with computers, but when I took the test there were multiple grade levels in the room with me and each grade level had a different color of testing sheet. That's because when they determine the score on the ACT, they equate a student's performance to the average performance of students at a particular age or grade level. This means that your 7th grade cousin scoring a 23, is not the same as if a senior in HS took it and got a 23. The senior would probably need to answer 70-80% of the questions correctly, whereas a 7th grader only needs maybe 20% because that will be the normative equivalent for their age. Determining the scores is statistics, and a 7th grader's normative group is with other 7th graders so their percentile rank and mean will be based on that group.

DISCLAIMER: I am "sitting typing as fast as words come to my mind and not actually focusing on grammar itself" - please don't police my response.