SIGNED RB Braylon Heard

This may have been previously posted, and, if so, I apologize. How is Mr. Heard's academic standing? Is he in good shape to qualify?

Most kids, not all, but most kids that attend private/catholic schools are going to be eligble to play. Most of those schools have rigid rules about who can play in high school and really push them to make sure that they get the grades they need for college.

This may have been previously posted, and, if so, I apologize. How is Mr. Heard's academic standing? Is he in good shape to qualify?

Most kids, not all, but most kids that attend private/catholic schools are going to be eligble to play. Most of those schools have rigid rules about who can play in high school and really push them to make sure that they get the grades they need for college.

Word is he's got some work to do still, but as long as he works hard he should make it.

Word is he's got some work to do still, but as long as he works hard he should make it.

How I see it is that a Blue Chip RB was a priority in this class. We wouldnt have gone through recruiting this kid as hard and as long as we did if we werent pretty sure that he would make to it campus.

FWIW, Scout says that Heard reports a 2.5 core GPA, which I know from The Blind Side is the minimum for a player to attain a college scholarship. So yes, Heard is sitting right on the fence, but he does have a semester of school left, and our coaches should definitely be able to help him take care of his academics. He seems like a good kid. I have a feeling he knows the gravity of the situation and will get it done.

something just looks off to me with his footwork. probably something that can be fixed. i cant explain it really. timid, awkwardly jabby. i dunno. he just looks wierd running, juking, and continuing at times. its not very fluid.

its also 4 in the morning. wtf am i doing? this is going to be a looooooooooooooooonnnnngggggggg off season.

For this kid to be in the 2% of the college that may not be able to pursue a college degree is troubling. This could be an uphill battle. If the kid get in struggling to pass the ACT. Unless we are planning on sliding him by he could be in trouble.

I believe that it is his GPA that is our concern. Hes currently at a 2.5. He goes to a private school. His grades should be ok because he should get the help he needs in that area.

For this kid to be in the 2% of the college that may not be able to pursue a college degree is troubling. This could be an uphill battle. If the kid get in struggling to pass the ACT. Unless we are planning on sliding him by he could be in trouble.

I believe that it is his GPA that is our concern. Hes currently at a 2.5. He goes to a private school. His grades should be ok because he should get the help he needs in that area.

Someone else on this board said that his ACT score is an issue as well. He needs an 18 on his ACT and he scored a 16 when he took it as a junior. But perhaps that's not as much of a concern since most people improve upon their standardized test scores from their junior to senior years. :dunno

Someone else on this board said that his ACT score is an issue as well. He needs an 18 on his ACT and he scored a 16 when he took it as a junior. But perhaps that's not as much of a concern since most people improve upon their standardized test scores from their junior to senior years. :dunno

I read that too. I dont think it is too much of a concern. The staff has a great relationship with everyone in that town/High School. So with that said I have confidence that he will be here in the summer.

He needs to pass his core courses to meet the NCAA requirements, as well as get an ACT score that will qualify him on the sliding scale.

It's not really an 18, the NCAA scale now adds the 4 sections (English, Math, Reading, Science) together for a cumulative score. With a 2.5 GPA you need a 68 on the ACT (17 on each section) to be eligible, along with a certain number of core courses. My understanding is the scores don't even have to be on one test, it's your highest in each category across all tests.

2.5 GPA is not the minumum requirement, it's a sliding scale. You can have a 2.0 and a cumlative score of 86 (average of 21.5) on the 4 sections and still be eligible.

My understanding is the scores don't even have to be on one test, it's your highest in each category across all tests.

Yep:

14.3.1.3.2 Combined Test Scores. For students using the SAT examination, the highest scores achieved

on the critical reading and mathematics sections of the SAT from two different national testing dates may be

combined in determining whether the student has met the minimum test-score requirements. For students

using the ACT examination, the highest scores achieved on the individual subtests of the ACT from more

than one national testing date or state-administered examination may be combined in determining whether

the student’s sum score has met the minimum test-score requirement.

What we don't know is his actual GPA in the core courses and if he will have taken them all, but as mentioned, they are typically doing the things to get qualified all along in order to remain in the private school. (Specifically, I recall a kid at Prep more than a few years ago who was a beast, but dumb as a box of rocks and still managed to get in.) I guess we'll see what happens.