Fullbacks

I would imagine we'll use a FB when the situation calls for it. I doubt we'll be back to the Power-I anytime soon, but these guys have their uses.

With ZLee's wheels, I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a bit of Triple Option this year. Every time those FBs got a carry it was a sight to behold, as they either broke into the clear for 10+ yards or they dragged along a few defenders before finally going down.

I would imagine we'll use a FB when the situation calls for it. I doubt we'll be back to the Power-I anytime soon, but these guys have their uses.

With ZLee's wheels, I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a bit of Triple Option this year. Every time those FBs got a carry it was a sight to behold, as they either broke into the clear for 10+ yards or they dragged along a few defenders before finally going down.

Va Tech and OU both use FBs and KSU will also.

IMO even if we do run the triple option it will be out of the two back set in the shotgun with Castille and Helu back there with Lee. How many of them are scholorship players? One? I do think that Watson would like to have a power run game with a fullback in there for about 10-15 snaps a game. If we are going by the logic that we have six fullbacks why do we need them, then you could look at the roster and say we have 20 OL or 15 WR's.

Watson just didn't have a fullback worth putting in. Unless Zimmerer is a real stud I don't think we'll see a fullback this year either, other than Suh on goalline. Zimmerer should be ready to roll in '10.

yeah im thinking this is it, i remember reading that they told zimmerer they had running and passing plays for the fullback in the playbook. I'm hoping its a personnel thing, bc i think this is something that gets overlooked by most schools, USC actually does a pretty good job of using its fullback. I think in all the years callahan was here the fullback got one carry, that year down in oklahoma and it was like a 30 yard gain, lol.

IMO even if we do run the triple option it will be out of the two back set in the shotgun with Castille and Helu back there with Lee. How many of them are scholorship players? One? I do think that Watson would like to have a power run game with a fullback in there for about 10-15 snaps a game. If we are going by the logic that we have six fullbacks why do we need them, then you could look at the roster and say we have 20 OL or 15 WR's.

Well the staff thought highly enough of those players to ask them to walk on. I am betting some of them could end up switching positions. Some may do exactly what you say and be very valuable contributors on the Scout team.

Watson just didn't have a fullback worth putting in. Unless Zimmerer is a real stud I don't think we'll see a fullback this year either, other than Suh on goalline. Zimmerer should be ready to roll in '10.

yeah im thinking this is it, i remember reading that they told zimmerer they had running and passing plays for the fullback in the playbook. I'm hoping its a personnel thing, bc i think this is something that gets overlooked by most schools, USC actually does a pretty good job of using its fullback. I think in all the years callahan was here the fullback got one carry, that year down in oklahoma and it was like a 30 yard gain, lol.

That is what the H-Back is for, and IMO Zimmer won't get too many shots at that position as long as Reed has it. That said I think what huskers1 said about having the power set 10-15 snaps a game this year and going forward is absolutely spot on. This year Zimmerer may not quite be ready so they may use the H-Back look more, but in 2010 look for the return of the Fullback.

I disagree. I don't think there will be much triple option due to the lack of experienced depth behind Lee. If Lee gets hurt, are they going to burn Cody Green's redshirt? Throw in a former linebacker? Will Kody Spano be ready to play health-wise? More importantly, is he any good? I just don't see it. I look for the Huskers to run some more I-sets to utilize the strength of the team which will be Castille/Helu running behind a seasoned line. Hopefully the surplus of fullbacks is because of this goal in mind, otherwise it is a waste of roster spots.

Maybe triple option every once in a while, but I wouldn't expect to see it much. Considering the depth at QB - and most likely not wanting to burn Green's redshirt - I would expect that the coaching staff would try to minimize the hits Lee takes.

That said, I do believe they will utilize a variation of a zone-read option including Reed/Mendoza in the mix as perhaps an H-back type position (somewhat similar to how Harvin was utilized at Florida).

Just a guess based on what I have seen, but I expect to see a pretty similar offense to what we ran last year with slight variations based on our new players at the WR/TE and QB positions.

Hopefully we can get the power running game going this year with some better blocking up front. If we do, I expect to see the fullback used. I'm predicting fewer than 5 carries, if any, for the next year. With Suh still in the line up, I doubt the other full backs will see much playing time.

Maybe triple option every once in a while, but I wouldn't expect to see it much. Considering the depth at QB - and most likely not wanting to burn Green's redshirt - I would expect that the coaching staff would try to minimize the hits Lee takes.

That said, I do believe they will utilize a variation of a zone-read option including Reed/Mendoza in the mix as perhaps an H-back type position (somewhat similar to how Harvin was utilized at Florida).

Just a guess based on what I have seen, but I expect to see a pretty similar offense to what we ran last year with slight variations based on our new players at the WR/TE and QB positions.

for some reason Watson seems averse at putting more than 1 back, occasionally 2, in the backfield. in fact most offenses seldom show a stacked full house backfield....that is part of the game that has gone the way of the spotted owl..

for some reason Watson seems averse at putting more than 1 back, occasionally 2, in the backfield. in fact most offenses seldom show a stacked full house backfield....that is part of the game that has gone the way of the spotted owl..

Yeah even the heavy sets early on last year were 2 TE's, 2 WR's, and 1 IB plus the 5 O-linemen and QB. Not sure why they didn't go with 1 TE and add a FB if they wanted the 2 WR's out there.