DE Jalen Grimble

Ohio Pete

I will tell you that USC has a very high bar to jump over for his services.

Personally I dont think Lame Kiffin and his crew can set or even match the bar Nebraska set when Jalen and his father visited.

In reality yes - but Kiffin is one hell of a salesman. I'm not sure you can dog on him about the "family" issue considering half of Kiffin's family coaches the team. It's like a multi-generational reunion every day, complete with rock/movie stars and some potato salad on the side. The question will be whether or not the Grimbles can see through all the smoke he blows up their A$$ - and if in reality it is just a bunch of smoke...I'd think his cousin would have already told him about it.

We talk on here about how it takes years to build up relationships with HS coaches, and develop a territory, earn a reputation. Look at what Kiffin did in a single year in TN. He didn't have any relationships there. He had a salesman personality and some hot coeds. The result was one of the best classes in the nation without a single thing we think is required to recruit well. He took half of Georgia and he'd probably never even visited the state. Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee - he raided them all. Regardless what you may think of Kiffin (and most of what everyone has formed their opinion of him off of is based on his departure from TN for his dream job - can't blame him there) he and his staff are spectacular recruiters. Assuming we actually did set the bar, if there is a staff in the country that can raise it - it's Kiffin's.

He might be a great salesman, but some of kids he recruited to Tenn were not as tight with their family as Jalen. Being a saleman can only get you so far in the recruiting world, you need to build relationships and open up some doors through that relationship. He might be able to get kids to buy into his used car salesman talk, but a kid that is close with his father like Jalen, its hard to bu**sh#t them.

He might be a great salesman, but some of kids he recruited to Tenn were not as tight with their family as Jalen. Being a saleman can only get you so far in the recruiting world, you need to build relationships and open up some doors through that relationship. He might be able to get kids to buy into his used car salesman talk, but a kid that is close with his father like Jalen, its hard to bu**sh#t them.

Looks to me as though it has gotten Kiffin pretty dang far so far. Not evening mentioning he sold himself to that HOT wife of his (pics below for confirmation - it was cold outside in the 2nd)...he landed the Raider job in his mid-30's. Rode in on a magic red carpet to TN and put together arguably the best staff in the county. Then proceded to land a recruiting class that any of us would love to have - regardless of whether or not those kids were tight with their families. Last I checked mommy and daddy don't get to take the field with their kids on gameday. And please don't go off on me about character and all that BS - look at our teams from the 90's that won championships. Look at Miami's teams, even most recently Florida/Alabama. Sadly, there is almost a direct correlation between the number of felons on your team and the percentage chance you have a winning a championship these days. Then, as if he hadn't sold himself enough - he managed to convince USC, arguably one of the best jobs in the country to hire him when his record suggests that he shouldn't be able to land the North Texas job. However (to steal a quote from Tommy Boy) - Kiffin "could sell a ketchup popsicle to a lady in white gloves." - Don't underestimate Kiffin.

layla1.jpg?w=468&h=259

layla-kiffin-tennessee.jpg

layla.JPG

Wow another big recruit would rather hear how great he'll be than how much he has to compete. Big surprise. Say what you want about Lane Kiffin, but he's one of the last people you want to get in a recruiting war with. This will be the first of many.

Hopefully we'll stick it in his nose with Aaron Green.

Well, you know, we can't get 'em all, but this is dreadful early in the process. Too early for me to get too upset over losing someone yet. I'm saving that for February.

Lane might be a used car salesmen, but some of you might be forgetting that it's Monte that runs the defense. A legend that has a defense he created (at least I think so) still in use by a number of NFL teams.

He modified an existing scheme. Really it was a scheme from Pittsburgh during it's defensive prime. Really, the Peso is just a further evolution of the changes made when they moved towards a "Tampa 2". Emphasize speed and technique, which is essentially what a peso back does. Hard-hitting safeties ala what Bo is pushing, fast linebackers who can cover or stop the run, ala what Bo is pushing. I think you'll find that Bo may end up making more productive changes to the classic schemes than Monte did.