SIGNED S Corey Cooper

chamrocck

I don't know if this has been said and I don't feel like going thru 9 pages to find out but here is a quote from Scout.com editor Allen Wallace:

“Right now, if I were at the tables on Vegas and I had to put my money down, I’d have to say that Corey Cooper looks like he’s a Nebraska signee.”

I found this quote here and feel free to read the whole article.

Brian Munson said almost the exact same thing on 1620 yesterday, when Kugler asked him almost the identical question about putting money on which of the remaining 4 targets, Owa, Cooper, Fulton, and Carnes, would commit he said he would feel comfortable putting money on Owa and Cooper for sure and possible Carnes. Fulton is hard to read right now.

I would hardly say that ND's schedule is "playing with the big dogs". They play a couple good teams a year and aside from that it's all middle of the pack teams.

yup. their overall schedule seems to typically be about the same or (more often) weaker than any BCS conference team.

I think you both missed the part where I named the big dog schools for example Michigan, USC, Michigan State, Stanford. I think a lot of people would agree that ND's schedule is a lot harder than Cinci's.

i'm familiar with the teams ND plays regularly and i wouldn't consider michigan state or stanford to be "big dog" schools. stanford had five losses in their best season in years and michigan state is a middle of the pack team in a middle of the pack BCS conference. i do give ND credit for scheduling USC and michigan annually, but if they aren't in a good conference, they need to make sure they put together marquee games on their own. they do a respectable job of it, but let's not pretend they go through the gauntlet every season.

the facts are that the best team ND played this year ended with three losses and ranked 15th and that ND finished with the 37th hardest schedule according to the sagarin rankings. last year it was the 50th hardest.

also, i'll admit that i forgot about the big least conference when considering the strength of BCS conference slates, but it's worth noting that cincinnati's SOS wasn't much different than ND's this season (37th vs. 44th) or last (50th vs. 60th).

i think they have cooper as N because it's what makes sense. out of the schools he's looking at, we're the one that can do the most for him. but hey, recruits don't always do what makes sense. i hope that they are right and he does choose us, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Rivals did an interview with Cooper that they posted today. Nothing very new in it. Basically Cooper says how he decided not to visit FSU because the whole recruiting process has been really getting to him and his family. So he decided to shut everything down and look over everything one last time before making his final decision. He said he doesn't want to set a timetable. When he makes up his mind he'll let everyone know.

He sounds really confused, frustrated and tired at this point. I wonder if he's been hearing so many people say different things in his ear that he needs everyone to be quiet while he has time to think. He definitely didn't sound like a soft commit guy like a lot of people had been suspecting. He sounds genuinely confused and frustrated. Either that or he's the best actor ever. This thing could any any number of ways. Let's hope it's our way.

Rivals did an interview with Cooper that they posted today. Nothing very new in it. Basically Cooper says how he decided not to visit FSU because the whole recruiting process has been really getting to him and his family. So he decided to shut everything down and look over everything one last time before making his final decision. He said he doesn't want to set a timetable. When he makes up his mind he'll let everyone know.

He sounds really confused, frustrated and tired at this point. I wonder if he's been hearing so many people say different things in his ear that he needs everyone to be quiet while he has time to think. He definitely didn't sound like a soft commit guy like a lot of people had been suspecting. He sounds genuinely confused and frustrated. Either that or he's the best actor ever. This thing could any any number of ways. Let's hope it's our way.

I often forget how difficult this process is for recruits. Owa...cooper....they're under a lot of pressure from family and friends and from what they believe is the best place. Good post. Whether or not Nebraska is his choice, I hope that Cooper finds the right place to play football for the next three/four years.

What would recruiting season be without some last-minute drama?

It sounds like Husker fans may get it in the case of Corey Cooper, the touted safety who is considering Nebraska along with three other schools.

"I'm deciding on signing day," Cooper told the Journal Star on Monday.

If that holds true, the native of Maywood, Ill., won't be making his college pick until next Wednesday.

Notre Dame, Arizona and Illinois are also on Cooper's list.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Cooper said Nebraska's defense has "caught my attention."

But it's his relationship with coaches that really has Cooper considering signing with the Huskers this late in the game.

"When I visited with them, I just felt comfortable," Cooper said.

As for the whole recruiting process?

"It's been good, but I'm ready to get it over with," Cooper said.

Cooper has committed to Illinois, but some analysts have thought he might be leaning NU's way.

Allen Wallace, Scout.com national recruiting editor, says it would be a major addition for the Huskers.

"He likes to hit, and sometimes that's one of the most underrated aspects of these athletes," Wallace said. "You're looking for someone who's a football player. You see lots of guys with lots of exponents and they look good in drills, and they're very much looking the part from a physical standpoint. But there's something to be said about whether the guy's just a football player."

LJS article

:bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez

since we all appear to be very bored, do you know something about this certain kid? (in a totally none argumentative tone)

No. Just wasn't getting the attention he deserves. Was my way of bumping him without just writing bump. Here, allow me. :facepalm:

Anyone, not necessarily him, but someone who knows him, could come on and see him sliding down the thread list and relay that we only care about Owa. No reason to believe this kid can't be better than Owa in the end. He is an important piece of the puzzle. Granted Owa is one of the best prospects, but part of the reason we are on pins and needles is, whether people will admit it or not, we are looking at him as a plug-in for Suh. People will claim they are smarter than that, but 38 pages on one guy? No one is a one man defense (ok, Suh was), but I would take two solid starters (say, a Dillard and an Asante) over Owa's commitment. :snacks:

:bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez :bonez

since we all appear to be very bored, do you know something about this certain kid? (in a totally none argumentative tone)

No. Just wasn't getting the attention he deserves. Was my way of bumping him without just writing bump. Here, allow me. :facepalm:

Anyone, not necessarily him, but someone who knows him, could come on and see him sliding down the thread list and relay that we only care about Owa. No reason to believe this kid can't be better than Owa in the end. He is an important piece of the puzzle. Granted Owa is one of the best prospects, but part of the reason we are on pins and needles is, whether people will admit it or not, we are looking at him as a plug-in for Suh. People will claim they are smarter than that, but 38 pages on one guy? No one is a one man defense (ok, Suh was), but I would take two solid starters (say, a Dillard and an Asante) over Owa's commitment. :snacks:

One thing for sure, Safety is a higher priority of need right now than DE. Owa is icing on the cake.

This guy is going to be a good one. Bo likes him so much because he reminds him of Larry Asante. Great on the point of attack, very aggressive, and loves to put on a big hit. With a little bit of bo, and company magic, we could turn him into a star. This kid earns my respect! COUP COUP COUP!