Mangino threads

stargazer

the jason whitlock colum i thought was very insightful and quite honest... enjoyed it a lot.. .its a shame about the weight thing......

colin cowherd tried his best to tie the weight thing to him always being pissed off and how basiclly the weight thing is gonna get him fired being under 6'0 and 500 pounds or so....

good read

Since when does fat = angry? Where did Whitlock and Cowherd get their psych degrees? What a complete BS stereotype that is. And to think these people have a national audience. :facepalm:

Here's a pretty good blog I ran across:

In two years, Kansas coach Mark Mangino has gone from National Coach of the Year to on the verge of getting the boot. Mangino is 50-46 overall, but a 23-29 conference record doesn't look too good on paper. Combined with the Jayhawks 1-5 record after being ranked as high as No. 16 in the AP Poll and starting the year 5-0, they've had a Mangino-sized implosion.

Mangino is two wins away from tying the most all-time wins in Kansas history. That's right, a coach hired in 2002 can potentially own the record of most wins in six seasons. Mangino also led Kansas to a 12-1 record two seasons ago, the best ever in school history.

So where does Kansas get this holier-than-thou football program gumption? The record for wins is 52. If a coach went .500 for five seasons in a row, they'd have 35. So why the review?

But why? Why is Mangino under investigation?

Maybe it has to do with his health. Could his weight actually be an issue? K.C. Star columnist Jason Whitlock says yes:

"This column is not an attempt to shame, embarrass or ridicule Mangino," writes Whitlock. "As you know, I’m overweight. I’m a shade over 6 feet tall and this morning, I weighed 325 pounds. (Oh, that hurt to write.) I’ve been heavier. Much.

"I can relate to Mangino’s struggle. He’s three or four inches shorter than me, and he weighs anywhere from 450 to 500 pounds. He’s a public figure in a demanding, high-stress job."

Whitlock continues to make valid points, most notably ...

"Beyond X’s and O’s, good coaching is a transference of energy. It takes a massive amount of energy to impact 100 boys on a college campus. At his age (53) and weight, Mangino cannot sustain the necessary energy level to positively influence his players. His team is being engulfed by his negative energy, a dark spirit driven by his excess weight."

Whitlock does say that Mangino would be a BCS candidate or even NFL head coach material if he lost a couple-hundred pounds.

In the court of public opinion, yes weight can be an issue. After all, America loves the fat funny guy, but the mean fat person gets shunned. And that's apparently where the issue lies. Mangino is a mean, fat guy.

Which has elevated this entire story to over-blown status. The Kansas coach simply poked a player in the chest. Is that wrong? A chest poke. Bobby Knight slapped a player across the face. We love that Bobby Knight. Bobby Knight was a winner. Mangino apparently went batsh#t in 2007 because he was getting a parking ticket in Lawrence. Up until recently, that incident never saw the light of day -- but Kansas was 12-1 then. We loved the Coach of the Year. Mangino was a winner.

Now, that the Jayhawks are on a five-game losing streak, we are starting to see the onset of mutiny. We are hearing stories of insane behavior over parking violations from two years ago. ESPN.com reports that at least one KU football players' parent isn't surprised by the investigation. Another (unnamed) source says that some players have threatened transferring because "of what they perceive as having been spoken to in an inappropriate manner." Last I checked this is football, apparently emo music and tight jeans is starting to ruin the ego's of jocks, too. Every team should hire a chi consultant. When did being a little bitch become cool?

“This is what comes when things aren’t going well,” Mangino said in a press conference on Tuesday. “You’re going to find disgruntled people. It’s a fact of any organization, whether it’s sport related, whether it’s corporate, any profession you’re in. … That’s life. It’s how it works.”

Personally, I smell a coup here. AD Lew Perkins, the man responsible for launching this investigation, has added interest in KU football being successful. His legacy depends on it. On the heels of the 2007 season, Perkins started renovating the football stadium, raising money in an effort to finally get competitive with the rest of the Big 12. Included in that renovation is a $34 million plan to build premium seating, which despite being a tough sell, is aimed to launch in time for next season. Apparently, no one wants to pay premium prices for a not-so premium team.

Perkins appears to be protecting his job. Fortunately for him, Mangino is an easy target and an easy person to hide behind. That makes the perfect fall guy.

LINK

Here's one from the KU board

"Raymond Brown told rivals about an instance where Mangino clearly crossed the line. During pre-season practice, Brown told the team and coaches that his brother had been shot and was in the hospital. Later that day Mangino was yelling at Brown and told him he would send him back to St Louis to get shot like his brother."

Here's one from the KU board

"Raymond Brown told rivals about an instance where Mangino clearly crossed the line. During pre-season practice, Brown told the team and coaches that his brother had been shot and was in the hospital. Later that day Mangino was yelling at Brown and told him he would send him back to St Louis to get shot like his brother."

How serious was the injury?

Kansas beat Minnesota in the insight bowl last year. And to say they didn't deserve to go to the orange bowl is silly. 1 loss team in the big 12...who should've gone? Missouri?

Clearly. Beat them head to head, won the division, ranked higher in the coaches poll the ap poll and the BCS. Pleayed a much stronger schedule, defeated a number of ranked teams and so on. Ku didnt beat one bsc team with a winning record until the orange bowl, lost the division, was lower ranked, had lost the head to head 2 weeks prior and so on.

Let me guess you belive NE deseaved to play for the NC in 2001 too.. :wacko:

Well since oregon also had one loss and won their conference....no. KU had one loss...MU had 2. Simple enough for me. Can't complain about the 2001 outcome and then believe the 2007 should be the same. The record of major conferences has to come first. No 2 loss team deserves a BCS bowl when there is a 1 loss team sitting there from the same conference. This is the way I believe the rankings should work. You disagree. That's fine.

I can't imagine one poor season (poor by our standards) would be enough to even think about a replacement at such a place. I have great respect for Mangino and I really hope it's not health related. If it is with a player...hopefully it's nothing serious.

I dunno. Reminds me of people who showed two, maybe three games worth of patience for Shawn Watson's rebuilding offense before grabbing the torches and pitchforks.

Yeah. The parallels are uncanny.

Except for the fact that one school's standards are high and above the other's....

And the fact that one school's season is imploding while the other's is still capable of a BCS bowl. And the fact that one school is playing with one of its best teams ever while the other school is rebuilding. And the fact that one of the coaches has been on scene for eight years while the other has yet to complete his second year.

Aside from that, it's almost exactly the same.

Well considering that the entirity of my point is that losing creates short term memory problems, I accept your compliment.