Bo Pelini: Colorado is our rival

knapplc

We gain nothing by beating this team. Nothing.

I would argue differently because if you lost to use and then to Texas that is a 2 game slide and I am not sure how eager the Cotton or Holiday Bowls would be, of course your travelling fan base is probably the best out there and they might still take a lesser Cornhusker team over say Texas Tech.

OK, let me rephrase - we gain nothing more by beating this team than we gained by beating Baylor.

Depends on Okielite.

If they win they go to the Fiesta Bowl. Lose to the Cotton is my guess.

TexasTech to the Cotton if Okielite wins. Beat us and are home town boys.

We end up in the Holiday bowl.

Fiesta does not take Okie lite we end up in the alamo bowl.

Yes, Knapple, it's a created rivalry, and yes, if they slapped Iowas State as the last game of every season it would take on more meaning than deserved.

But it's still a rivalry. Not a legendary rivalry. Not the best rivalry. Clearly not your favorite rivalry. But a rivalry.

My definition of a rivalry is when the records get tossed out the window. No matter if each team's season has gone in different directions, it's never considered an easy game. And crazy sh#t can happen. Colorado certainly fits that bill over the last 20 years.

Not sure I can argue the point with someone who thinks this game means nothing. Guess I'm old fashioned but I like winning and think 9 - 3 sounds better than 8 - 4.

p.s. Coaches use rivalries for motivation. And if one coach doesn't think it's a "rivalry", the other coach will most certainly exploit that.

We had a rivalry game and the conference "split" killed it. We have no natural rival geographically, competing annually for the North, etc. Until we schedule the same non-conference team each year, or another North team steps up (assuming we do too) and is the team to beat each year for the North crown, we won't have a rival. So far, MU, KSU and CU are all about even, but it will take several years of going head to head for the north for a rivalry to take. Just the fact that several threads were started about "beating Texas," the week we are to play CU, shows that we don't consider CU a rival. No way we look past OU in the 70's or 80's like that.

Yes, Knapple, it's a created rivalry, and yes, if they slapped Iowas State as the last game of every season it would take on more meaning than deserved.

But it's still a rivalry. Not a legendary rivalry. Not the best rivalry. Clearly not your favorite rivalry. But a rivalry.

My definition of a rivalry is when the records get tossed out the window. No matter if each team's season has gone in different directions, it's never considered an easy game. And crazy sh#t can happen. Colorado certainly fits that bill over the last 20 years.

Not sure I can argue the point with someone who thinks this game means nothing. Guess I'm old fashioned but I like winning and think 9 - 3 sounds better than 8 - 4.

p.s. Coaches use rivalries for motivation. And if one coach doesn't think it's a "rivalry", the other coach will most certainly exploit that.

C'mon, man. That is absolutely not what I'm saying and you know it.

...we gain nothing more by beating this team than we gained by beating Baylor.

Reading - still fundamental after all these years.

i don't see colorado as a rival. if we have a crappy season but colorado, we arent any happier. i just want to crush them every time we play them because their fans are dicks. i think rivalry is about respect, and i dont respect them at all. i dont see them as a threat to us. if we lose to them, its not because they were legitimately better than us, it was because we messed up and let them beat us, or beat ourselves.

if colorado wasnt a rival beforehand, they certainly became a rival when the wheels fell off in 2001 and they spent the night running up the score and laughing about it on the sidelines. if you ask people from outside the state exactly when nebraska football went tits-up, most of them will point to that 2001 colorado game. it was a thorough humiliation on the national stage, and every year nebraska should be focused on getting vengeance. just because colorado doesnt have a very good record this year is no reason to waste a perfectly good oppurtunity to kick them when they're down.

yes, nebraska might hold a massive lead in the head-to-head wins category. i dont think that matters much. colorado has been pretty competitive since the mid-nineties, coming within a field goal of winning like five games in a row before finally beating NU in 01. and they are 4-4 against the huskers since.

I say Colorado is a rival in the same sense that Missouri is a rival. They're not THE rival, but a rival. Of course we blow them out of the water historically, but that doesn't make the individual games any less competitive, at least in recent years. I don't consider Iowa State a rival because they are so non-threatening (yes, I know we lost to them), and I don't dislike their fanbase or take extra pleasure in seeing us beat them. I wouldn't say we have a true rival right now, but more power to you knapplc if you don't want to consider them a rival. We are better than them after all.

Come on. I don't care that CU is not a good team. I always look forward to the Thanksgiving games. I think the fanbase as a whole hates CU with a passion. And they've played us ridiculously close when we were on top. We've had some really tight games with them lately.

And with the Thanksgiving format since the inception of the Big 12, I have to say if that's not a rivalry, what is?

So if we played Iowa State the day after Thanksgiving, that would make it a rivalry? :dunno

It's pretty obvious why we play Colorado on that date - the Big XII took away our rivalry game with Oklahoma, and the Huskers were unwilling to give up the national spotlight of that game on that date, so they slotted Colorado in as the next best thing.

Sounds like you just said that they became our rival.

"Next best thing" does not mean rival.

Since nobody else would do it, I went ahead and got the numbers I asked for way up there ^^^ at the top of the thread. Does this look like two comparable schools:

NU	CU
National Championships				  5	 1*
Conference Championships			   46	26
Record (all time)			823/340/40	658/419/36
Consecutive sellouts				  304	0 
Heisman Trophy winners				  3	1
All other Trophy Winners			   21	8
Academic All-Americans				 64	?
Athletic All-Americans				106	30
Head-to-Head wins					  47	18
Bowl Games Played					  45	27

* - denotes bogus 5th down touchdown travesty at 1990 Colorado vs. Missouri game.

In what way is Colorado comparable to Nebraska? These numbers aren't even close. Not remotely close.

Fixed that for you.

I guess I fail to see them anymore of a rival than K State, Mizzou and such and in my own little world would like to save that spot for the Sooners. That's basically how it is with many of us so called "older generation". I seriously doubt that Nebraska has ever had a set of conference championship rings made up with the score of the game with CU on them! But having the Buffs circle our date and think of us as their main rival is a compliment to the Husker program. We think of the Sooners as our big rival game while they don't consider it so anymore. That is a compliment to their program from us. We don't consider it a snub that they consider the RRR their big game. So instead of arguing the point maybe we should consider it a compliment and know that we will generally get their A game regardless of the record. In all honesty all fan bases have poor sports and in general they are, shall we say, age deprived. One year a bunch of my buds and I went out to Boulder without tickets. Most of us ended up getting tickets for $85- $100. Two of my buds got free tickets from an older CU fan. "Enjoy the game".