SIGNED QB Brion Carnes

JTrain

I know we lost Owa but look on the bright side: We could be Western Kentucky

1. They just lost the most high profile recruit in their programs history in Carnes

2. They have to play Nebraska, to whom they lost said recruit, at Memorial Stadium, to start 2010.

3. They're nicknamed the "HILL TOPPERS"?

4. Their mascot looks like the by product of an illicit affair between McDonalds character Grimmace

and a red bean bag chair.

Just coping with the Owa loss like everyone else. :wasted

I personally think the Hilltoppers mascot is one of the best in all of college sports. Also, their nickname is regional and historical. Isn't ours? Would you rather be a guy who climbed a hill in the Appalachians or a guy who husks corn on his front porch?

Isn't that where Deliverance was made??? I can hear the banjoe playing now.

im glad brion came... when i found out i was sooo shocked!! we had totally given up hope and bagged on him to some degree... since i'm finally getting around to posting thought i can't wait to hear the interviews and here what he had to say....

but i wonder a bit about the kid... some people say its an effort thing or talent thing... but the kid obviously wanted to come to place where he felt he could compete and win and that says a lot (if he lacked heart or grit i believe he just would have packed it up for the school that was willing to throw him the keys to the car) at least here at Nebraska he is willing to nut up and compete......

that says alot....... so welcome Brion!!

Bringing Carnes' profile back to the top to remind folks that he's about to be interviewed on 1620.

If you missed it, solid interview from Carnes on 1620 this afternoon.

Sounds like this guy is really happy with his choice, and he made his choice for the right reasons too. He felt like he was being pressured by people around him & those at WKU to sign his LOI there, but deep down his heart & prayers lead him here because he wants to contend for a national title and Heisman. Carnes said his family fully supports his decision, and as much as he'll be playing to accomplish his own personal goals, he will also play for his family as the 1st person in that fam to get a college education, which btw is another reason he chose NU.

Carnes & his interviewers talked at length about his calmness & control in the pocket, as well as his ability to pass so precisely while on the move (see youtube clip from Nexus above). His first response to their praise was thanking God for his ability to play QB like that. Carnes said he has been a QB his whole & believes he was born for it.

Overall, Carnes seemed really laid back, humble & confident in his ability. Sounds exactly like the kind of guy we want leading our offense in the future.

One more interesting factoid Brion shared - he also competes in track & field. His two events are the 200-meter dash & discus. Here's the best part, he won state in discus last year, & he attributes that success to his arm strength (just in case you needed proof that he's got a canon).

Wow! What happened here?

Last time I read this thread he was committed to WKU...

Decided he wanted to play for championships. I think he let himself get too carried away by his visit. Once he had the a little time to reevaluate he realized he couldn't pass on his shot at the bigtime.

The stats look good but the receivers were great. There were several passes low and a little behind them and the receivers did a great job! (btw, that is what they are supposed to do, just incase anyone forgot :) ) That could be due to good chemestry or confidence in themselves and their QB or many other reasons. Like Pelini said, winners have that confidence and bring that attitude.... something like that. I'm very excited to see Brion sign with NU. GBR!!!!!!

This kid is legit. He will be a great player in the future. The only reason he I know everyone says ranking do not matter but this kid is the real deal. He was ranked 44 and his star receiver Ace Sanders was ranked 42.(Signed with South Carolina) Looking at this kids film I can say I didn't see talent like that in the 20 or so H.S. games I watched around Omaha this year. That kind of fluidity, quickness and skill to be ranked 40th. They are saying there are 40 kids ahead of these two in the state of Florida. Wrong or right must be nice.

Brion can you do us and yourself a favour and talk to number 1 and 11 about becoming Huskers koolaid2.gifkoolaid2.gif

#1 is Ace Sanders, already signed with South Carolina for this year (was a USF commit with Brion).

#11 is junior Quenton Brundrage- hoping we are already on him

http://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Quenton-Brundrage-103398

They also have

JR RB, Mike Blakely (2011), here's a vid (including some Carnes option footage) http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4662988

JR DT, Quinton Pompey (2011), 6'3" 255 lb DT as a sophomore, one to watch

SO DB, Clinton Heaven (2012), looks like a great prospect in a couple of years

There's a couple of other Manatee kids that will get looks, it's a great school to get a foot in the door.

Our last 2 4* QB's have also had really good WR's on their high school teams that went somewhere else (Green had A.J. Dugat who we recruited and wanted badly).