OL Mike Shoff

HuskerEric

If we're gona hand out scholorships to guys that don't deserve them, I'd take the versatility of Shoff over a guy like Jake Cotton any day.

Yeah, this guy deserves a scholarship more than the other guy who is a position of need and happens to be the son of the coach everyone hates because "he is more versatile." :facepalm:

I can't believe people are unhappy about giving Sam Cotton a scholarship. Both of his older bros were lightly recruited kids that have turned into frickin gems. You think some of you would learn from past experiences.

Seriously, wake up.

Here's breakdown of their stars for those who think it's the only thing that means anything:

Ben Cotton - 3 stars - turned into the best TE on the team BY FAR

Jake Cotton - 2 stars - on the 2 deep as a redshirt freshman, almost stole the starting job 3 times throughout the season.

Sam Cotton - 3 stars - been said to be the best athlete of the bunch

NO, DON'T OFFER HIM. I hate producers too.

• Fire 1

I can't believe people are unhappy about giving Sam Cotton a scholarship. Both of his older bros were lightly recruited kids that have turned into frickin gems. You think some of you would learn from past experiences.

Seriously, wake up.

Here's breakdown of their stars for those who think it's the only thing that means anything:

Jake Cotton - 2 stars - on the 2 deep as a redshirt freshman, almost stole the starting job 3 times throughout the season.

If Jake makes a full recovery, he will be a really good player. EVERYONE from Coaches to press to insiders were talking him up in Fall Camp. Almost took the starting Guard job as a RFr. I don't get the Cotton hate either. Give Sam a few years first then let's talk.

• Fire 1

I can't believe people are unhappy giving Cotton a scholarship. Both of his older bros were lightly recruited kids that have turned into frickin gems. Best TE on the team and a young offensive guard that almost stole the starting spot away multiple times. You think some of you would learn from past experiences.

I bet if they had any other name besides Cotton, they would definitely be in a more positive light.

I can't believe people are unhappy giving Cotton a scholarship. Both of his older bros were lightly recruited kids that have turned into frickin gems. Best TE on the team and a young offensive guard that almost stole the starting spot away multiple times. You think some of you would learn from past experiences.

I bet if they had any other name besides Cotton, they would definitely be in a more positive light.

I agree, the Cotton scholarship offers were not popular from the beginning, but it does seem that they have worked out fine.... Jake seems to be a rising star on the OLine, and Ben Cotton is our best TE right now.... I thought it was noticable when he missed the last couple games. Ben is a great blocker, and makes a lot of timely catches for us.... I have no problem with the youngest Cotton getting an offer, it seems like I read on here that the youngest is the best athlete of them all. Anyone else remember that?

• Fire 1

Seriously, wake up.

They certainly look to be panning out.

Seriously, wake up.

They certainly look to be panning out.

It seems like certain folks try to "set things up" so "if and when" a Cotton son is not affective or productive that then the "card" can be paid. For the issues the some (perhaps "many") might have with Coach Cotton ... I find the darts at the sons to be rather dull and having no flight. We shall see after all three sons pass thru the program and we can look back.

• Fire 2

Rivals originally reported him running a 5.07 40 back when he was a Sophomore. Now they're saying he runs a 4.8 40. Not sure how accurate that is, but the kid is plenty fast for his size by all accounts I've read outside of recruiting scuttlebutt. He could be the next Jared Crick if they opt to use him on defense seeing how similar they are physique-wise. If the coaches want him on offense, then he'd be useful as a pulling Guard with his speed. I just feel his athleticism allows the staff to be versatile with him for development's sake.

Last but not least, if Pelini wants to maintain that 3.0 team GPA, then adding Shoff can only help since his Scout bio has him reporting a 3.9 GPA.

Prior to his injury I would buy his speed. He ran the 100m un track.

Seriously, wake up.

You can keep drinking the Cotton kool-aid all you want, but if you think Ben & Jake are "frickin gems" than nobody should wonder why we keep slipping farther away from national relevance. I don't see the elite teams in this country wasting schollies on kids nobody else wants or even recruits.

Seriously, wake up.

You can keep drinking the Cotton kool-aid all you want, but if you think Ben & Jake are "frickin gems" than nobody should wonder why we keep slipping farther away from national relevance. I don't see the elite teams in this country wasting schollies on kids nobody else wants or even recruits.

It's been said before that many schools didn't recruit any of them because it was a given that they would end up here regardless. Not saying that is fact but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Seriously, wake up.

It's been said before that many schools didn't recruit any of them because it was a given that they would end up here regardless. Not saying that is fact but it makes a lot of sense to me.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out either........just the slightest bit of objectivity.

I wouldn't mind seeing Shoff get a shot. I watched him play in person this year and really wasn't terribly impressed but he is a stud wrestler (I think his first three matches at state last year lasted a COMBINED 1:45 or something like that) which is usually a good sign and apparently can run track as well. If we end up with a few more scholarships than expected, he could be worth a flier.\

Edit: I didn't give him enough credit. His first three matches at state last year lasted 10 seconds, 28 seconds, and 13 seconds. He slacked off in the finals and only pinned the guy in 3:28.

Edited by Mavric

I understand the kid needs time to develop and take to the coaching. With his natural athletic ability though, he's already conquered half the battle. I'd imagine if he were to receive a Nebraska offer, he'd work his tail off just to prove that he was worthy of it.

• Fire 1

Seriously, wake up.

Ok, HuskerT. Since you said no elite teams "waste schollies" on kids you deem as nobodies, care to explain the following:

LSU

2star OL commit (Jake equivelant)

5.5 rating 3star WR (Sam equivelant)

Two out of the three Cottons just in one class 2012 class. It took Nebraska two years to do what LSU did in one.

You could save the rest of us a lot of trouble and start your own recruiting service.