The Official "What Are You Playing Now?" Thread

I've been in Ohio the past week meeting up with the actual people behind the gamer tags of people who I've played with on XBL over the past 6 years. Been a really fun week, and I've been introduced to more games (mostly board & card games) than I had ever played before. But we did play a few video games, namely Towerfall: Ascension, which is a really great game and Mario Kart 8, which is phenomenal. Will probably be on Steam to game more than my XBone until all the games launch in the fall.

• Fire 2

I've been in Ohio the past week meeting up with the actual people behind the gamer tags of people who I've played with on XBL over the past 6 years. Been a really fun week, and I've been introduced to more games (mostly board & card games) than I had ever played before. But we did play a few video games, namely Towerfall: Ascension, which is a really great game and Mario Kart 8, which is phenomenal. Will probably be on Steam to game more than my XBone until all the games launch in the fall.

Hope one of those card games was Cards Against Humanity? :)

Glad to hear you had a good time playing IRL. Mario Kart always did have a certain knack for being a fun in-person group event.

nice! what sparked this gamer gathering?

Long story:

I'm 22 years old--don't believe what PaulCrewe tells you about my age--and have been on XBL for about 6 years. The first year I spent playing online with my high school friends. However, one of my friends (let's call him Phil), because of his involvement in Drum Corps International (dci) met up with a director in Texas who was a gamer as well. That director knew a couple who lived in Ohio that gamed. The Ohio couple knew a group of gamers in New York. While I was still playing with my high school friends, one of the people from New York visited the Ohio couple. This was 7 years ago. I was introduced to all of these people: the guy from Texas, the Ohio couple, and the New York group, through my friend Phil.

For the last 5 years, I've gamed with this group. One week every summer since, the group from New York met up with the Ohio couple for some RL gaming, both board games and video games. I finally got to join the party this year, and it was an absolute blast.

We are a diverse group, and it's been fascinating watching where life has taken all of us. For instance, one of our group, Ray (i.e. BrownMan on XBL) works for Achievement Hunter at RoosterTeeth. It was surreal getting to hang out with him for the past week.

Glad to hear you had a good time playing IRL. Mario Kart always did have a certain knack for being a fun in-person group event.

Of course. There were some good ones in that game.

Marvel Heroes 2015 is a pretty great ARPG. It's free to download and play. If you tried it on release and hated it, you should give it another try.

Agreed, it has turned into a good game. Definitely worth a try if you like action RPG's, Marvel, or both.

I guess I got spoiled by CoH...

Only if you played it as "Kario Mart" haha. Our rules were that you had to finish a full beer before the race was over. Kicker is that you can't "drink and drive". Have to come to a complete stop, and put down the controller before you drink.

My most desired strategy was to chug at the beginning and race to catch up. Lightning bolts galore that way, doesn't take long to catch up. :D

Only if you played it as "Kario Mart" haha. Our rules were that you had to finish a full beer before the race was over. Kicker is that you can't "drink and drive". Have to come to a complete stop, and put down the controller before you drink.

My most desired strategy was to chug at the beginning and race to catch up. Lightning bolts galore that way, doesn't take long to catch up. :D

Yeah that sounds like fun! We did drinking games with Mario Kart 64 back in the day with its battle mode on Abel 4--in particular, lose a balloon, take a shot. All battle mode losers take another shot.

May have to do something similar when my BFAM comes down for Thanksgiving...

• 3 weeks later...