QB Race

1) Every demotion is a slap in the face. There's no way around it. But sometimes it has to be done.

2) Zac Lee delivered the ball pretty well last year (and far better than Eric Crouch or Scott Frost ever did). Zac Lee's problems were decision-making problems. They have nothing to do with injuries.

3) Zac Lee would definitely do better with an improved offensive line and more seasoned receivers and backs. He will no doubt have the chance.

4) Promoting an untested frosh phenom over last year's starting qb (as well as last year's frosh phenom) is the kind of thing bored and exitable message board denizens want to do. So if a guy like Bo Pelini, a coach who hates the circus and bears the program's entire reputation on his shoulders is willing to do it, he must be seeing some amazing sh#t during practice.

Lee isn't getting "slapped in the face". He's getting BEAT by better qb play by Green & Tmart (who are also far, far better athletes)this Fall camp.

But go ahead, keep dreaming up your excuses.....

Why don't you learn to read. Read the whole thread, then comment. Don't reply till you do that. Then your post would be a lot more educated than this.

The part about Lee getting slapped in the face has come from him not getting a chance to play fully healthy and prove what he can do in a game without Bo pulling the reins back. He played hurt all of last year and laid it all on the line for us, I do believe that he should be given an opportunity.

But why don't you read back through the thread. It may get you back up to speed.

I read the whole thread, nimrod, and I commented appropriately about just that.

Just because Lee played last year, Healthy or not healthy, does NOT mean he should get the starter job on a platter this year. Sorry EZ-E, your boy has to EARN it like everyone else.

Lee isn't getting "slapped in the face". He's getting BEAT by better qb play by Green & Tmart (who are also far, far better athletes)this Fall camp.

But go ahead, keep dreaming up your excuses.....

Why don't you learn to read. Read the whole thread, then comment. Don't reply till you do that. Then your post would be a lot more educated than this.

The part about Lee getting slapped in the face has come from him not getting a chance to play fully healthy and prove what he can do in a game without Bo pulling the reins back. He played hurt all of last year and laid it all on the line for us, I do believe that he should be given an opportunity.

But why don't you read back through the thread. It may get you back up to speed.

I read the whole thread, nimrod, and I commented appropriately about just that.

Just because Lee played last year, Healthy or not healthy, does NOT mean he should get the starter job on a platter this year. Sorry EZ-E, your boy has to EARN it like everyone else.

:facepalm:

You say "He isnt getting slapped in the face." That is someone's personal opinion from all of the knowledge that we have of the situation. Feel free to have your own, but understand where they are coming from.

You also say that "He is getting beat by better QB play, etc." First, you don't know that. We simply know that TMart will start the game. I wouldn't go as far to say that TMart will be our starter next week or the week after at all.

Regarding you second post:

Never once did I say that Zac should be given the starting job without having to work for it. He has done everything that the coaches have asked of him from the first day he walked onto campus. He had a good fall camp, so did CG and TM.

Find throughout this entire board where I say that Lee should just be given his spot.

I can find plenty of posts from others attacking Zac Lee on a personal level.

I cant wait to see some of that T-Magic!

:sarcasm

I heard they are flying in Cris Angel!!! :sarcasm

The stuff the D is saying is amazing. For one of this years best units to be singing hid praises is enough to get Husker nation if full meltdown mode.

Is it game time yet???

Bo and staff continue to impress. Randed no. 8 and bringing a FS to start. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard they are flying in Cris Angel!!! :sarcasm

The stuff the D is saying is amazing. For one of this years best units to be singing his praises is enough to get Husker nation if full meltdown mode.

Is it game time yet???

Bo and staff continue to impress. Randed no. 8 and bringing a FS to start. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:sarcasm

The stuff the D is saying is amazing. For one of this years best units to be singing hid praises is enough to get Husker nation if full meltdown mode.

With the number TMart has done on them we have one of two things:

An utterly amazing freshmen QB, or a well overrated defense.

I hope it is the first.

Herc, I don't claim to know more than the coaches. It's just what we've all heard. Coaches haven't come out and said Lee is struggling this camp; rather the opposite I think. You are assuming here that Lee is not starting because he is struggling and the coaches are seeing this.

I have to say that's a reasonable assumption. But I put forth why there may be reasons to doubt it. You're right. It's not my knowledge, and the coaches sure know a hell of a lot more about football than I do. Further, the practice reports could all be erroneous.

I don't care what guys with any kind of ties close to the program have said here, nobody knows anything. If people were coming on here with that kind of information, why didn't they just leak every little detail about the QB race? Why are we still not really 100% sure who's starting? Furthermore, nobody really knows what the "doghouse" is. Philip Dillard was in the doghouse, and when he earned his way out of it, he was a better player for it.

I think you could be a little off the mark here with 'nobody knows anything.' Well, I don't. But it doesn't mean that there aren't people who might. Heck if I know how they know, or if they know. It's a judgment call here. And knowing some details, does not mean knowing every little detail about the QB race - and knowing every detail, does not mean an obligation to share it (indeed, it'd be inappropriate to, probably).

As far as knowing 100% for sure who's starting, I think for a day or two it has been pretty certain. Not even based on "insider" claims, because every single sign is pointing in this direction. It'd be a shocker if it weren't.

Not to go down the Philip Dillard road again, but Willie did say if you didn't see in another thread, that Dillard did everything he could to earn his way out, but was kept in until our redshirt freshman linebackers (Comp and Fisher) struggled mightily. Absolutely, he was a better player for it; but he was also overweight before being in the doghouse, something he had to fix. Zac's been a tough kid for us, so if he's in the doghouse because Bo doesn't think he's tough...well, I don't know. Maybe that's too big an if to talk about.

If you trust the coaching staff that's in place, this whole debate is pretty useless. The only reason this debate is interesting is if you don't trust the coaches to run the program the right way, and to make the right call.

The implication here is that as fans, we should.

I do by and large, but I don't like that implication necessarily. There are some things you decide over time to be critical of coaching staffs over. For example, trusting Callahan to come back from a halftime deficit. Is trusting the current staff to not hold silly grudges going to be added to that list? Well, I wouldn't say that yet, but I would say that it's not unfair to question it.

But we are on the eve of the season, and I just want to root for the Huskers. So I guess we can put this discussion off for until we start doing less well - since until then, I doubt I'd care too much personally about anything else. Basically, it is what it is, and let's just enjoy the game tonight. :thumbs

I at no point suggested that Lee had a bad camp, or anything of the sort. NONE of us knows what kind of camp any of the QB's have had, because essentially every practice report has only praised the intensity of the competition at the QB position, and stated that each player has gotten better.

What I am assuming is that the coaches are fair. But really, I'm not even assuming that as much as I am just completely rejecting the message board hearsay where people try to validate their own views on the matter by starting rumors that the coaches have sinister intentions, that they're not fair, that they play favorites within their team. I'm offended by that because I'm a teacher myself, and idiotic parents make the same dubious claims against teachers when they don't know what they're talking about. I'm offended by that because there's been NO real evidence of that occurring within the Nebraska football program.

My problem is that you're not questioning Bo Pelini's decision-making, or his football knowledge. You're questioning and criticizing something you know nothing about - his motives.

sticking with being positive i think whoever starts will look pretty good considering our opponent.. if its not ZL i worry the second coming lable will be placed.. especially if its 't-magic' (who i also worry will try to do too much) on the QB which in turn tells the galaxy to set that person up for an epic fail/fall.. what ever happens bad or good lets not get too caught up.......

TOTALLY agree Irie. I am not going to get too high or too low depending on what I see tonight. As a Husker living in DSM I am watching Iowa paste and overmatched Illinois HS team while I prime for our game tonight. hawkeye faithful will annoint themsleves MNC's and have not one, but two Heisman candidates by 3 PM this afternoon. I kid you not. Noone wants to be that guy....

What I am assuming is that the coaches are fair. But really, I'm not even assuming that as much as I am just completely rejecting the message board hearsay where people try to validate their own views on the matter by starting rumors that the coaches have sinister intentions, that they're not fair, that they play favorites within their team. I'm offended by that because I'm a teacher myself, and idiotic parents make the same dubious claims against teachers when they don't know what they're talking about. I'm offended by that because there's been NO real evidence of that occurring within the Nebraska football program.

My problem is that you're not questioning Bo Pelini's decision-making, or his football knowledge. You're questioning and criticizing something you know nothing about - his motives.

I do understand where you are coming from. All I am doing is raising the possibility that the rosy image I have always had about Bo Pelini, might not be as rosy as it seems. NO coach fits into that ideal image; whether we are talking about the SEC coaches who oversign, or the low-down recruiting tactics of Kiffin, etc. I have a lot of respect for Bo Pelini regardless, but am simply suggesting that he may not be an angel. *may* being the key word here. Apologies if that offends you; but when I see a player getting a raw deal like this, that's the result. Of course, I *may* be wrong on all of that; hence /may/ being the key word. There are two sides to every story, after all.

Here's hoping Martinez leads us to some good wins this season, eh?

Im fully educated on Zac Lees situation, thank you very much. I saw what a fully healthy Zac Lee was capable of in the first half of the season last year and that is not the qb I want on the field. I didn't want it last year and I don't want it now. Don't try to tell me that he racked up all kinds of yards and we smoked those cream puffs either. He was making all kinds of terrible throws then and it carried over the rest of the year, injury or no injury. We started playing against real defenses and our offense tanked. No Lee For Me. Zac Lee had his chance and now it is time to move on. If the coaches can't see that (Watson) I will be very disappointed.

Im glad the coaches saw things the same way I did. Martinez is our man this year so here is me saying I told you so to all you Lee lovers who were so adamant about bashing me on my stance. The fact is that Zac Lee is not a very good qb. I dont care how well he knows the offense............

T-Mart just scored again while Im typing this......... :clap ..........

Lee missed all of spring ball and was behind the 8-ball. He now has been beat out by a much faster, more athletic, younger guy who also has a stronger arm. Martinez will have moments when he will make freshman mistakes in the passing game but he will more than make up for it in the run game. Really really impressed with this kid and am so glad that we will hopefully be able to watch him start for the next 4 years. Think about the possibilities of that.....WOW.

He missed all of spring ball and was behind the 8-ball. He now has been beat out by a much faster, more athletic, younger guy who also has a stronger arm.

Flat wrong.

I feel like we can celebrate Martinez's debut without having to put down a guy like Zac that gave his all for us last year.

But to each his own.