QB Race

Zac Lee just doesn't cut it as a collegiate level QB. He can't pass and his run game is even worse. Now that we have someone that can run/scramble/escape from the pocket (T-Mobil), expect NU to win the big games. (Texas, Big 12 Championship against Oklahoma, MNC, etc.)

I gave up on Lee because he would interceptions after the d gave him a pick. I believe he did this twice against Texas. When the defense gives you a gift, a pick in the other teams territory, you need to take advantage. To throw a pick on the next play, I believe this deflates the D and makes the D work to hard to keep the other team from scoring.

I was hoping Cody would be able to take over and was happy when he got his first start.

If you look at our recent recruits at QB, Taylor fits this to a T. No pun intend. Mobile QB's that put extreme pressure on the D.

So the ship has sailed on last years QB's.

I think Cody played like a player that had been in the system a year now. He looked more poised. He looked like he was looking over the field and not just drop back, look once and take off running. It's probably true that more of the playbook is open to him than Martinez and that makes sense. I think Martinez bring unreal spead to the position but I'm not sold on him being the starter for the rest of the year based on one game. I think we'll see both of them against Idaho and probably more Lee too. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I think Cody played like a player that had been in the system a year now. He looked more poised. He looked like he was looking over the field and not just drop back, look once and take off running. It's probably true that more of the playbook is open to him than Martinez and that makes sense. I think Martinez bring unreal spead to the position but I'm not sold on him being the starter for the rest of the year based on one game. I think we'll see both of them against Idaho and probably more Lee too. Should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Agreed. Gotta love the performance from T-Mart. But Bo said a couple of weeks ago that the QB race might carry into the season. I think he’s giving all three QBs reps to let them show what they’ve got. In fact we were rotating guys in and out of a bunch of positions throughout the game. That’s what you want to do in these warm up games.

Holy thread merge, batman....

Regarding the reality shopping comment, I'll lay out how I see it. Two possibilities:

1) Lee is really just a poor QB who had a lousy camp. In this case, it didn't take very much for Martinez to surpass him, as well as Green, since it's clear that both did.

2) Lee is the good, senior leader, consistent QB who improved on what we saw in the Holiday Bowl. Martinez is just that superstar that surpassed him. Green is another superstar who surpassed him. Martinez is ahead of Green.

3) Martinez beat out Green; Lee was not part of the conversation for whatever reason: he doesn't fit the style we run; coaches don't want to build the team around him; etc; etc.

I am going with 3 on the basis that we've heard Lee did not have a lousy camp at all. You can call this hearsay, but at the same time we rely on this kind of hearsay all the time to hear about who has a good camp or not. For example, you could say reports about that one killer scrimmage Martinez has was also hearsay, as well as reports about ones where he threw a ton of interceptions. Also in the same category I'd say, would be reports that Thenarse was making waves towards the end of camp (he got the start over PJ and West), that Cotton was really showing stuff at TE, etc, etc.

The reports on Zac Lee would have to be completely off base for 1 to be the case. That leads me to 3, but it does not necessarily mean that Zac was screwed out a job. There are legit reasons why Zac, despite having a lot of talent, could find himself third. The style of offense could be one he's not suited to run. He could be not getting along well with his teammates and not being the leader he needs to be. Or he could be viewed as soft by his coaches. Now we are getting more into "believe what you want to believe" territory.

By the way, none of these scenarios said anything about the relative separation of Martinez and Green, except that Martinez was ahead of Green. By how much? It seems we expect there to be competition over the next few games still, at least, between these two. And you know what they say about "when you have 2 quarterbacks"...

I suppose the bottom line I'm getting at is, all three guys we have are probably average. There's no savior among them. We have "depth", I suppose, compared to last year, but we don't have 2 or 3 star players at QB...just 3 average guys. 2 of them are going to be young guys that will make young player mistakes. So let's at least temper our expectations here.

Personally I thought people (Shatel comes to mind) made too big a deal about how good he (CODY GREEN) played. He only threw 6 passes and I don't remember one of those being to a wide receiver who wasn't wide open. The touchdown was nice (Paul left the defender well behind there as well) but 6 passes versus Western Kentucky does not a quarterback make.

If you would watch the post game interviews, Watson gave Martinez a watered down play book with a high number of high completion plays. The coaches planned for Cody's series in the 1st half to stretch the field more with the deep ball ( which is what you saw ). Depending on who you are, you may take this to mean that the coaches aren't at the point of taking all the training wheels off Martinez in terms of throwing the deep ball and picking apart defenses with his arm, but they are at that point with Cody.

My only concern is how effective Martinez will still be if defenses stack the box against him and shut down our running game. I don't see us winning too many games from behind with his arm alone. dunno.gif

Ya, I was talking about Cody Green not Martinez. My post was originally posted in the thread titled 'Cody Green' but that thread ended up being merged into this one.

Holy thread merge, batman....

Regarding the reality shopping comment, I'll lay out how I see it. Two possibilities:

1) Lee is really just a poor QB who had a lousy camp. In this case, it didn't take very much for Martinez to surpass him, as well as Green, since it's clear that both did.

2) Lee is the good, senior leader, consistent QB who improved on what we saw in the Holiday Bowl. Martinez is just that superstar that surpassed him. Green is another superstar who surpassed him. Martinez is ahead of Green.

3) Martinez beat out Green; Lee was not part of the conversation for whatever reason: he doesn't fit the style we run; coaches don't want to build the team around him; etc; etc.

I am going with 3 on the basis that we've heard Lee did not have a lousy camp at all. You can call this hearsay, but at the same time we rely on this kind of hearsay all the time to hear about who has a good camp or not. For example, you could say reports about that one killer scrimmage Martinez has was also hearsay, as well as reports about ones where he threw a ton of interceptions. Also in the same category I'd say, would be reports that Thenarse was making waves towards the end of camp (he got the start over PJ and West), that Cotton was really showing stuff at TE, etc, etc.

The reports on Zac Lee would have to be completely off base for 1 to be the case. That leads me to 3, but it does not necessarily mean that Zac was screwed out a job. There are legit reasons why Zac, despite having a lot of talent, could find himself third. The style of offense could be one he's not suited to run. He could be not getting along well with his teammates and not being the leader he needs to be. Or he could be viewed as soft by his coaches. Now we are getting more into "believe what you want to believe" territory.

By the way, none of these scenarios said anything about the relative separation of Martinez and Green, except that Martinez was ahead of Green. By how much? It seems we expect there to be competition over the next few games still, at least, between these two. And you know what they say about "when you have 2 quarterbacks"...

I suppose the bottom line I'm getting at is, all three guys we have are probably average. There's no savior among them. We have "depth", I suppose, compared to last year, but we don't have 2 or 3 star players at QB...just 3 average guys. 2 of them are going to be young guys that will make young player mistakes. So let's at least temper our expectations here.

I like how you laid out 3 possibilities, and then just completely ignored one of them. "The reports on Zac Lee would have to be completely off base for '1' to be the case. That leads me to '3.'" WTF happened to #2?

What we've heard all camp is that all 3 QB's improved, but Martinez passed the others up. This would basically be your #2 possibility, which, for whatever reason, you simply chose to ignore (i.e. reality shopping).