Stadium Expansion

The traffic circle will actually increase traffic flow and make things better for all. People will get used to it and all will be fine.

What on earth... WHY??????

edit: From article: "Currently, cars are often backed up along 14th Street north of the Superior intersection for a half-mile or more during the morning rush hour, according to Figard."

Couldn't you just change the traffic light timing and save a few million dollars? Whatever, I'm not a civil engineer.

I had the exact same reaction. 14th & Superior gets so much out-of-town traffic from 6 county and 16 county that already doesn't know how to drive. I cannot imagine the carnage this roundabout will produce, and if there's no carnage it'll be because traffic has slowed to an absolute crawl, making the backup problems that much worse.

The day that roundabout opens Im gonna down there and sit on the corner and watch the rearend collisons and side swipes. Laughing the whole time.

Good pix's Knapp.

The traffic circle will actually increase traffic flow and make things better for all. People will get used to it and all will be fine.

You grossly underestimate the ability of out-state drivers to bung up traffic. These are people for whom four-way stops and T-intersections are a nearly insurmountable challenge. A roundabout will throw many of them into outright conniptions.

@talarico - I have a few recent pics I'll try to get up today or tomorrow. I'm trying to find time to work on a project and it's been difficult to find moments here and there.

They have paved most of the ground east of the stadium now.

No prob buddy just wanted to see how it looks out there i am really intersted in this kind of stuff so. keep up the good work man

You grossly underestimate the ability of out-state drivers to bung up traffic. These are people for whom four-way stops and T-intersections are a nearly insurmountable challenge. A roundabout will throw many of them into outright conniptions.

I agree. I mean, I drive the thing every day and I think I'm not a bad driver (though, I bet most terrible drivers think they are awesome) and every time I go on that loop I *almost* make the wrong turn, but don't. Luckily I can walk to the stadium on game days. Might be fun to walk by the roundabout and watch though :)

This also reminds me of my grandparents having to do a roundabout for the first time. For the first year or so it was up they drove on county roads to avoid it because it scared them.

I agree. I mean, I drive the thing every day and I think I'm not a bad driver (though, I bet most terrible drivers think they are awesome) and every time I go on that loop I *almost* make the wrong turn, but don't. Luckily I can walk to the stadium on game days. Might be fun to walk by the roundabout and watch though :)

This also reminds me of my grandparents having to do a roundabout for the first time. For the first year or so it was up they drove on county roads to avoid it because it scared them.

A week ago early one morning I walked through those roundabouts for a photo guide I'm planning (if I find time).

While I was doing that, a matter of 20 minutes, two different cars went the wrong way on the roundabouts. Two. In 20 minutes.

Just wait until game day and Joe 54-County shows up to "the big city" for the first time since last football season and see the carnage he'll wreak on these things.

A week ago early one morning I walked through those roundabouts for a photo guide I'm planning (if I find time).

While I was doing that, a matter of 20 minutes, two different cars went the wrong way on the roundabouts. Two. In 20 minutes.

Just wait until game day and Joe 54-County shows up to "the big city" for the first time since last football season and see the carnage he'll wreak on these things.

I suppose you will have to stand at the roundabout and hold up the "RIGHT TURN ONLY" sign. Geesh people will figure it out once they see it once. Really it will work out fine. Traffic will flow better then in the past.

I suppose you will have to stand at the roundabout and hold up the "RIGHT TURN ONLY" sign. Geesh people will figure it out once they see it once. Really it will work out fine. Traffic will flow better then in the past.

I think you're missing something important, and I've decided you sound defensive, so you must be the engineer who designed it.

Some of these people come to Lincoln once or twice a year. By the time they've figured it out it will be December. Then they'll forget which turn to make by the time September 2012 comes around. I'm sure 80-90% of the people will traverse it fine but it's just a fact that roundabouts confuse people, especially people who've never been on one.

• Fire 1

Holy crap, those roundabouts are ridiculous! I would consider myself a pretty good and observant driver but man was that confusing. We were on our way downtown last night and had some time to spare waiting for friends so I thought I'd try it, and man did I get lost. And I promise I was stone cold sober. I don't think the fact that it was dark out helped much, but I don't think being able to make a left turn before you enter the roundabout helps much either. I can see at LEAST one accident a game there.

*Edit*

Here's the city's site on their roundabouts

http://lincoln.ne.gov/city/pworks/engine/roundabout/

Guess it doesn't look quite as confusing from above...

Yeah, they have one in Winnebago that I always travel on when I go home and go back to college in Lincoln. When I first saw it, I thought it was the stupidest thing ever and there would be a ton of accidents. I haven't seen any or been involoved in any accidents there, but it doesn't hurt that there aren't that many cars traveling on it at one time like the one's in Lincoln.