Stadium Expansion

I gotta say, I think you guys did a terrific job with the new bball arena. I think that is gonna be one of the nicest college basketball arenas around, I really do. I think the outside architecture is phenomenal and its nice to see all that development around it.

• Fire 3

Some pics from this AM:

Some people had been asking about a pic from east of campus along Vine. Here's the best shot I got, from around 20th & Vine.

Ko1HHGQ.jpg

The lettering going up on the Arena.

v0pGRIk.jpg

The N on the Arena, which has caused so much angst here from all the Lincoln residents who don't like UNL.

qtViysq.jpg

• Fire 2

Most of the people that live in Lincoln and hate the U hate it because it hassles them a few times a year when it comes Otto drives, parking and things like that.

I can understands that, I really can, but at the same time, what do you expect, football l Saturday will mean 125k people partying in Lincoln.

Actually I think it has more to do with the way the University throws it's weight around. i.e. buying up land, forcing people off their property, taking over the fair grounds, etc. Which I can understand, but the whole N thing is stupid. If it weren't for TO I think there is a pretty good chance we'd still be trying to get that thing built, not to mention Husker athletics is probably going to be it's main tenant.

To the previous three posts..

That's a bigtime college town. It is what it is right? I guess them people need to go somewhere else? Having the University in Lincoln has done more for that city over the years I guess I just dont understand how anyone could draw negatives whatsoever.

If there's one thing I've learned as a student in high school and now as a teacher, it's that a large amount of Lincoln citizens are pretty short on common sense. There is no reason that the State Fair and every state athletic tournament isn't in Lincoln. But they've either bitched about the "inconvenience" that holding these events in Lincoln causes and made them move elsewhere, or they don't fight hard enough to keep these events because they aren't appreciated.

I remember going to State FFA Convention in high school (If you don't know anything about this group, they are generally the more polite and courteous adolescents that you can find, with exceptions just like any group) and reading the whining and crying that followed on the internet and letters to the Journal Star. It just seems stupid to me, considering that 1) 90%+ of the students that attend are very well behaved, and 2) these groups bring a ton of money to the city between hotel, food, and entertainment expenses. I don't get it, honestly.

• Fire 1

Take away UNL and Lincoln not only stops thriving but it doesn't survive as we know it. There are too many people who want to complain about the University but live here precisely because they love all of the benefits that come both directly and indirectly from the University. Those people can complain but I don't see them moving to Grand Island (and I can knock it because I grew up there).

Some pics from this AM:

Some people had been asking about a pic from east of campus along Vine. Here's the best shot I got, from around 20th & Vine.

Ko1HHGQ.jpg

The lettering going up on the Arena.

v0pGRIk.jpg

The N on the Arena, which has caused so much angst here from all the Lincoln residents who don't like UNL.

qtViysq.jpg

I don't even recognize that campus. They sure have changed things since 2003

Take away UNL and Lincoln not only stops thriving but it doesn't survive as we know it. There are too many people who want to complain about the University but live here precisely because they love all of the benefits that come both directly and indirectly from the University. Those people can complain but I don't see them moving to Grand Island (and I can knock it because I grew up there).

to add on, the university is the largest employer in lincoln before you add in all the subcontractors they employ for various projects. and they always have something going on.

as for the complainers moving to GI, dear lord who would want to do that? :P (i can knock GI cause i grew up in hastings)

to add on, the university is the largest employer in lincoln before you add in all the subcontractors they employ for various projects. and they always have something going on.

as for the complainers moving to GI, dear lord who would want to do that? :P (i can knock GI cause i grew up in hastings)

:clap

I'm from Hastings too. I go to GI only about once every 6 months, simply to get my new boots at Willis. You cross the tracks on Walnut to there, and it's like crossing over to a third world country. What a shithole.

• Fire 1