Stadium Expansion

I don't know how you could do anything different to South Stadium without totally tearing it out and starting over. And I don't know what you'd do with the fans who have seats there during the year (at least) while you were doing that.

We are currently the 12th highest capacity of any college stadium and, judging by the asking price for the new seats, we may be reaching the top end of season ticket sales. I doubt anything more will happen for the foreseeable future.

+1

All speculation aside, when I mentioned what the associate AD said about the sound system earlier in this thread, in that same conversation he came right out and said that we were all but maxed out for the forseeable future. Unless something drastic were to happen that would greatly increase the ticket demand, Memorial Stadium would not be going through any significant expansions anytime soon. He also discussed that that learning center (I can't remember what it's called) that's under the south stadium is also a reason of which any sort of work to the south stadium is just not feesable anytime soon.

This is just what I recall from that Sports Nightly interview.

All speculation aside, when I mentioned what the associate AD said about the sound system earlier in this thread, in that same conversation he came right out and said that we were all but maxed out for the forseeable future. Unless something drastic were to happen that would greatly increase the ticket demand, Memorial Stadium would not be going through any significant expansions anytime soon. He also discussed that that learning center (I can't remember what it's called) that's under the south stadium is also a reason of which any sort of work to the south stadium is just not feesable anytime soon.

And that's just fine. If we were to add any more than about 2-3,000 more seats the donation levels would crash and that would be the first step towards the sellout streak ending.

Memorial is just fine as she is. Do I wish they would have built both endzones different? Absolutely. Does it seem like a bit of a patch job at times? Sure does. Is it still one of the very best stadiums in the country? You bet your ass.

Wouldn't mind seeing them increase the North video board size a little though :)

And that's just fine. If we were to add any more than about 2-3,000 more seats the donation levels would crash and that would be the first step towards the sellout streak ending.

Memorial is just fine as she is. Do I wish they would have built both endzones different? Absolutely. Does it seem like a bit of a patch job at times? Sure does. Is it still one of the very best stadiums in the country? You bet your ass.

Wouldn't mind seeing them increase the North video board size a little though :)

Unfortunately, that's what happens when there are additions/expansions done to a stadium that is now 90 years old. I know you aren't complaining about things, and neither am I. With the East Stadium expansion, there is a nice symmetry that the stadium has. I love the stadium being on campus, and it's amazing to see how the stadium has changed since I was at UNL nearly 20 years ago. When I was a frosh in 1994, the HuskerVision video boards were added that year. We thought that was amazing. The university has done a good job of updating the stadium since then. Yes, it is sometimes "lipstick on a pig", but it's our pig.

Until I read this new book that just came out, I didnt realize that the North Stadium renovation was actually Boyd Epley's baby and had been in the works since the late 80's. It wasnt until Pedersen came in that they got the budget cut and the proper funding to finally go through with it. He (Epley) wasnt shy either in saying that the new North Stadium was truely the only good thing that came out of the Pedersen era.

Until I read this new book that just came out, I didnt realize that the North Stadium renovation was actually Boyd Epley's baby and had been in the works since the late 80's. It wasnt until Pedersen came in that they got the budget cut and the proper funding to finally go through with it. He (Epley) wasnt shy either in saying that the new North Stadium was truely the only good thing that came out of the Pedersen era.

When Bill Byrne became AD, his goal was to improve all the non-football sports. He wanted to NU to win the Sears Cup (that's what it was called back then) for the best school with the all-around athletics program. He pumped money into other sports and added teams to NU. When Pedeyshine became AD, he said the football program had been neglected, and started pumping money back into football. It was the one good thing he did at NU.

I have seen so many people on this board mention upper decks in the end-zones. If you look at the picture of the stadium, there are already too many seats in the end zones, and the end zones go really far up/out. I don't know how something like this could realistically be done.

Not true, in fact, just the opposite. Second deck will be vertical, not horizontal thus closer to the action. Similar to west stadium dimensions and design (less pressbox)

Hey ColoradoHusk, I'm bored ....... my dream project

SOUTHPROJECT_zpsed3bf8ec.jpg

Existing south stadium was a tinker toy construction thus fairly easy to demolished section by section. 2/3 of first deck still there after final product, only 1/3 destroyed. In fact just leave it .... NO demolished at all. Then simply build the second deck on top of first deck (vertical stacking)

I have seen so many people on this board mention upper decks in the end-zones. If you look at the picture of the stadium, there are already too many seats in the end zones, and the end zones go really far up/out. I don't know how something like this could realistically be done.

Not true, in fact, just the opposite. Second deck will be vertical, not horizontal thus closer to the action. Similar to west stadium dimensions and design (less pressbox)

Existing south stadium was a tinker toy construction thus fairly easy to demolished section by section. 2/3 of first deck still there after final product, only 1/3 destroyed. In fact just leave it .... NO demolished at all. Then simply build the second deck on top of first deck (vertical stacking)

Cool diagram, thanks for the clarification. My one question is that how many seats would that type of upper deck hold? By cutting off the last 1/3 of the south stadium, you are probably cutting off 40% of the seats in the South Stadium (due to the way the whole stadium expands out towards the top). That's the one thing that would make it less feasible.

Cool diagram, thanks for the clarification. My one question is that how many seats would that type of upper deck hold? By cutting off the last 1/3 of the south stadium, you are probably cutting off 40% of the seats in the South Stadium (due to the way the whole stadium expands out towards the top). That's the one thing that would make it less feasible.

So we'll spend several million dollars to add the same amount of seats we already have..? Or am I missing something?