Suspension upcoming?

huKSer

That ****-sucker was explicitly trying to hurt Burkhead. Rex had a pile of lineman on top of him and he grabs ahold of his facemask and helmet pulling it in the entire opposite direction that your head is supposed to move.

Wish Ricky Henry woulda knocked him the f out.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Don't crucify me, because its true, whether you admit it or not.

Every single player on Nebraska's defense plays with the intent to injure.

Every. Single. One.

Same goes with every other player on every other defense in the country.

Don't say I'm generalizing, "Oh there has to be a few kids out there who play strictly clean football!" Nope. There aren't. Maybe not dirty like this play, where the intent was to pull Burkhead by the head, but every tackle is made with the intent of bringing the opposite player to the ground as hard as physically possible. Why? To ensure he stays there. To make him hurt. To send a message. Reducing helmet-to-helmet contact isn't going to change that. There will still be eye-gouging and finger breaking at the bottom of piles.

Football is a dirty, nasty, physical game. Hard hits on defenseless players are going to continue until these NCAA rules take effect in High School games and Peewee football, because that is where the habits are made. Reviewing Eric Martin-esque hits now may bring about a suspension, but Eric Martin also said directly after he is going to play just as aggressive. Will this tactic by our wonderful Commissioner work? Nope. It's not going to. Too much of a double standard. The amount of suspensions would get out of hand for plays like what happened to Rex, which happen every single drive, whether we see them or not.

We gotta live with it for a few more months. Then off to the Big 10, where we will continue to play injury-inducing football. The suspensions will end when the NCAA realizes that they can't stop the targeting or dirty plays with suspensions. Personal fouls in game for visible offenders, yes, those will stay. The suspensions will end. Give it time.

what exactly did Legate do to retaliate? I missed that part.

He was pulling Klein to get off of Burkhead. Then the refs flew the flag at Legate for Unnesscary Roughness after the TD. Then Bo goes and lits up Legate on the sideline. Legate didnt argue back just stood their and took it I believe.

i got a sick feeling in my stomach when i watched this... similar to the one i got while watching the clint malarchuk injusry or 2 guys one horse. An inch or two further and that d******d could have killed or paralyed rex. Head up by legate to not only push rex's head back down but then to push that prick off of him. Rex thanked him on the sideline after, but god, that could have been awful.

Nah wouldn't have been able to snap his neck. You need speed to beat the muscles protecting the structures. In human dissection it took several big boys in the class with a pulley system set up to snap the corpses' neck and this is without the muscle guarding (dead) and deterioration of tissues over time (I do realize rigor mortis sets in but gradually weakens over time). However rex may be a little sore and stiff for a few days...

That will be Beebe's explanation VERBATIM as to why there will be no reprimand. No intent to injure because 'in absence of rigor mortis, the structural muscles are too strong and will prevent the neck from breaking'.

:clap

On a similar note, did anyone catch the play by play guy use the theme word of the season 'targeting' when Osborne bumped a receiver after an incompletion? It was the LaVonte David interference play. The color guy, to his credit, diffused it by calling it a 'love tap' by his standards. Osborne even jumped, like he was bound and determined to NOT let his helmet make any contact with the ISU player.

Yes, I heard that and probably would have gone ballistic had the color guy not shot him down. I went from livid to laughing at the deprecating tone of Chris Spielman, who has played the game and who cut through the BS very succinctly. Was it Dave Pasch or Bob Griese who said "targeting?" I believe it was Pasch.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Don't crucify me, because its true, whether you admit it or not.

Every. Single. One.

Don't say I'm generalizing, "Oh there has to be a few kids out there who play strictly clean football!" Nope. There aren't. Maybe not dirty like this play, where the intent was to pull Burkhead by the head, but every tackle is made with the intent of bringing the opposite player to the ground as hard as physically possible. Why? To ensure he stays there. To make him hurt. To send a message. Reducing helmet-to-helmet contact isn't going to change that. There will still be eye-gouging and finger breaking at the bottom of piles.

Football is a dirty, nasty, physical game. Hard hits on defenseless players are going to continue until these NCAA rules take effect in High School games and Peewee football, because that is where the habits are made. Reviewing Eric Martin-esque hits now may bring about a suspension, but Eric Martin also said directly after he is going to play just as aggressive. Will this tactic by our wonderful Commissioner work? Nope. It's not going to. Too much of a double standard. The amount of suspensions would get out of hand for plays like what happened to Rex, which happen every single drive, whether we see them or not.

We gotta live with it for a few more months. Then off to the Big 10, where we will continue to play injury-inducing football. The suspensions will end when the NCAA realizes that they can't stop the targeting or dirty plays with suspensions. Personal fouls in game for visible offenders, yes, those will stay. The suspensions will end. Give it time.

There's a difference between wanting your opponent to feel pain and actually wanting to injure your opponent. I would agree that every defensive player wants to bring pain, he wants that receiver to feel that hit the next day. Very few intentionally want to injure a player.

Every. Single. One.

There's a difference between wanting your opponent to feel pain and actually wanting to injure your opponent. I would agree that every defensive player wants to bring pain, he wants that receiver to feel that hit the next day. Very few intentionally want to injure a player.

Exactly. There's a difference between hurting someone and injuring someone.

If I'm not mistaken, I remember either reading an article or listening to a sports guy on a radio show last week say that the Big 12 officiating offices get 30-40 tapes sent to them each week to look over plays that weren't called or were called. Most of the time, coaches just want to be clarified on something, and it really only becomes a story when it is something that has a lot of people worked up. I'm wondering if this might be one of those videos or if Bo will just let it go.

it was ridiculous, Bo owes Legate an apology.

Yes he does, Bo really looked like a Jack A$$ for chewing out Legate.

I'm pretty sure at the time Bo didn't know the circumstances, there was no way he could've seen what was going on from the sidelines.

That being said, I'm sure when he goes back and looks at the tape and realizes what happened, he will make things right with Legate.

On a similar note, did anyone catch the play by play guy use the theme word of the season 'targeting' when Osborne bumped a receiver after an incompletion? It was the LaVonte David interference play. The color guy, to his credit, diffused it by calling it a 'love tap' by his standards. Osborne even jumped, like he was bound and determined to NOT let his helmet make any contact with the ISU player.

That actually was a pick play on the ISU receiver. They used that same technique/play later when the WR pick Lavonte and the refs just looked the other way in both of those calls. Kyle Reed was called for a foul against Texas when he hit a defender during his route even though that defender wasn't in pass coverage. That linebacker(E Acho) was just reacting to the ball and trying to make a play.

This tells me that this is coached by ISU coaches. If you can get away with it and have the commentators say it is a smart play when you get away with it, then they will continue to coach it.

The Big 12 is trying to keep NU out of the CCG. This is one of may ways they are trying to do it.