Suspension upcoming?

huKSer

I captured the game and uploaded a clip of this a-hole. Time to bombard the media.

Hey, could you do me and maybe the rest of a solid and find that helmet to helmet hit on Cody Green sometime in the first quarter? It was the play before Martinez came in for one snap I'm pretty sure. I mean it was OBVIOUS, BEYOND OBVIOUS and no flag. Some people think I'm crazy, but I saw it clear as day. Thanks in advance if you can!

Here are a couple of looks at the flagrant facemask against Burkhead and Helu's fumble. The key thing to look at in Helu's fumble is the angle at 1:20, which shows him impacting the ground before the ISU player rips the ball from his grasp. No, you cannot see the ball, but you can see Roy hit the ground, then you can see the guy rip the ball. This is the same amount of "evidence" they used to put Arnaud over the goal line in his TD.

They got the call right with Arnaud - he crossed the plane - but they didn't have conclusive evidence. It was all based on angles, and you had to interpret what you saw. The problem is that they didn't do the same thing for Helu, and we were charged with a turnover.

Exactly. I watched the play again last night and it was clear that from the back angle rex was on the ground before the ripping motion by the isu player then on the other view the ball didn't hit the ground until after the ripping motion. They have to be consistent. Either have inconclusive evidence to overturn both or judgement on both. Make up your mind.

I captured the game and uploaded a clip of this a-hole. Time to bombard the media.

Hey, could you do me and maybe the rest of a solid and find that helmet to helmet hit on Cody Green sometime in the first quarter? It was the play before Martinez came in for one snap I'm pretty sure. I mean it was OBVIOUS, BEYOND OBVIOUS and no flag. Some people think I'm crazy, but I saw it clear as day. Thanks in advance if you can!

I went back and looked at that and it didn't look as bad. I'll look again tonight but if I remember right it looked like cody lowered his head too.

The last time I saw another player obviously trying to cause bodily harm to a Husker after the play was Rocky Calmus of Oklahoma on Dejuan Groce after a punt return. I think we even got the penalty on that when Groce threw the football at Calmus' head as he was pulling his leg in an awkward trying to cause knee damage sort of way.

i remember shouting, "ankle twisters!"

I remember that too. He spiked the ball into his helmet or something like that to get him off.

no, but Gomes might for trying to break Arnaud in half.

yup. a nasty play and cheap shot.

the klein play on burkhead was inexcusable as well. uncalled for.

I was being sarcastic. It wasn't a cheap shot. He was trying to tackle the ball carrier and had no way of knowing his legs were pinned.

Klein, on the other hand, should have been ejected.

Some follow-up on the Klein assault on Burkhead from the World Herald:

Teammates rally around Rex

Mitch Sherman

LINCOLN — Bad things happen on a football field, some worse than Iowa State linebacker A.J. Klein wrenching the helmet and neck of Nebraska's Rex Burkhead.

Not always, though, does it draw a reaction like that play did.

Multiple TV replays and photographs captured Klein, a 6-foot-1, 240-pound sophomore, as he tugged at the headgear and appeared to use his right leg for leverage against Burkhead after the sophomore I-back scored on a 2-yard run in Saturday's third quarter.

“It's still kind of sore,” Burkhead said Monday night of his neck.

A dirty play by Klein, no doubt, and deserving of a flag. The personal foul, though, was called against NU fullback Tyler Legate — 15 yards for pushing Klein away from Burkhead, with help from guard Keith Williams.

“I just reacted,” Legate said. “Trying to protect my teammate.”

Burkhead thanked Legate, who delivered a key block on the TD run along with guard Ricky Henry.

“Legate's like another brother to me,” said Burkhead, the offensive star for Nebraska in its 31-30 overtime win. “It's nice to know your teammates have your back.”

Burkhead, who took almost 20 snaps Saturday in the Wildcat formation, has earned that kind of treatment for his toughness and football savvy. The guy is treated with reverence by teammates and coaches.

“He is an exceptional young man in every regard,” coach Bo Pelini said. “And I think the other players, they recognize that.”

Teammates voted Burkhead to the Unity Council this season, his second year in the Nebraska program. Pelini described him as a leader even last year.

“You ask guys about who they respect on the team,” Pelini said, “and I think, to a man, everyone will mention Rex Burkhead.”

The penalty, assessed on the kickoff, cost Nebraska 5 yards of field position. No big deal, but it matters that the officials missed Klein.

Line judge Kevin Mar threw the flag on Legate. Umpire Scott Campbell and field judge Nick Lave also stood within a few yards of the play as Klein accosted Burkhead. It stands to reason that the pile of players at the goal line blocked the officials' view of Klein. How, then, did they see Legate commit a foul against him?

The whole thing serves as just another reminder of the disturbingly poor string of Big 12 officiating that we've seen in recent weeks.

This is no suggestion of a plot by the league against Nebraska, which is bolting for the Big Ten next year. Bad calls have gone in favor of the Huskers, too.

Saturday in Ames, Iowa State quarterback Austen Arnaud was nearly injured in the first quarter on a play overturned after Nebraska stripped the football and returned it for an apparent touchdown. In the second quarter, Iowa State was awarded a Roy Helu fumble after he was held up for several seconds by the defense and stripped of the ball.

So if you're Klein, who might not have known if Burkhead had crossed the goal line, why not wrench away?

As for Legate, he got an earful from Pelini on the sideline after the touchdown. The coach said Tuesday he saw it differently after reviewing tape. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, watching from the press box, never doubted Legate's motives.

“He was trying to get the guy's hands off Rex,” Watson said. “He was defending his teammate. You can't complain too much about that.”

I would be really surprised if Bo didn't say something to Legate after watching tape of this play.

I'm sure he did. After giving Legate an earful like that, it's the right thing to man up and admit he is wrong to Legate for doing that. Anybody would have done what Legate did in that situation.

I take comfort in knowing we still won that game, but it's still a very disturbing play.

So does #47 for ISU get suspended for the cheap and flagrant attempt to rip of Rex Burkhead's head off?

Today is the day the suspension should be announced. This is Beebe's golden opportunity to show that he has a consistent policy of protecting players from flagrant fouls.

If Klein is not suspended, it may not mean that there's a conspiracy, but it sure won't put those concerns to rest.

It will also solidify for all time the fact that Beebe is worthless as a commissioner. This is his chance to start rebuilding his reputation, the reputation of his conference, and to uphold the standards of fair play espoused by the Big XII and the NCAA.

• Fire 4