Rumor: Zac Lee

If Martinez is not ready for the A+M game in a few weeks could we see Carnes burn his redshirt or are their any other viable QB's we could insert into the game? I would hate to see Carnes burn his RS this late in the season though. Im not that impressed with Green.

Why on earth would you burn a redshirt in the eleventh regular season game so a kid with zero game experience could make his first career start at a place like Kyle Field? :facepalm:

Ask Harrison and Dukes that question. chuckleshuffle Though Dukes said no.

Though Bo doesn't seem like the kind of coach that would do this, but it has happened before in this program.

The Bill Callahan Era is not "this program." It was an entirely separate animal from the long-standing culture of Nebraska football. You cannot seriously put that out there and expect it to be taken at face value.

:yeah

GBR!!!

Lee and Martinez may in fact be decoys right now with little/no intention to actually play. It's best not to allow the opposing staff to know which QB they're preparing for. It's worth the minor aggravation of the labrum tear (potential) of putting on the pads and going through a "mock" warm-up at the end of his career to create some doubt/confusion for opposing defensive coordinators. It's not as if Lee has an NFL paycheck waiting for him. Injury info should be held VERY close to the vest. No opposing defense needs to know whom to prepare for IMO.

Well then I guess we should all quit talking about injuries to Martinez and Lee and pretend like they can play :sarcasm

The reason opposing teams don't need to prepare to see different QBs is because Watson essentially uses all 3 of them the same way, even though they are markedly different in playing style and talent. They will prepare for Martinez regardless. If Cody Green or Lee go under center, they'll just breathe a sigh of relief and back off the line of scrimmage.

My same source that said last week that Cody was starting and Zac was out for the year told me this the other night:

Cody really did have a concussion and the team is really keeping quiet about it. If so I'm extremely disappointed in the coaching staff for allowing him to play after the hit he took.

Zac Lee still is confirmed to be out for the season. He would definitely be the second string if he were healthy.

Taylor is starting today and is not 100%. He'll need surgery after the season but can get through this season before he has to (similar to Zac last year). He doesn't know if Cody will be able to go today as the back-up. If he can't go I've been seeing that the next guy would be.. gulp.. Ron Kellogg. I watched this guy in high school and he honestly wasn't all too impressive. Can't imagine him playing a D-1 game at Memorial Stadium.

Well, if Lee does have a torn labrum, he is for sure done. I've had that same injury and still do in my right shoulder, got it fixed in my left shoulder. Not a fun injury and you can't do much as far as throwing anything.

A torn labrum....always depends on the severity of the injury...but I bet my bank account that Zac Lee doesn't have a torn labrum....most torn labrums are quite a painful injury in the shoulder capsule. No way in HELLLOOOO would they let Zac Lee put on his pads and jersey...unless they wanted him to re aggravate it and cause further injury...but once again...i go back to my opening statement...always depends on the severity...even with it being a minor tear/pull...I don't see the staff allowing him to use full range of motion and strength in that shoulder..

I can agree with that. For instance my right shoulder has had a torn labrum in it for several years. I've strengthened the shoulder up enough that I don't have to have surgery, for now, but it still bugs me all the time. The left one I tore after my right one. I rolled over in bed one night and "pop" shoulder dislocated due to instability in my joint from the torn labrum. Needless to say I had surgery about a week and a half later. That was horribly painful.

My same source that said last week that Cody was starting and Zac was out for the year told me this the other night:

Cody really did have a concussion and the team is really keeping quiet about it. If so I'm extremely disappointed in the coaching staff for allowing him to play after the hit he took.

Zac Lee still is confirmed to be out for the season. He would definitely be the second string if he were healthy.

Taylor is starting today and is not 100%. He'll need surgery after the season but can get through this season before he has to (similar to Zac last year). He doesn't know if Cody will be able to go today as the back-up. If he can't go I've been seeing that the next guy would be.. gulp.. Ron Kellogg. I watched this guy in high school and he honestly wasn't all too impressive. Can't imagine him playing a D-1 game at Memorial Stadium.

I think the highlighted part needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There was another member that had said similiar things about Martinez at one point and look how that turned out. The kid wouldn't be at NU period if he wasn't at least "decent" in some aspect of the game.

Well then I guess we should all quit talking about injuries to Martinez and Lee and pretend like they can play :sarcasm

The reason opposing teams don't need to prepare to see different QBs is because Watson essentially uses all 3 of them the same way, even though they are markedly different in playing style and talent. They will prepare for Martinez regardless. If Cody Green or Lee go under center, they'll just breathe a sigh of relief and back off the line of scrimmage.

Yeah, I guess I can use a soup spoon and a backhoe in the same way, but they have slightly different levels of effectiveness.

And why else would the staff/team be so secretive about injuries??? They don't want to give away any information that will allow the opposing team to be better prepared.

I think the highlighted part needs to be taken with a grain of salt. There was another member that had said similiar things about Martinez at one point and look how that turned out. The kid wouldn't be at NU period if he wasn't at least "decent" in some aspect of the game.

You definitely make a good point, but Martinez was the California high school player of the year. He was great at what he did and we just didn't believe that his talents would transfer to a D-1 QB. Obviously we were wrong. Ron Kellogg wasn't even a very good Nebraska high school QB. I've seen players like Jared Hyland at Burke, Philip Bates at North, Daryle Hawkins at Central, Tyler Seals at Bell West and they were all what I would call "impressive" high school QBs (at least for Nebraska standards). Ron Kellogg doesn't belong with those guys. But you are right the coaches must have seen something when offering him a walk-on opportunity.

You definitely make a good point, but Martinez was the California high school player of the year. He was great at what he did and we just didn't believe that his talents would transfer to a D-1 QB. Obviously we were wrong. Ron Kellogg wasn't even a very good Nebraska high school QB. I've seen players like Jared Hyland at Burke, Philip Bates at North, Daryle Hawkins at Central, Tyler Seals at Bell West and they were all what I would call "impressive" high school QBs (at least for Nebraska standards). Ron Kellogg doesn't belong with those guys. But you are right the coaches must have seen something when offering him a walk-on opportunity.

And I obviously don't have anything to reference back to as far as seeing him play in person. If he does take some snaps today I just hope he takes care of the football. Don't need Kansas to start getting takeaways and go down that road.