Wats will go to CO at the end of the year

When Watson leaves I think Tim Beck will be our new OC with my reasoning being that he was calling plays at the end of the K-State game. Plus he's an invaluable recruiter in Texas whether or not you believe Texas will still be a hotbed for us once we move to the Big 10.

Really? Explanation?

I don't think Beck being OC or not has an effect on his ability to recruit Texas. Unless you mean, he might not stick around if not promoted.

I like Wats and his philosophy, I have been critical of him at times, but when he opens the playbook, the offense can be a thing of beauty, he is a great recruiter and knows his stuff on the offensive side of the ball. It would be a loss, even if you're a Watson hater 100%, for us if/when he leaves.

I remember reading a quote somewhere like Watson said he "Wouldn't even take the head coaching job of Colorado even in a video game." Anyone remember reading that?

When Watson leaves I think Tim Beck will be our new OC with my reasoning being that he was calling plays at the end of the K-State game. Plus he's an invaluable recruiter in Texas whether or not you believe Texas will still be a hotbed for us once we move to the Big 10.

I haven't heard anything and don't believe it about him calling plays at the end of the K-state game. However If you have proof I will stand corrected.

CU, Michigan and Notre Dame are like the black hole of coaching. It's beyond me why people are still willing to ruin their careers trying to turn those programs around. Then again you probably could have said the same thing about Nebraska after the Callahan train wreck.

Watson isn't going to Colorado. There was thread after thread after thread at CU message boards saying how glad they were to be rid of him when he left last time. They're not taking him back, especially not at Head Coach.

I'm pretty sure message boards don't set the standards for who an athletic director hires. Check Auburn a few years ago. Who saw that coming?

Right now Wats would be a sensible choice. Roots in the program. Offense is playing well. Experience with one of the best defensive minds in football. Young.

You could do worse.

Yeah my first thought was how much input does the fanbase get in picking the coach?

Especially on internet board. Talk about crazy...... :nanalama

I live in Denver and have been listening to local media on the situation.

Jeremy Bloom mentioned Wats last week. Haven't really heard him mentioned other than that.

McCartney is the fan fav right now but many former players and people in the program don't seem too excited about it.

I had not heard the Bohn to KU rumor someone else in this thread posted. that would make it interesting. Even though Hawk was a bust Bohn has a lot of juice right now as he is getting credit for the Pac 12 move.

Barnett was on yesterday talking about how bad admin and the university support the program and that they are gonna struggle to find a real name coach. He sounded bitter but I'd bet there is some truth there.

CU doesn't have the money to pay Leach or any other name. People here are mentioning Les Miles, Belloti, etc but they are DREAMING!!!!

Also Colorado isn't looking at him so...

I wish they were but CU's problem before was that they didn't have the funds/resources to go out and get a top tier coach. It's funny but back then Dan Hawkins was looked at as a great hire and fit for CU. Anyway from a financial standpoint Watson would make sense. For me anyway I just wish they actually wanted him.

Ultimately I don't see things changing for Colorado unless they can somehow land a coach and coaching staff that's really good at recruiting and can coach that talent on top of that.

I live in Denver and have been listening to local media on the situation.

Jeremy Bloom mentioned Wats last week. Haven't really heard him mentioned other than that.

McCartney is the fan fav right now but many former players and people in the program don't seem too excited about it.

I had not heard the Bohn to KU rumor someone else in this thread posted. that would make it interesting. Even though Hawk was a bust Bohn has a lot of juice right now as he is getting credit for the Pac 12 move.

Barnett was on yesterday talking about how bad admin and the university support the program and that they are gonna struggle to find a real name coach. He sounded bitter but I'd bet there is some truth there.

CU doesn't have the money to pay Leach or any other name. People here are mentioning Les Miles, Belloti, etc but they are DREAMING!!!!

I understand they are in a bad way up there, but Leach cant come in on a high horse either. A high six figure with a bonus/raise track built into the contract might work. Anyone know what Leach was getting at TT?

It's not like Colorado can sit back and select whomever they wish by pointing a diamond flecked finger at one of many incredibly high caliber candidates.

Pederson was shocked at how hard it was to find a viable option after he dismissed Coach Solich, and you have a TON more in place here at NU then you do in Boulder.

Colorado has the following hindrances for any head coach to consider:

1.) It's a pro town/state. The Broncos are infinitely more important than the Buffaloes to most sports fans in Colorado.

2.) The facilities are horrible...really, really bad.

3.) The University is in dire straits economically...which means there is zero money to spend on facility upgrades.

4.) Booster indifference. Raising money for the Cornhuskers isn't akin to playing tiddlywinks, but it is compared to getting Colorado business folk to open up their wallets for an afterthought up in Boulder.

5.) Four long years of terrible football means a pretty substantial rebuilding phase. From the time they were absolutely annihilated by Texas in the CCG five years ago, the talent and production decline has been nothing short of precipitous. That job feels like a Sisyphean endeavor at this point.

So, I believe speculation on who Colorado is going to select is a little premature. I think a more accurate way to phrase Colorado's situation is to ask who they are going to settle for, rather than who they are going to choose. I think CU is about to get Callahanned.

Sisyphean? Nice. Keep posting Nebula, I am orbiting your glalxy...

You forgot one Nebula... The birkenstock pit-hair faculty (don't know about the males) in Boulder really wanted to get out of football altogether after Barnett - Leach 'the neanderthal big meanie' would play great with this crowd!