"Old Taylor" back?

Skers!

Practice report: Shawn Watson happy to see 'the old Taylor'

Was he 80 percent last week? Maybe 90? Plenty of onlookers have been giving their percentages when it comes to the health of quarterback Taylor Martinez. On Wednesday, Shawn Watson lent his voice to the discussion. The Husker offensive coordinator said Martinez is now very close to 100 percent in his recovery from a sprained ankle.

"He's like old Taylor," an upbeat Watson said after practice. "It's good to have him back like he was before the injury. He's really close. I really don't notice anything with him. He's accelerating. He's making cuts on a dime. He's looked really good this week. It's like having the old Taylor back." Martinez played the entire game in Saturday's 20-3 win over Kansas but did not appear to be fully recovered from the ankle injury suffered against Missouri.

The freshman rushed 11 times for 71 yards and completed 14 of 26 passes for 167 yards with one pick in the game. Watson said it was good that the quarterback was able to throw that many passes. "Any time we have a chance to pass, I just think he gets better at it," Watson said. "He had a really nice week last week in his decision making. He made some key throws on third down. ... So he's really grasping it. He's not a done project. There's still a lot to go, but he's really come along."

Based off this article which can be found here would you believe that Taylor is 100% or close to it? Or do you just think this is a Wats/Pelini smoke screen? Personally I think no one is buying that Taylor is "100%" until he cuts and heads down field for six.

This one is tough to read. Part of me says not to buy it, the other part says ok this is awesome. I am more inclined to think he is somewhere in about the 80-90% range. The coaches said last week he was fine, obviously he wasnt. There was a noticable difference in the way Taylor ran between the 1st and 2nd halves. In the first half he looked like he was 50-60% but the second half i would say he looked more like 75%. Alot of that probably had to do with confidence in his ankle and knocking the rust off. He ran for 71 yds which is still a pretty salty day considering he didnt run much in the 1st half.

Obviously he has had another week to heal so i would think he will be even farther along than last week. I wouldnt expect a full go Martinez till CU. However I hope Zenitram proves me wrong this weekend.

This one is tough to read. Part of me says not to buy it, the other part says ok this is awesome. I am more inclined to think he is somewhere in about the 80-90% range. The coaches said last week he was fine, obviously he wasnt. There was a noticable difference in the way Taylor ran between the 1st and 2nd halves. In the first half he looked like he was 50-60% but the second half i would say he looked more like 75%. Alot of that probably had to do with confidence in his ankle and knocking the rust off. He ran for 71 yds which is still a pretty salty day considering he didnt run much in the 1st half.

Obviously he has had another week to heal so i would think he will be even farther along than last week. I wouldnt expect a full go Martinez till CU. However I hope Zenitram proves me wrong this weekend.

They didn't want/let him run in the first half. That was very, very clear/obvious. When he was allowed to take off he rushed for ~70yds in one half. That could have been ~140yd for the day. People are overlooking that fact. I firmly believe it was never in the playbook to score 50 against KU. Just wouldn't have been right thing to do to Turner.

They didn't want/let him run in the first half. That was very, very clear/obvious. When he was allowed to take off he rushed for ~70yds in one half. That could have been ~140yd for the day. People are overlooking that fact. I firmly believe it was never in the playbook to score 50 against KU. Just wouldn't have been right thing to do to Turner.

I agree that they didn't want to let him run in the first half, Bo said so in his press confrence, he also said that the offense didn't exicute.

Just me, but I thought he looked pretty good in the second half. He did turn away from contact a couple times, once seeming to pull off the throttle and jog out of bounds. But it looked like a choice, at least to me.

The disappointing thing about the Kansas game, to me, was that the O line didn't simply dominate and enable the backs to have big games.

I do not believe anything they say about injuries other than the athlete is out for the year.

High ankle sprains are hell, and very seldom heal that fast, of course we do not know that is what it was.

We will know very quickly how far back he is. He is going to be needed in this game.

I do not believe anything they say about injuries other than the athlete is out for the year.

High ankle sprains are hell, and very seldom heal that fast, of course we do not know that is what it was.

We will know very quickly how far back he is. He is going to be needed in this game.

very true about the injuries but I alos feel that they will play the guy that gives us the best chance to win, we may see some more wild cat this week but I expect to see Taylor run a lot more today

I'm in the "He looked good in the 2nd 1/2 camp" he made some folks miss and a few times he was gone before the D could get to him. I don't know what % he is at but assuming the ankle was not agrivated after the last game I think that we could see the old Martinez back. Even in the weeks prior to his injury he was still explosive but teams were getting better at not letting him get the bit runs. I think it could be a huge day for Martinez and we will also get to see how the young A&M qb does.

I agree that they didn't want to let him run in the first half, Bo said so in his press confrence, he also said that the offense didn't exicute.

yeah that is what I was thinking during the game.

I concur. I don't think any of us are really going to know until the end of the 1st quarter Saturday night.