Tougher Conference ?

Clearly the big 12 has lost a great deal of depth with Nebraska leaving so ..... In past years I think that big 12 as a whole was better with the Nebraska move I think that tips things a bit, also if the Penn State and Michigan’s' climb back a bit this question will be easy to answer. My take in recruiting is that I think Nebraska will continue to be strong in Texas if they keep winning, if they hit another big ugly streak I see the Texas connections starting to fade. FWIW I moved from Lincoln (where I attended Southeast in the late 80’s) to Pittsburg PA my SR year of high school and they have some top notch football talent in that area of the country that I hope our Big 10 connection helps with.

Hello neighbors, new user here, welcoming you to check out hawkeyenation.com and talk football or any other sport.

I don't think one can compare the conferences yet, there are so many things to consider. The best measuring stick will be after Nebraska's first year. I'm assuming that your team will be similar to last years. Does your team have any areas of concern?

I have a feeling alot of B1G teams have major question marks, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota... ect. Will be a good year to step in.

On bowl games, as stated before we only play against the top conferences Big 12, SEC, Pac 10, and if you do some research most of the time B1G temas are the underdog because of our bowl alotment. Take Iowa (7-5) playing Mizzu (10-2) last year. Although it will be changing next year, with the addition of another bowl against a Conf USA team.

Also I think the whole speed thing has been over hyped by the media, the conferences play different styles of football. As stated above we recruit from the texas' and flordia's of the world just like everyone else. They are the same players, just because they go to the SEC instead of the B1G doesn't make them faster.

The conference goes through Columbus as of late, with occasional nips from Iowa, Wisc, Penn st.

Good luck in year 1.

Everyone always claims that the Big 10 is slow. Then some kid from Wisconsin chases down one of the fastest runningbacks ever out of Arkansas from behind and it shuts people up for awhile. Then we get back to "the big ten is slow." The big ten has athletes on par with the Big 12. To think so would be your downfall.

Everyone always claims that the Big 10 is slow. Then some kid from Wisconsin chases down one of the fastest runningbacks ever out of Arkansas from behind and it shuts people up for awhile. Then we get back to "the big ten is slow." The big ten has athletes on par with the Big 12. To think so would be your downfall.

Having one guy that caught somebody who was "the fastest ever" once upon a time doesn't mean your team is fast. Nebraska has a ton of team speed right now, and from all indications they are structurally tweaking things to play even faster this season on both sides of the ball. Bo sez: "Attack!"

Fact: The big ten team speed, on average, is less than SEC, Pac 10, and Big XII teams have had over the last 10 years. Also, I'm convinced that NU has one of the top defensive minds in the game today at head coach....his defenses beat the SEC, won a MNC, and stopped the best the Big XII had to offer. Good luck with the whole power run game, big ten. Better have a backup plan if you intend to score against the 2011 Blackshirts.

As long as no combination of key players gets injured, NU wins the big ten this year, easy. All the top teams from the big ten last year are going to be either rebuilding, embroiled in controversy, or both, and NU looks to be hitting it's stride talent-wise and as an organization. Bo's finally got his crew together, and all his own recruits. Four years of Bo's culture really looks to be taking hold. Four years of recruiting speed, and the mantra below.

Seriously, all you hear is "$candal cheating blah blah" from so many top programs, meanwhile you are hearing this chorus of "hard work, responsibility, and integrity" from all sides of the Nebraska program right now. I don't think Bo could have done a better job of bringing in the right kind of players and keeping things on the straight and narrow. Everyone must toe the line.

It all pays dividends this season.

React.

It's all cyclical. B12 was the stronger conference for a while but B10 was stronger at times. B10 has less doormats IMO. Never fails that Indiana or northwestern beats the conference "power" year in and year out.

Either way, stability is what it is all about. I'm grateful to say I welcome all challenges that the future brings.

Northwestern = Baylor = Vanderbilt

They're like the brainiac kid with pop-bottle lens glasses who always gets picked last in sandlot baseball.

Except Northwestern likes to actually win the conference every once in a while.

Hello neighbors, new user here, welcoming you to check out hawkeyenation.com and talk football or any other sport.

I don't think one can compare the conferences yet, there are so many things to consider. The best measuring stick will be after Nebraska's first year. I'm assuming that your team will be similar to last years. Does your team have any areas of concern?

I have a feeling alot of B1G teams have major question marks, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota... ect. Will be a good year to step in.

On bowl games, as stated before we only play against the top conferences Big 12, SEC, Pac 10, and if you do some research most of the time B1G temas are the underdog because of our bowl alotment. Take Iowa (7-5) playing Mizzu (10-2) last year. Although it will be changing next year, with the addition of another bowl against a Conf USA team.

Also I think the whole speed thing has been over hyped by the media, the conferences play different styles of football. As stated above we recruit from the texas' and flordia's of the world just like everyone else. They are the same players, just because they go to the SEC instead of the B1G doesn't make them faster.

The conference goes through Columbus as of late, with occasional nips from Iowa, Wisc, Penn st.

Good luck in year 1.

Welcome. Nebraska certainly has question marks. We lost several playmakers in our secondary, and we will be transitioning to a different type of defense where we play less nickel and dime and more 4-3, so everyone is curious to see how the linebackers do, although we should have good experience there and on the defensive line. The only real question on defense is in the secondary, and frankly most around here are confident enough in our coaches that we trust our defense will be top-notch again, despite the few holes it has to fill.

On the other hand, Nebraska's whole offense is somewhat of a question. Really, the only player on offense that isn't a question mark is Rex Burkhead, who will be completely solid. But we need people to step up at RB, and we need better play at WR and on the OL. We need to see Martinez improve at QB, but I think he's proven that he's pretty dangerous when he's healthy. Other than that, we obviously are installing a new offense, and we're all interested to see what that looks like, but I think most of us are in agreement that even if it isn't a wild success right away, it will probably make better use of our talent than our last scheme did.

I actually agree with you about the "speed" debate, I think it is overplayed sometimes. Obviously there is some truth to it, as there was truth to the same argument in the 80's and early 90's, when Nebraska rolled through its conference and then got pummeled in its bowl game by faster teams like Miami and Florida State. However, nowadays people mainly talk about the Big 10's lack of speed because they've done poorly in the past few years in bowl games, and everybody especially remembers Ohio State getting trounced in several BCS title games. However, you only have to go a few more years back to see Ohio State defeat Miami for the national title, a team that thoroughly whipped Nebraska the year before.

Anyways, I think Nebraska is going to bring a level of athleticism to the Big 10 that other Big 10 fan bases might be surprised at, but I do think the speed argument is overstated, and I don't at all think Nebraska is just going to waltz through. I'm confident that Nebraska will do well, but I don't think it's gonna be easy.

Indiana - Baylor usually a wash but Baylor with Griffin is far better than Indiana

Edge B12

Minnesota - I want to almost give Kansas a Slight edge.. at least they didn't hire Cozgrove after his stint at NU. Any team that does that can't be managed well at the top.. but it's too early to tell which team does better with their new staffs - still not sold on Gill lasting too long with their AD situation.

Edge Even

Purdue - Colorado Purdue is a better overall team right now, but Colorado hated us so I'd say Colorado is a tougher game (for Nebraska).

Edge B12 (For Nebraska)

Northwestern - Kansas State Northwestern is capable of sneaking an upset against good teams but don't have anywhere close to the athletes KSU did last year. - Daniel Thomas alone is better than anything Northwestern has had in a decade.

Edge B12 (Until Snyder retires again then it will favor the B10)

Michigan - Texas Tech Difficult offense to adjust to with poor defense. Nearly a wash but Tech had our number recently and I'll be interested to see how our D does against a similar player to Taylor.

Edge Even

Penn State - Texas A&M Clear edge to the Aggies here. Paterno is a great coach but they simply don't have any real playmakers the past few years.

Edge B12

Iowa - Missouri Iowa is better on D, Missouri is better on O but Pinkel isn't anywhere close to Ferentz.

Edge B10

Michigan State - Oklahoma State Michigan State is sometimes really good and sometimes not so good. Okie Light doesn't always win but ALWAYS has great playmakers under Gundy. Defensive edge to Michigan State (though if you saw them play it isn't by a ton) but a clear edge in offense to the Cowboys.

Edge B12

Wisconsin - Oklahoma Oklahoma out athlete's Wisconsin by a mile but I prefer Wisconsin's style and coaching staff.

Edge Wisconsin (Slightly)

Ohio State - Texas last year clearly Texas wasn't good and the Buckeyes were pretty strong (though also underperformed).. but year in and year out? Texas simply has better talent and who knows who will be coaching OSU next season. Mack Brown simply knows how to beat Nebraska too.

Edge Texas (slightly)

I think team for team the Big 12 is superior.. but we had a much more favorable schedule in the Big 12 too.. so it's somewhat fairly even.. but I give the Big 12 the edge overall because the one thing that really stands out to me is the "freak factor." The Big 12 always has a ton of "football freaks" and most teams have at least 1 if not 2 and the top 3-4 teams have 4-5. The Big 10 (outside of OSU) has maybe 5 or 6 total. I mean heck everyone made such a big deal of Dennard Robinson last year.. but the B12 has one of those guys every year recently - at BAYLOR.

• Fire 1

Everybody especially remembers Ohio State getting trounced in several BCS title games. However, you only have to go a few more years back to see Ohio State defeat Miami for the national title, a team that thoroughly whipped Nebraska the year before.

Two BCS title games = several??? OSU's BCS record 6-3 is much better than Oklahoma 3-5 but everyone likes to shyte on OSU for being a fraud much more than Oklahoma. Also, one of OSU losses was a last minute loss to Texas when Texas was #3 and OSU was #10.

One thing that plays in the "SPEED" perceptions is weather. SEC games are played almost always in ideal conditions - sunny, warm, no wind and on fast tracks. The QBs & receivers can play pitch and catch and the D can fly around.

I would agree with this to some extent. This, being the weather, is what I think will eventually haunt us in terms of bringing in talent from Texas. If I were a four or five star recruit from Texas, I wouldn't want to go somewhere where it will potentially be very cold the last part of the season.

They have been coming to Nebraska for years Junior. A lot go to the Big Ten schools now. I don't think that will matter to the level of kids we normally get. We are not getting the cream of the crop, they will end up in Texas or Oklahoma normally.

I do not think the move to the Big Ten will hurt our recruiting unless we start to lose a lot of games.

One thing that plays in the "SPEED" perceptions is weather. SEC games are played almost always in ideal conditions - sunny, warm, no wind and on fast tracks. The QBs & receivers can play pitch and catch and the D can fly around.

I would agree with this to some extent. This, being the weather, is what I think will eventually haunt us in terms of bringing in talent from Texas. If I were a four or five star recruit from Texas, I wouldn't want to go somewhere where it will potentially be very cold the last part of the season.

Well if you are a 4 or 5 star recruit and want to play in the NFL where you will be playing in the cold for half the season, then not wanting to go to a school where it's cold shouldn't be an issue.

Do any teams in the Big10 use any hybrid type linebackers/Peso backs? That is one area where Nebraska might have an advantage in terms of speed. It's not that Big10 teams do not have their share of speed at the skill positions. They do. We just do not use the 250 pound linebacker anymore.

It's all cyclical. B12 was the stronger conference for a while but B10 was stronger at times. B10 has less doormats IMO. Never fails that Indiana or northwestern beats the conference "power" year in and year out.

Either way, stability is what it is all about. I'm grateful to say I welcome all challenges that the future brings.

Northwestern = Baylor = Vanderbilt

They're like the brainiac kid with pop-bottle lens glasses who always gets picked last in sandlot baseball.

Except Northwestern likes to actually win the conference every once in a while.

True, Northwestern did win the Big 10 once during the past 110 years. And they were tied for the best record two other times, both fairly recently.

Actually, I think NW is headed in the right direction under Fitzgerald. Almost can't be called a doormat anymore.