NCAA Rule Changes

Bradr

Link

• No Wedge Blocking on Kick Offs (15 yard penalty)
  • No Taunting (from spot of foul, potentially eliminating the score)
  • No Eye Black Containing Messages or Symbols

At some point this season, that second one is really going to hurt a team or two. And be totally bogus at the same time.

Link

At some point this season, that second one is really going to hurt a team or two. And be totally bogus at the same time.

I actually like the 2nd one, mainly from the standpoint of the showboating that occurs before the crossing of the goal line. Taking off the points should stop that. There won't be any high stepping, diving from the 2 or 3 yard line when no one is around, running parallel to the goal line from one side of the field to the other to get more camera time. The bad thing about this, is it's another judgement call for the refs to make, and we've seen how the judgement varies from conference to conference. I guarantee you'll see people do the exact same thing in two different games, one will be called for it, one will get away with it and we'll have the same controversy as the "leading with the head" BS we had last year.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the second rule is stupid. I accept others' opinions about them, but at the same time I don't understand the constant desire or need from our society to make sure everything is politically correct and fair for all audience members. If somebody wants to put a bible verse on their eye-black - let em. If they want to write "I love you, Dad." - let em. It doesn't hurt anybody. I can understand not having derogatory terms or language on eye-black, but people who complain about that kind of stuff really need to find better ways to live their lives.

And I can already see the taunting rule becoming an extremely volatile issue. If a qb throws up a hail marry, the wr catches it at the ten yard line and points into the crowd as he runs into the end zone to win the game, is that taunting? This rule is going to be extremely subjective and is going to be abused about as badly as roughing the quarterback is or helmet to helmet contact rulings.

• Fire 2

Link

I love how the NCAA is micromanaging the fun right out of college sports.

All these rules are retarded and they take away the fun of college football. Taking away the score? Really? The Kansas State player that saluted cost his team the game! Saluting....lets get serious people.

That's exactly why this is going to be a huge problem. It's a subjective rule that is open to far too much interpretation, and how exactly are we going to define taunting?

There's a difference between taunting and celebrating on the way to the end-zone, but everybody's definition of the difference between the two is different. What I think is taunting and what I think is celebrating could be extremely different than someone else, and there is no way to put together a standard to be followed.

It's a stupid rule that has no place in the game. Sure, I'd be pissed if another player turned around near the end-zone and motioned for one of our players to come tackle him before he gets there. But I'd hope my team would use that as fire to go back down the field and score.

• Fire 1

As long as you're not pointing the ball or your finger at your opponent or having choreographed riverdances in the endzone, just let the kids play.

How many times do you see a defensive guy make a big hit and stand over the ball carrier with no flag?

Let 'em frickin play!!

As long as you're not pointing the ball or your finger at your opponent or having choreographed riverdances in the endzone, just let the kids play.

How many times do you see a defensive guy make a big hit and stand over the ball carrier with no flag?

Let 'em frickin play!!

Or that 300 pounder who somehow gets the tipped ball and runs 10 yards for a score. That is huge for a D lineman, not to many times that happens in their lives, I think some thought should be given there before throwing a flag.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! I can see not having the Ochocinco crap not going on in college football, but this will be a huge issue as the season goes on. This is just another way for the official to show their 'power' and make a stupid call. God forbid someone be excited for making a huge play and hurt someone's feelings!

We are raising a bunch of pu$$ies in our society and this is just another example.

• Fire 1