The Bubba Starling Thread

I would bet Bubba's signing bonus that HuskerMoon was using sarcasm.

I wish more people would use this symbol :sarcasm ... would save alotta confusion.

I was more than a little ebbarrassed that this site was the only one I came across that felt the need to have that :sarcasm icon

You must not go to many forums. It's pretty common. :blink:

I would bet Bubba's signing bonus that HuskerMoon was using sarcasm.

I wish more people would use this symbol :sarcasm ... would save alotta confusion.

I was more than a little ebbarrassed that this site was the only one I came across that felt the need to have that :sarcasm icon

Why? It's text, so there's no voice inflection to determine if it's sarcasm and sometimes people aren't so obvious that they are being sarcastic.

• Fire 1

So then, if/when Mr. Starling winds up in Lincoln as a two sport athlete for the next few years, which of you (mealy mouth nay-sayers) are going to think "what a dumbass!"? or will you turn around and think "what a gutsy kid!"? If Lincoln turns out to be this kid's Mecca, as we should all hope, which of you supposed Husker fans will mock his decision, in word or in thought?

• Fire 1

So then, if/when Mr. Starling winds up in Lincoln as a two sport athlete for the next few years, which of you (mealy mouth nay-sayers) are going to think "what a dumbass!"? or will you turn around and think "what a gutsy kid!"? If Lincoln turns out to be this kid's Mecca, as we should all hope, which of you supposed Husker fans will mock his decision, in word or in thought?

That is a fair question. Here is my answer, if I had a friend with a winning lotto ticket and he decided to drive to the lotto office with it with it hanging out the window up against his hand, daring something bad to happen, I would think he was a moron. Assuming nothing happend and he cashed it, I would still think he was a moron but we would sit around laughing about it, while he was rich.

So, the same goes for this situation, I will think its a bad call but if he comes to NU then I hope that I hope it all works out really well for him so that I can laugh about it later. "Man, remember when I thought he should have went and played baseball right away, I was totally wrong".

I would ask you now, what will you say (assuming you want him to pass up the millions) if he comes to NU and either never lives up to the hype and doesnt get drafted in either sport later on or gets hurt and can't play. What would you say then?

• Fire 2

Anyone else think that Bubba would be playing in he majors a lot sooner if he did choose college first? I do. Gordon Beckham comes to mind when you put it in those terms. Alex Gordon was in AA for a season then to the majors. He is not a pitcher. So there would not be as big of a head-smacking factor in him going to college first if he did choose that route. Somebody that I know is the manager for the AA affiliate of the Royals and he said this awhile ago about the draft: If you are a position player going to college isn't a bad choice because you go and hit off future big league ball players and learn your position at a higher level. If you are a pitcher then you go because you don't want to waste your arm in college.

It would not be stupid for Bubba to choose NU. It would not be stupid for Bubba to choose the majors. If I were Bubba I would choose the path with the best fall safe situation. I would ask myself "If I screw this up, which way would hurt my future endeavors the least?" It all comes down to what matters the most to Bubba and his family. I wouldn't want to be in Bubba's position. I know for a fact that I will not hold a grudge against him if he chooses to play baseball, if he chooses to play football for us, I will still wear red and be loud every Saturday.

I'd sure as heck be happy, but I do think he needs to take this MLB opportunity. It's just to big to pass up, he can always go back to college later.

Not me. I'd be happy he's with the Huskers, and I'd figure that he has different priorities than me, and I'd hope the very best of luck for him to stay healthy and be drafted high in one or both sports in 4 years.

Another question: With Martinez and Carnes here, how vital do you think it is that he come here? As it turns out, Carl Crawford probably would've been huge for us since it could've also put Lord at a more natural position, thus helping us out at 2 spots.

I hate when people use a person's realistic perspective to paint them as not being a "true" fan. It reminds me of those who like to label people "unpatriotic" for their stance on certain political issues. Look, someone can still be a fan and wish for the best, while understanding that the ideal situation is often not the most likely.

With that being said, I agree with those who would not fault Bubba in the least for choosing baseball over a football career at Nebraska. Personally, I'd love to see him play football, but I'd feel awful if he did so and got injured or turned out to not be the second coming of Crouch. I'm sure it's a tough decision for the kid.

• Fire 1

Anyone else think that Bubba would be playing in he majors a lot sooner if he did choose college first? I do. Gordon Beckham comes to mind when you put it in those terms. Alex Gordon was in AA for a season then to the majors. He is not a pitcher.

Gordon made the majors (and you can barely call the Royals the majors) quickly, but it doesn't seem like college prepared him well for it because he went back down to the minors until this year.

I had to look up Gordon Beckham to see who he was. I'm not all that convinced by a .255 hitter. Where was he drafted out of HS? There are plenty of examples for and against going to college or not.

Carl Crawford made the majors at age 20.

edit: found that Beckham wasn't even drafted out of HS, so his decision wasn't even close to Starling's. Certainly there are guys who develop late, and college helps. Bubba doesn't seem to be one of them.

I'm thinking that, given NU's newfound penchant for the quarterback being an important part of the ground game, and given that dual-threat quarterbacks are not as sought after as the prototypical pro-style variety, it would be wise to stockpile as many as possible, in case ONE gets hurt, you aren't tanking offensively. Hell, It may even become the case that QB's become interchangeable like RB's and WR's are...say for instance: QB 1 in for a series, or even just a few plays, then QB 2 in, QB 3 on short yardage, etc. In fact, Florida did something similar to great effect during Meyer's initial MNC run, as much as I think tebow is a clown, he was a great option in a short yardage situation.

Flip the whole concept of offense over on it's head, make a new model, a team model, where the #1 QB isn't important. The offense is. No more about "star" players(ESPN/Kingmakers be damned), rather a warring platoon replete with interchangeable moving parts.

Boy, that concept would mess with the big slow ten for sure...plus kinda old school Nebraska-ish.

• Fire 1

You are so right. Athletes that get paid salaries the size of Lichtensteins GDP are definately what make sports so great.. What was I thinking??

The money is quite simply disgusting. Bubba doesn't strike me as the kind of kid who is all about the money, otherwise the issue of him going to college wouldn't still be discussed. If Bubba starts to become the kind of kid who is all about the money than I certainly hope and am sure he will play baseball.

You're certainly right. Bubba himself has said he doesn't know if he's mature enough to be an adult just yet...don't forget about the numerous and practical intangible benefits of going to college for a few years and learning how to grow up and become an adult.

• Fire 1