The Bubba Starling Thread

I wonder when the date for enrollment for freshmen are. Actually signing up for classes.

That should be the next date we watch.(still surprised he is here, 6.2 mil???????????)

It would be whenever his orientation is, if athletes are even required to do that (I'm guessing not). If not, it's whenever the heck you want before the first day of class.

I read he was going to take some class(es) right away this summer.

Here T_O_B's $.02 worth. Baseball, for pitchers, is a bit different. Look at Stephen Strasburg, phenom for 4/5 games and then Tommy John surgery. He might never really be a factor again. $6.2 mil? compared to first round NFL money is a spit in the wind.

I think Bubba's gonna play FB and maybe even some BB at Nebraska.

T_O_B

:bigredn::bigredn::bigredn:

• Fire 1

I read he was going to take some class(es) right away this summer.

Here T_O_B's $.02 worth. Baseball, for pitchers, is a bit different. Look at Stephen Strasburg, phenom for 4/5 games and then Tommy John surgery. He might never really be a factor again. $6.2 mil? compared to first round NFL money is a spit in the wind.

I think Bubba's gonna play FB and maybe even some BB at Nebraska.

T_O_B

:bigredn::bigredn::bigredn:

You are talking about a guaranteed $6.2 million he can without question get, as compared to a chance at more money in the NFL IF he develops into the football player people think he is capable of.

If this were your family, and your future, are you going to pass up a guaranteed multi-million dollar deal for just a chance at more money 3, 4, or 5 years down the road? I know without question I would not, and I could not advise any kid to do that.

Bubba will take the money, and him coming to Lincoln is just a bargaining chip. That is pretty much a reality most folks need to deal with.

Also, Bubba isn't a pitcher. Bubba was scouted, and drafted as an OF.

Maybe in a few years if Bubba doesn't succeed with the whole baseball thing we will get him back. But in the near future we are going with the QBs we have.

Were talking about the Royals here and the thriftiest owner in the Bigs. David Glass a former CEO of Walmart, cheap runs in his blood. His squad is a farm team for the others and I'm not buying it.

Top 5 Highest Paid Royals for 2011 Season

Joakim Soria: $4 million

Jason Kendall: $3.75 million

Kyle Davies: $3.2 million

Billy Butler: $3 million

Jeff Francoeur: $2.5 million

Were talking about the Royals here and the thriftiest owner in the Bigs. David Glass a former CEO of Walmart, cheap runs in his blood. His squad is a farm team for the others and I'm not buying it.

KC has not been cheap when it comes to paying draftees. In 2008 they even gave Eric Hosmer a $6 million signing bonus out of HS. Even this year they got active in international signing and paid a record $3.05 million signing bonus to 16 year old Elier Hernandez.

Over a 3 year period from '08-'10 the Royals have spent $24.5 million on all their draft picks. That ranks 5th in the majors during that time.

Granted you are right they do not put big bucks into their MLB roster, but the Royals damm well spend on their draft picks as much as anyone.

KC has not been cheap when it comes to paying draftees. In 2008 they even gave Eric Hosmer a $6 million signing bonus out of HS. Even this year they got active in international signing and paid a record $3.05 million signing bonus to 16 year old Elier Hernandez.

Over a 3 year period from '08-'10 the Royals have spent $24.5 million on all their draft picks. That ranks 5th in the majors during that time.

Granted you are right they do not put big bucks into their MLB roster, but the Royals damm well spend on their draft picks as much as anyone.

This. The idea that the Royals are cheep on their tallent is pre-Dayton Moore thinking. They aren't going to sign an A-Rod type to 30 million a year, but they can certainly afford (and with Dayton and the helm will be willing to pay) whatever Bubba is looking for. 3 years from now Bubba could easily sell an extra 100,000-150,000 tickets a season just being the local boy. That's only 1200 or so a game. Not a stretch at all. It's not a huge risk for the Royals. He pays for himself just by putting on a uniform. They'll pay him. Speaking of uniforms, you know how many Starling jerseys would be sold in KC? TONS

And 2011 is a rebuilding year in KC. 2010 top-5 looked like this...

Gil Meche $12,400,000

Jose Guillen $12,000,000

Zack Greinke $7,250,000

David DeJesus $4,700,000

Kyle Farnsworth $4,500,000