The Bubba Starling Thread

The outcome was never in question. I was just here to people watch, and you all did not disappoint me.

Boy I love all the "I knew what was gonna happen" people.

Gotta love the hopeful optimism of some folks, but to me it was a no-brainer. If he had been taken lower, or to a different team, then I would have been more on the fence about what an 18 year old "kid" was going to do with his life.

I'm glad to see that Scott Boras finally got his butt kicked. He used all his usual tactics which did nothing but cause Husker fans hope and heartache, but in the end the Royals offered 7.5 million and thats what they got him for. This is not a slight towards Bubba or his family because 7.5 mil is a win for them and they deserve it, but its an obvious loss for Boras.

Well, it was fun. I watched the MLB channel and they had an interesting take on all of this. They said the whole thing was ridiculous and that the MLB should stop doing what they did with Bubba Starling. Stating that the Royals new along that they would land him because the ground work was in place. "They never would have drafted him if the figures weren't right". It all make sense. I think it was BS if Bubba knew all along and he was just playing the game. I hope Nebraska fans AND Pelini learned from this experience, much like Frank did. Good thing we didn't waste a schollie on him.

We haven't seen the last of him, he'll be at Werner Park soon. If he's a bust or beat with broken promises and bounced around similar to Gordon, with singing bonus in pocket if the Royals don't treat him right we hope to see you in Lincoln. But really I can see him becoming a star and moving on like Greinke,

Some info on the deal:

Starling turns down Nebraska for Royals

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Three-sport star Bubba Starling, perhaps the most celebrated high school athlete in Kansas history, made a last-second decision Monday night to forgo football at Nebraska and play baseball for the Kansas City Royals.

A person familiar with the negotiations said Starling received a team-record rookie signing bonus of $7.5 million spread over three years.

The tall, lean and exceptionally fast Starling grew up in Edgerton, Kan., about 30 minutes southwest of Kauffman Stadium. The Royals made him the fifth player taken in the June baseball draft.

"Things really didn't heat up until probably the last 5 or 6 minutes," said general manager Dayton Moore. "It came down pretty quick. I've got a lot of adrenaline going through me right now."

Moore indicated the Royals did not make a last-minute addition to their final offer.

"We had had some talks earlier today and just kind of left it at that. We just kind of reached out together."

With a scholarship to play quarterback for the Cornhuskers, Starling and super agent Scott Boras had plenty of leverage in hardball negotiations which apparently did not get resolved until Starling agreed to terms moments before the 11 p.m. CDT deadline.

"I sweat them all out," Moore said. "This was particularly tough. We knew on draft day and prior to draft day that this had a chance to work really, really good or had a chance to go wrong."

Bubba plays hard ball: NU recruit signs with Royals

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON

Husker football coach Bo Pelini expressed understanding with the decision, saying Starling was in a win-win situation.

"Everyone associated with our football program at Nebraska wishes Bubba nothing but the best in his future with the Kansas City Royals' organization," Pelini said in a statement. "I know this decision has been very difficult for Bubba and his family, as it would be for anyone in his position."

Pelini, a big Cleveland fan, even capped his statement with a joke.

"I personally will root for Bubba in every game except when he plays against the Indians!"

And while many thought they knew what Starling would do all along, there was still a great fascination in Nebraska about the decision he faced.

Just around 5 p.m. Monday, the name "Bubba Starling" was the No. 1 search item in the U.S., according to Google Trends, momentarily getting even more searches than "Kim Kardashian wedding."